JMB

3way deal...Sheed a Piston

This was reported on 97.1 and various media outlets in Boston... Apparently, it is almost complete that boston is getting atkins, atlanta is getting chris mills from boston and rebraca, sura, and a 1st rounder from us, and that we are getting rasheed. No confirmation yet, but sounds pretty good to me.

How much salary cap space would this clear for the off-season? I am going to assume that we are just renting Sheed until the offseason when he signs with the Knicks.

Guys, I went to the pistons game tonight and as I was walking in, the guy on the speaker/radio said that the Rasheed wallace press conference is tomorrow at 2. That pretty much gives it away...we got him...:confused:

Isiah is close to striking again sending Kurt Thomas, Deke Mutombo and spare parts to Golden State for Erick Dampier and Nick Van Exel!!

Now KYK might be short a PF - but that team is getting scarier and scarier. And NVE might be dealt for a PF without ever landing in NY.

Originally posted by Hongbit

How much salary cap space would this clear for the off-season? I am going to assume that we are just renting Sheed until the offseason when he signs with the Knicks.

As best as I can figure out, at the end of the season the Pistons would have about 37.7 million of salary, the cap is around 44. If they trade Atkins they will get another 4.2 million to go with the 5 or 6 they would have to sign Okur.

Alright, so I went to the game tonight and I talked with a couple of buddies of mine that work as security at the palace, and then I talked to Michael Curry's son. Right now, it is almost positive that Corliss Williamson, Zelly, Bobby Sura, and Chucky Atkins will be traded for Rasheed Wallace. Corliss and Chucky were hugging and said good bye to one of their biggest fans after the game, and Chucky gave away his shoes. I also heard him say, "I'll call you as soon as I found out it's for sure."

That was from a reputable poster on another board who is a season ticket holder.

Ok, doesnt Wallace make somewhere around 17 million a year, and dont we have to trade about that much in value to make the deal work? How are we doing that with the above mentioned players exactly?

Originally posted by Deleterious

Ok, doesnt Wallace make somewhere around 17 million a year, and dont we have to trade about that much in value to make the deal work? How are we doing that with the above mentioned players exactly?

I don't know which players you are referring to, but if it's B. Higginson's post...Sura (6.1), Atkins (3.9), Corliss (5.0) and Zelly (4.2) are more than enough. If this story is true the Pistons will have destroyed their bench and will be really thin in the backcourt unless there is another player involved in the deal.

This is EXACTLY the reason I left Pistons.com to come to this board. Intelligent discussion, information provided with sources indicated, and good information. You guys rock.

Anyway, if this is indeed true, I couldn't be happier for a couple of reasons. First of all, we obviously get a better front line and a good scorer. This will open up our guards for more open looks and generally help the defense with size and rebounding.

Secondy, a more subtle thing this does is remove both Chucky and Sura. I have nothing against those players individually, however it removes the option of playing a 3 guard lineup from LBs bag of tricks and almost forces him to go big. The small lineups have been killing us, and this should solve that problem.

Third, I honestly was hoping for Hunter to get back in there due to his defense and consistent play early in the season. I thought he deserved the backup PG spot, and now it will happen.

Fourth, we didn't have to trade any of our core players to do this deal, in fact we made out like bandits by dropping both long-term contracts and renting a good player as well.

On the flip side, Corliss has been playing VERY well lately, but I guess he is an older player with a pricey long term contract, so it makes sense to move him now.

Due to LBs reluctance to overuse the young guys, I imagine his starting lineup will be:

Billups

Hamilton

Prince

Wallace

Wallace

...with Memo providing an offensive spark off the bench.

There is no way both Atkins and Williamson are involved in this deal. I think the trade works out as Rebraca, Atkins, Sura, Ham, and Fowlkes or Rebraca, Atkins, Sura and Hunter. Either deal will severely limit our bench, so perhaps another deal is in place to deal Williamson for some bench help? I guess we'll see.

Originally posted by Hongbit

How much salary cap space would this clear for the off-season?

This would leave them with about 7 million. That would probably give them a fair shot at resigning Okur. I can't see the Pistons paying him much more than what Wallace makes.

For the record, JMB only mentioned Atkins, Rebraca, and Sura as players we were losing, not Corliss, although I would have rather lost Corliss than Atkins. Atkins has played well this year from what I've seen, and given us some much needed lift when our guard play was suffering.

Regardless this is a monster trade. HUUUUUUGGGGEEEE. I'm so psyched you have no idea. This guy makes us the favorite to win the East now in my eyes. Of course this is not having even seen him play.

I'll tell you another thing, if he pans out, plays well and LB and he get along well don't be surprised if we sign him and not Okur this offseason. It's gonna be a touchy situation I think this offseason. Okur will probably command 6-8 mil this offseason. Wallace could get more but word has been that he'd take the MLE to play for the Knicks. If he'd take that to play for us as well, and Memo and LB's relationship doesn't improve while Rasheed and LB start bonding like the UNC family they are it could make things interesting this offseason. I'm not convinced that Wallace is the cancer he used to be. I remember hating the guy, but haven't really heard much complaint about him in the past 2 years. We'll see I suppose...either way, this year just got interesting.

Originally posted by Betrayer

This is EXACTLY the reason I left Pistons.com to come to this board. Intelligent discussion, information provided with sources indicated, and good information. You guys rock.

Well, I'm certainly glad you stopped by and gave us a look. Our non-Tiger team forums still have a lot of room to grow and the best way to do that is to fill the forum with Intelligent discussions, which we have done for the most part. :wink:

Your contributions will certainly help us attract more Piston fans!

Hmmmmm...

Things seem to be cooling off now, and the "we got Sheed" talk is no longer sounding as convincing in the media. Add to that Chad Ford in his ESPN Insider article this morning saying that Sheed will not be moved by the deadline and I'm starting to get sad :depress:

Originally posted by Betrayer

Hmmmmm...

Things seem to be cooling off now, and the "we got Sheed" talk is no longer sounding as convincing in the media. Add to that Chad Ford in his ESPN Insider article this morning saying that Sheed will not be moved by the deadline and I'm starting to get sad :depress:

I just saw DA on ESPN saying it will probably get done, so take your pick. Guess we will know for sure in 3 hours.

WXYT reported on their 1 PM sportscat that the deal is likely dead, and the Detroit is talking to Boston about Chris Mills.

From another board...no link was provided, but references to WDFN

Detroit : Wallace (via Atl) and Mike James (via Bos)

Boston: Hunter and Atkins (via Det)

Atlanta : Mills (Bos) Rebraca and Sura (Det)

Hey Voic...er Betrayer. Nice to see you landed somewhere else. Anyways Rashedd may want to stay in Detroit once he gets here and gets to play next to Ben and under Dumars. It would be cool if he wants to stay for a little less money.

Originally posted by darko99

Hey Voic...er Betrayer. Nice to see you landed somewhere else. Anyways Rashedd may want to stay in Detroit once he gets here and gets to play next to Ben and under Dumars. It would be cool if he wants to stay for a little less money.

Nope, I'm not Voice. My name was Betrayer on the other site as well.