cruzer1

RIP Al Kaline

17 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Thems was the good ol’ days.

As an aside, in the first game of that July 12, 1970 doubleheader, which was won by Mickey Lolich, the Tigers hit leadoff home runs in the first three innings -- Mickey Stanley. Bill  Freehan, and the late, great Al Kaline.  Terrific introduction to live Tiger baseball.

Also, Tom Timmermann got the save.  I met him about a dozen or maybe 15 years ago when his grandson and my kids played in the same Little League, and I ran into him a couple of times at a local bar and had a few beers with him.  

48 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

As an aside, in the first game of that July 12, 1970 doubleheader, which was won by Mickey Lolich, the Tigers hit leadoff home runs in the first three innings -- Mickey Stanley. Bill  Freehan, and the late, great Al Kaline. 

In 1968 the National League teams hit 89 HR on average for the season with the high being the Cubs at 130. The Al average was 110. 2nd best were the Orioles at 133. The Tigers hit 185. That is 40% more than the next best team in either league.

And just for the contrast, the 2019 Tigers hit 149 HR, while the Yankees hit 307. And for all the talk about the Yankee accomplishment, 4 teams hit more than 275.

Although there have been many good Tiger teams, I believe the 1968 bunch tops my list. What a collection of characters. There will never be another team like the ‘68 bunch, on or off the field.

The old TV show Home Run Derby is possibly even more boring than the All-Star Game derby, but the fact that it's Hank Aaron versus Al Kaline redeems this episode. It's from 1960. The venue is Wrigley Field ...in Los Angeles. The show ran for one season and 9 of the 19 participants went on to make the Hall of Fame. The host Mark Scott died of a heart attack a few months after this episode was taped.

I've watched many of those on youtube. Yeah, boring, but I only got to see most of those guys at the end of their careers. Worth it to me. And didn't know that about the host. Very sad

On 4/20/2020 at 6:40 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

In 1968 the National League teams hit 89 HR on average for the season with the high being the Cubs at 130. The Al average was 110. 2nd best were the Orioles at 133. The Tigers hit 185. That is 40% more than the next best team in either league.

And just for the contrast, the 2019 Tigers hit 149 HR, while the Yankees hit 307. And for all the talk about the Yankee accomplishment, 4 teams hit more than 275.

Five seasons ago, only one Major League team topped 200 home runs (211), and the next four teams were at just 186, 177, 163, and  157.  In 2019, 24 of the 30 teams cracked the 200 mark, and, as you said, four of those hit more than 275 (with two over 300).

As for the 68 Tigers, yes, they outdistanced everyone else by a mile in Home Runs, and beat everyone else except the Reds by quite a bit in Runs Scored. (The Tigers also hit eight home runs in the World Series.)

The 84 Tigers  led the Majors in both Home Runs and Runs Scored, and led the American League in ERA.  (They also had a better ERA than most of the National League teams, despite playing in a DH league and in Tiger Stadium.)

Those were indeed the days.   

4 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Five seasons ago, only one Major League team topped 200 home runs (211), and the next four teams were at just 186, 177, 163, and  157.  In 2019, 24 of the 30 teams cracked the 200 mark, and, as you said, four of those hit more than 275.

image.jpeg.dbdef158eeaacab6063894736951df1f.jpeg

A fan's home video from a Yankees @ Tigers game in 1956. In color. At the 3:02 mark Kaline homers and at the 6:00 mark Kaline hits a ground-rule double.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

A fan's home video from a Yankees @ Tigers game in 1956. In color. At the 3:02 mark Kaline homers and at the 6:00 mark Kaline hits a ground-rule double.

4 HR in a game in 1956? Doc  must have fired up the DeLorean and dropped off a case of 2019 baseballs at the old ballpark.

I've watched that video at least 100 times dating back a decade. I showed it to my father. Reminds me how much I miss the old stadium. Even with the smell of smoke and **** and obstructed view seats

1 hour ago, leflore said:

I've watched that video at least 100 times dating back a decade. I showed it to my father. Reminds me how much I miss the old stadium. Even with the smell of smoke and **** and obstructed view seats

I like the COPA well enough but it desperately needs more roof. The Sun is too brutal in most of the park for an afternoon game to be anything less than a risk of getting broiled. Hard to enjoy the game when you are being fried alive.  ?

On 5/10/2020 at 11:36 PM, leflore said:

I’ve not had any desire to this point to travel up to the new park. I loved Tiger Stadium. A lot of history went down when it did. 

Here's another oddball video involving Kaline. A Tigers vs Indians Old-Timers Game at Tiger Stadium in 1990. A mic'ed up Kaline declines a base on balls from Bob Feller before hitting into a force.  Mark Fidrych singles up the middle then comes around to score on a Mickey Stanley double.  Jim Northrup singles off of the right field wall.

And here's a tremendous George & Al broadcast moment.  There is no one single pre-1984 George & Al call that I remember more than this one from 1981. But I never thought I'd hear it again, today for the first time in almost 40 years.  Gibby with the 9th inning walkoff versus the Yankees around the 2:15 mark onwards. This was in mid-August shortly after the strike-shortened season resumed and it kicked off off a mini-pennant race that would see the Tigers chase the Brewers until the next to last day of the regular season

• Like 2

Scrum with Sparky and the Umps on the field:

Kell: "What we need is a mic down there"

Al: "Oh no we don't!"

On 5/19/2020 at 3:52 PM, lordstanley said:

And here's a tremendous George & Al broadcast moment.  There is no one single pre-1984 George & Al call that I remember more than this one from 1981. But I never thought I'd hear it again, today for the first time in almost 40 years.  Gibby with the 9th inning walkoff versus the Yankees around the 2:15 mark onwards. This was in mid-August shortly after the strike-shortened season resumed and it kicked off off a mini-pennant race that would see the Tigers chase the Brewers until the next to last day of the regular season

Al:  "Nice tie, George."

George:  "That's right, Al."

Kaline  scores the winning run in a spring training game from 1965 at Joker Marchant Stadium.

Gotta love these old videos. Thanks for posting.

On 6/4/2020 at 6:07 AM, 1776 said:

Gotta love these old videos. Thanks for posting.

On 6/3/2020 at 8:32 PM, leflore said:

Great footage!

The HistoricusJoe YouTube has some great stuff on it, like these 9 minutes of footage of the Tigers' 1934 pennant race.

Specific to Kaline, this video set to a Seger song has some tremendous still photographs. I especially like the ones at 1:36, 2:12, 3:58 and 4:17.

• Like 1