stanpapi

The state of things

I'd just like to report that I'm done with the board effective today. My privileges to read the Politics board were just revoked for posting a view that was different than the rest of the board. I stopped posting there about a month ago because of being banned for no reason. I decided to come back and test it again. That was my mistake. Maroth4MVP was removed today too, and I suspect others either have been removed, or will be soon.  The bottom line is that the site is not a place for professional adult discourse. It's a place where everyone has to have the same opinion. If you don't, or you try to debate it in a professional way, you're banned, or, as we see now, your privileges are revoked. As a result, I am more than happy to go other places where all views are respected and allowed to be heard. 

I will no longer visit the board, won't drive ad traffic to it and will encourage anyone else I know to do the same- as loudly as possible.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Please, please, please encourage as many of the similar people that you meet in your tin foil web hangouts to avoid Motown Sports.   Please do this as loudly as possible.  

Cheers! 

• Thanks 2

I didn't even know there was a politics board. That might be fun. If you need to agree or be banned, that's pretty much a microcosm of American politics. Agree with the Donald or get fired. And it looks like Fauci might be next

Thanks for the update.  Tell your friends in the Crains comments section I said hi.  Good luck in your future endeavors.

13 minutes ago, leflore said:

I didn't even know there was a politics board. That might be fun. If you need to agree or be banned, that's pretty much a microcosm of American politics. Agree with the Donald or get fired. And it looks like Fauci might be next

at the risk of offending anyone here, I don't get the purpose of a politics board.  it's like social media--you're never going to change anyone's mind (at least not the type of people who would frequent a political web site).  I suppose it could be cathartic in some way, but also very frustrating.

I'll pass.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

at the risk of offending anyone here, I don't get the purpose of a politics board.  it's like social media--you're never going to change anyone's mind (at least not the type of people who would frequent a political web site).  I suppose it could be cathartic in some way, but also very frustrating.

I'll pass.

except that it is not like social media in that it is moderated, which means that under normal circumstance good discussion can ensue. Many people here have gotten to where they respect each other's opinions enough to be interested in what each other think about more than just sports. If it's not to one's taste, that is fine, there is never any compulsion to be there.

I learn lots of interesting things there, and see some funny memes.  I had recently used Ignore on both of those guys and it was remarkably pleasant after that.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

except that it is not like social media in that it is moderated, which means that under normal circumstance good discussion can ensue. Many people here have gotten to where they respect each other's opinions enough to be interested in what each other think about more than just sports. If it's not to one's taste, that is fine, there is never any compulsion to be there.

fair enough.  but based on stan papi's declaration and everyone's reaction, I've seen enough to realize it's probably not my cup of tea.

plus, I'm an Adlai Stevenson guy.

38 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

fair enough.  but based on stan papi's declaration and everyone's reaction, I've seen enough to realize it's probably not my cup of tea.

well, in terms of people getting themselves banned, I would say that is more often the result of their attitudes than their opinions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

plus, I'm an Adlai Stevenson guy.

I'd like to see sugarman Sixto Rodriguez in office. He once ran for mayor of Detroit 

When I step into the Political Forum I’m transformed from Dr. Jekyll wielding medicine into Mr. Hyde wielding a bloodied hammer and sickle. That’s why I’ve made barely more than a dozen visits in 16 years. 

• Haha 1

The political board sucks.

Why does it suck?  Because there is no reasonable disagreement with some posters.  Instead, they simply post stuff in order to troll people who disagree with them.  As if the point is not to have a discussion, but rather to throw something in someone else's face to get a reaction rather than have a discussion.

Those who have been banned have no one to blame but themselves.  And the Christ complex is hilarious.  Take some responsibility for yourself for a change.

• Thanks 1

And they should close this thread too before certain posters get banned from the entire site.

I seldom post in any forum, and never in the political one. I do read that forum, there are many good links to sources for being more informed as a person and as a citizen. I learn things there. But the drivel spewed by the two banned members was corrosive, not counterpoint. Good riddance. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You'll be back when you need attention. Isn't that the point of this dumb thread? You need to read people talking about you? 

Generally not the best idea to shout from the rooftops how minor a virus is and tell people it's not affecting them when the moderator's father just died of it.

15 hours ago, stanpapi said:

I'd just like to report that I'm done with the board effective today. My privileges to read the Politics board were just revoked for posting a view that was different than the rest of the board. I stopped posting there about a month ago because of being banned for no reason. I decided to come back and test it again. That was my mistake. Maroth4MVP was removed today too, and I suspect others either have been removed, or will be soon.  The bottom line is that the site is not a place for professional adult discourse. It's a place where everyone has to have the same opinion. If you don't, or you try to debate it in a professional way, you're banned, or, as we see now, your privileges are revoked. As a result, I am more than happy to go other places where all views are respected and allowed to be heard. 

I will no longer visit the board, won't drive ad traffic to it and will encourage anyone else I know to do the same- as loudly as possible.

You weren’t banned a month ago for no reason. You were banned because you used my girlfriend’s sick one year old son as a prop to score a political point. You know this and you still play the victim. 

Don’t let the door...

8 hours ago, Buddha said:

And they should close this thread too before certain posters get banned from the entire site.

Seeing that this is not even close to being a thread about the Detroit Tigers, I second this motion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I went ahead and made this clowns banishment to include the entire board instead of just the political forum. Probably should have done this much sooner...  sorry.  

For the record, users can support whomever they wish as long as they are civil to others with differing opinions.  It’s when you go above and beyond and act like a total disruptive idiot that usually gets an early exit from the board.

Both stanpapi and MAROTH4MVP have been permanently sent to the showers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6