Motor City Sonics

2020 Draft AS IT HAPPENS thread.

lionsb_logo.gif Detroit Lions: D'Andre Swift, RB, Georgia - A+ Grade
I love this pick. The Lions needed someone to challenge or take over for Kerryon Johnson, who can't stay healthy. They upgraded Johnson here with a player who easily could've been chosen as high as No. 18 overall. Running backs dropped because the need wasn't there for the most part in the 17-32 range, so the Lions are getting a steal with the best player at his position in the entire class.

I wouldn't have drafted a RB but at least they didn't reach and got a good player.

Off the top of my head, I believe Tavai is the only player they have drafted in the 2nd round who wasn't from the SEC. 

I was hoping for Swift. Of course I also once hoped for Chuck Long. Regardless I really like the pick

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, leflore said:

I was hoping for Swift. Of course I also once hoped for Chuck Long. Regardless I really like the pick

I thought Barry Sanders was too small to ever stay healthy in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Apparently holding interviews with Tua wasn't enough. The only way you could really convince a team you were serious about drafting Tua is if Stafford wasn't on the roster. 

It not the threat of the Lions taking Tua, it was the threat of someone jumping you and trading with Detroit.

The last time the Lions picked a 5'8" 212 lb rb ranked #1 in his class was Barry Sanders.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I thought Barry Sanders was too small to ever stay healthy in the NFL.

Barry was short.  He was not small.   He may have had the biggest legs in the league. 

7 minutes ago, leflore said:

Correct.  I should have written short.

2 minutes ago, Longgone said:

It not the threat of the Lions taking Tua, it was the threat of someone jumping you and trading with Detroit.

Of course, but the original post was that the Lions gave no inkling they were taking anybody other than Okudah. Whether they gave an inkling they would take Simmons or Brown meant nothing. They had to give an inkling they were taking Tua. I think that's BS but that was the context of the post. 

Ameer was an explosive RB that we took in the 2nd round ignoring his history of fumbling.  That turned out terribly.  I hope D’Andre can figure out how to protect the football.   

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

Ameer was an explosive RB that we took in the 2nd round ignoring his history of fumbling.  That turned out terribly.  I hope D’Andre can figure out how to protect the football.   

Swift doesn't have any problem, you must be thinking of Taylor.

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

And Ameer was a fake fast. He only ran a 4.6

1 minute ago, Longgone said:

Swift doesn't have any problem, you must be thinking of Taylor.

The scouting report I saw listed his ball security as one of his weaknesses. 

Swift ran 4.48, and jumped well at the combine. I read where he's caught 73 of 90 passes attempted his way over his past 20 games. Stafford will love him, obviously.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

So the problem is Quinn didn't give other teams an inkling that they might do something different.

How does he provide that inkling?

That’s the point. It is inconceivable. He is who they thought he was. 

I'm ok with it. Before being the Putrid Pass Rush team, remember the Lions were the league's Putrid Run Game team - until KJ finally broke 100. They need a way to keep the other team's potent offense threats off the field and on the sidelines. Like Trubisky

Just now, Buddha said:

sounds like the perfect bob quinn player.

Exactly what I was thinking. 

I think he will be a good player, and they needed a RB. But this is what KJ was supposed to be two years ago — a three down back.

So the first round pick was to back fill for Slay, and the second round pick is an admission that KJ is being demoted. 

And this is what Quinn is doing when his back is against the wall. 

I would rather have had them fill a hole in OL, then wait for a more one-dimensional back, and then let Bevell scheme the **** out of that one dimension. 

• Thanks 1