Jump to content

Motor City Sonics

2020 Draft AS IT HAPPENS thread.

Recommended Posts

Barry Sanders had "decent" moves? Yikes, that's an argument waiting to be lost.

Anyway, running backs being short isn't a big deal and in fact, the shorter ones have an advantage because their low center of gravity makes it harder to take them down and have less of a tendency to take big hits. The thing about Swift too is that he has a linebacker build so he's going to break a lot of tackles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching Barry run from the upper reaches of the Silverdome was fun...you could watch him decently move around defenses like a video game.  One second he's hemmed in...the next you're saying "holy heck...he's gonna break that one"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Watching Barry run from the upper reaches of the Silverdome was fun...you could watch him decently move around defenses like a video game.  One second he's hemmed in...the next you're saying "holy heck...he's gonna break that one"

My son has been playing the newest Madden and it seems Barry is available in some mode or other in that. Tbh he was better in real life than on a video game; I'm sure there are things he did that aren't possible in the game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2020 at 8:22 AM, Blue Square Thing said:

My son has been playing the newest Madden and it seems Barry is available in some mode or other in that. Tbh he was better in real life than on a video game; I'm sure there are things he did that aren't possible in the game.

100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

btw, kudos to Bob Quinn in drafting d'andre swift.  he found the perfect lions running back!  ive never seen a player fit right in with the team culture on his first day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2020 at 5:00 AM, Lei Pong said:

Watching Barry run from the upper reaches of the Silverdome was fun...you could watch him decently move around defenses like a video game.  One second he's hemmed in...the next you're saying "holy heck...he's gonna break that one"

I would always sit at the top of the upper deck for that reason. So much fun. We liked the back row because you could stand on the seats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2020 at 4:37 PM, Buddha said:

btw, kudos to Bob Quinn in drafting d'andre swift.  he found the perfect lions running back!  ive never seen a player fit right in with the team culture on his first day!

It was really, incredibly sad and fitting to watch Swift get Lionized like that after one game. Bob Quinn has now had 4 of his 5 2nd round draft picks be either complete busts and/or gigantic disappointments.

2016: A'Shawn Robinson - Disappointment for the Lions, no longer with the team. We'll see what, if anything, he does for the Rams.

2017: Teez Tabor - Complete bust and no longer in the league.

2018: Kerryon Johnson - On his way to being a complete bust if he can't stay health and see the field.

2019: Jahlani Tavai - On his way to being a complete bust and way to slow and stodgy to cover the kind of speed guys have in the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It was really, incredibly sad and fitting to watch Swift get Lionized like that after one game. Bob Quinn has now had 4 of his 5 2nd round draft picks be either complete busts and/or gigantic disappointments.

2016: A'Shawn Robinson - Disappointment for the Lions, no longer with the team. We'll see what, if anything, he does for the Rams.

2017: Teez Tabor - Complete bust and no longer in the league.

2018: Kerryon Johnson - On his way to being a complete bust if he can't stay health and see the field.

2019: Jahlani Tavai - On his way to being a complete bust and way to slow and stodgy to cover the kind of speed guys have in the NFL.

this is not a good FO. But what do you expect? Who in the Ford Family would know a good football operation if smacked them upside the head? If the Fords want to own a public attraction with their name on it, they should sell the Lions and try building an Art Museum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

this is not a good FO. But what do you expect? Who in the Ford Family would know a good football operation if smacked them upside the head? If the Fords want to own a public attraction with their name on it, they should sell the Lions and try building an Art Museum.

But that's the thing, this time they went to the League and asked for help and the League gave them Bob Quinn.

Now, the League gave them Ernie Accorsi who just went around to people he knew and said "who's good"?  And his friend Bill Belicheck recommended Quinn so there you go.  You would like to think that if the Lions had an engaged ownership they would have identified people to take charge.  However, let's be honest, in corporate America it's always a search firm who is out hiring top management candidates and not the actual ownership unless they are promoting from within.

