Hongbit

2020 College Football Thread

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's going to be hard for them to get any top CB recruits.  For starters very few top CB's come from the midwest, of the top 100 CBs next year only 3 came from Big 10 states(1 from Michigan that chose Penn State), so to get those guys you're going to have to go south.  And the guys from the South that do actually come up north choose Ohio State since they have the well deserved rep of "Cornerback U".   So if they want to end up with good ones they will probably have to coach up either 3 star or lower 4 star guys.  

ohio state is in the playoff every year, that's why they get 5* recruits and michigan and penn state and notre dame do not.

the ability to be in the final four is paramount nowadays.  when they expand to 8 or 16, it will aid the next level schools like michigan in recruiting.

Just now, Buddha said:

ohio state is in the playoff every year, that's why they get 5* recruits and michigan and penn state and notre dame do not.

the ability to be in the final four is paramount nowadays.  when they expand to 8 or 16, it will aid the next level schools like michigan in recruiting.

True but I think it's gotta help to say to a DB that they've had something like 5 or 6 CBs taken in the 1st round the past 5 years.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Sorta like a QB and UM....

When's the last Michigan QB to get drafted in the 1st round?     

On 9/16/2020 at 3:31 PM, six-hopper said:

Not immune to this virus that produces no symptoms in the vast majority of the people who are "infected"?  Horrors!

At least with the flu, you know that you have it without the necessity of a test.

What sort of "pandemic" doesn't even make most of its "victims" sick?

Uh,...... OK.

Yeah they got lucky not having to face Wisconsin or Minnesota.  Probably would've destroyed them anyway but with that said if they did had an off day one of those two teams could've potentially pulled the upset.   There aren't too many other teams in the Big 10 that I think could do that.

53 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

That OSU schedule is one giant cup cake.  PSU is their only real test.  

Agree.  I wonder what the original crossover games were.

Giant hot take of hot takes:  No undefeated B10 teams after championship weekend.  There has to be a line for that, right?

Perhaps 2020 is starting to normalize a bit...

Source: Deion Sanders expected to be named Jackson State football coach

Source: Deion Sanders expected to be named Jackson State football coach
Rashad Milligan
Mississippi Clarion Ledger

Former NFL star Deion Sanders is expected to be named the next football coach at Jackson State, a source familiar with the situation told the Clarion Ledger on Friday.

The source spoke on a condition of anonymity because the deal hasn't been finalized.

Sanders, 53, played in the NFL for 14 seasons and in the MLB for nine seasons. Nicknamed "Prime Time," Sanders was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2011.

Jackson State isn't playing football in 2020 because of the COVID-19 pandemic and has announced a spring schedule. The first game is Feb. 27 at home against Mississippi Valley State.

I’m going to go out on a limb and proclaim that this is the first time a 19th ranked team has won an overtime game at Georgia State.

18 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

When's the last Michigan QB to get drafted in the 1st round?     

As you probably already know, Michigan has had only two quarterbacks drafted in the first round -- and one of them, Forest Evashevski, wasn't a QB in the modern sense, but rather a single-wing "quarterback."  And he also never played pro football.

The other first-round quarterback was, of course, Jim Harbaugh in 1987.

Michigan did produce a pretty good quarterback who went in the sixth round in 2000, though.

49 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and proclaim that this is the first time a 19th ranked team has won an overtime game at Georgia State.

Not a very bold statement, given that until this nothing whatsoever had ever happened at Georgia State. 

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

Not a very bold statement, given that until this nothing whatsoever had ever happened at Georgia State. 

Sorry, I guess I forgot to use the obviously sarcasm font.

33 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Sorry, I guess I forgot to use the obviously sarcasm font.

I got the sarcasm, and appreciated it.  I was just trying to add some of my own while I had a chance..   I mean, how many opportunities will I get to engage in Georgia State smack?

20 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

I got the sarcasm, and appreciated it.  I was just trying to add some of my own while I had a chance..   I mean, how many opportunities will I get to engage in Georgia State smack?

I caught the very end of it, and was hoping GSU would win just to see what the jumbled top 25 would be.  As much as I think top 25s are irrelevant this early in the season, given the nature of this season, it is somewhat amusing to see some of the teams ranked where they are.

46 minutes ago, Casimir said:

FSU head coach Mike Norvell tests positive for COVID.

I'd say "Get well soon," but there's no point, given that he says he feels fine.  Like so many other victims of this terrible plague.

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

I'd say "Get well soon," but there's no point, given that he says he feels fine.  Like so many other victims of this terrible plague.

About 200K are dead.  But, hey, kept your head up Trump's *** about it.

• Thanks 2

Our Overrated Lady vs Wake Forest has been postponed.

No. 7 Notre Dame's game at Wake Forest, scheduled for Saturday has been postponed due to COVID-19. A release from Notre Dame also said that the program will pause all football-related activities until further testing is completed. Ninety-four COVID-19 tests were administered to football players on Monday with seven positive tests, per the release. Over the past two weeks, 13 players have been put in isolation with 10 in quarantine while dealing with the coronavirus. 

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Based on the daily testing numbers for the university as a whole, it appears like all but 1 positive on Monday were football players.  Adding the 9 positive football players to the totals for the past week (they are done outside the other university tests and reported a bit later), there are approximately 30 total positives from since 9/16 with at least 13 being on the football team.  There were over 2700 total tests administrated during that timeframe.

On 9/23/2020 at 10:54 AM, 4hzglory said:

Based on the daily testing numbers for the university as a whole, it appears like all but 1 positive on Monday were football players.  Adding the 9 positive football players to the totals for the past week (they are done outside the other university tests and reported a bit later), there are approximately 30 total positives from since 9/16 with at least 13 being on the football team.  There were over 2700 total tests administrated during that timeframe.

Here's one of my peeves about this "season".  The B10 & P12 took all sorts of heat for postponing initially.  Granted, some of the criticism was under the cloak of "when" they announced rather than that they announced (horse bleep, it was all about the latter).  The assumption that the ACC, B12, and SEC going on was going to be mostly business as usual.  Meanwhile, we've seen postponements and cancellations on a limited schedule, and we're not even out of September.