The League let the Lions down this time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest takeaway I have it is human nature to assume someone working in a successful enterprise must be successful themselves.

Unfortunately there are plenty of uninspired people working in successful enterprises - and - being successful in a supporting role does not mean one can successfully lead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Buddha said:

And his friend Bill Belicheck recommended Quinn

And then, what could be easier for a head coach every one thinks is a genius looking to upgrade his defense than doing a little road grading for Patricia so he didn't have to fire him outright. I guess maybe he is a genius!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The biggest takeaway I have it is human nature to assume someone working in a successful enterprise must be successful themselves.

Unfortunately there are plenty of uninspired people working in successful enterprises - and - being successful in a supporting role does not mean one can successfully lead.

Yup, it's a complex stew. A successful org need leaders, creators, implementers. A given group may have those talents distributed in different ways and when you pull out one person it's easy to make bad assumptions about how he will do solo or with a team of his own choosing unless you knew his previous organization well enough to have understood everyone's roles. And Belichek plays close enough to the vest that probably no-one has that kind of knowledge about the Pat org beyond him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With only 32 teams someone has to suck.  All 32 teams can't be a success.  So it is possible a pretty successful person ends up looking bad even though they might not be all that bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Plenty of guys have passed through the Lions org over the years that went on to be quite successful.

Including Belichick 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

With only 32 teams someone has to suck.  All 32 teams can't be a success.  So it is possible a pretty successful person ends up looking bad even though they might not be all that bad.

I could buy that argument about Al Avila, but Quinn and Patricia don't show much evidence of being good at what they have been hired to do even compared to Al. Quinn esp. Patricia is easy to skewer because he is both a caricature and obnoxious enough to deserve it, but TBF only the very best coaches can overcome weak rosters and overall the talent level on the team under Quinn has been treading water at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My pet peeve with Quinns drafting, atleast in the early rounds is the positions he went with.  In the first round he has went OT,  Coverage LB, C/G, TE and CB.

OT is obviously fine in the mid 1st, but a guy like Davis, atleast with how they planned to use him is a bit of a reach at that spot.  Davis would need to be an all pro level coverage LB for that pick to even be worth it.  A C/G is a major reach in the 1st as is a TE in the top 10.  Hard to blame him for the Okudah pick if no trade was available but still picking a CB in the top 3 is almost unheard of. 

To me many of those picks would be fine if you were a team like the Patriots that were set at the most important positions and could afford to take chances on less valuable positions, but the Lions were never in that position. 

On top of that in the 2nd he has taken RB multiple times, another non pass rushing LB and a CB who many didn't think had the speed to stick there.  

Again many of these are what I would call luxury picks.   I don't mind reaching for a guy like Swift, but the other guys would need to be head and shoulders above everybody else in their position to be worthy of drafting that early and they simply weren't viewed that way then and have proved to not be that way now.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll never understand drafting a TE in the first round when you have a team so devoid of talent at so many levels. Regardless of who the GM, this organization seems to really value the position. Drafting a TE on a team this devoid of talent (and was this devoid of talent when the prior regime was here) is like building a car from the ground up and starting with leather seats instead of wheels or an engine. They have no pass rush, can't get pressure on the QB, and get gashed on run defense, but hey, let's go with a TE at the expense of greater positional value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as the Ebron picked back fired, particularly due to how great Donald turned out at the time it was atleast defensible cause I feel that team had far less holes.  We also didn't know for sure that Fairley and Suh would be gone.    Plus Mayhew probably felt like he had to get somebody that could make an immediate impact and even though they just resigned Pettigrew at TE, Ebron looked like he could be sorta a hybrid so him paired with Calvin and Tate would look pretty appealing to management. 

At that time I think the position that could've stepped right in and made the most impact was either another pass rushing END or a Wide Receiver.  There really wasn't no DE worth taking that early so he opted for the "Wide Receiver".  Unfortunately Ebron wasn't as fast or agile as his combine numbers suggested.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...