Jump to content

cruzer1

RIP Al Kaline

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, Oblong said:

One year the wings playoff slogan was Get Up. Ray Lane was hyping things up and said “let’s get it up”

It would be hard, but if they were prepared to go deep the bubbly would soon be flowing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Kaline6 said:

Mickey Mantle?

D'oh!

17 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

yeah - there's an oops.

In fairness to myself (1) I'm a dumbass and (2) I did state that I was probably missing a handful guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cmu97 said:

I think you have to take Cal Ripken Jr at shortstop over Larkin, and have Freehan as your backup catcher

Wow, I completely missed Ripken.

I didn't list Freehan because I was going with players in the hall of fame only.  I can understand and argument for both he and certainly Whitaker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

This telecast of game 7 is incredible.  Anyone else watching?

I found game 6 by accident scrolling through to see what was on.  I was texting my dad throughout the game.  We were completing each other's thoughts at times (he mentioned that Northrup was nicknamed Slammer in 68 and I was going to ask if that was the year he hit a bunch of grand slams and before I could he texted to me that Northrup had 5 grand slams in 68).  It was good.

I recorded game 7 and will watch that sometime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Casimir said:

I found game 6 by accident scrolling through to see what was on.  I was texting my dad throughout the game.  We were completing each other's thoughts at times (he mentioned that Northrup was nicknamed Slammer in 68 and I was going to ask if that was the year he hit a bunch of grand slams and before I could he texted to me that Northrup had 5 grand slams in 68).  It was good.

I recorded game 7 and will watch that sometime.

I was only 2 when this game happened, so only know from the history books.  

Some interesting observations from the game:

  • Had no idea that Roger Maris was on that Cardinal's team.  It was his last game, which the announcers (Curt Gowdy and Harry Caray) mentioned.  They also noted that this would be Eddie Matthews last game, as well.
  • Tony Kubek played the role of Johnny Kane, had a quick interview with "Mrs. Roger Maris" in the stands.  Similarly with "Mrs. Bob Gibson" and "Mrs. Red Schoendhiest," who also sang the National Anthem before the game.  Apparently, women in the 60's didn't have a first name.
  • I really enjoyed the simplicity of the graphics.  
  • Bob Gibson was nasty, though the Tigers probably benefited from having seen him two other times in the series, in order to scratch out some runs late in that game.
  • Mickey Lolich, who was traded before I became a fan, was fun to watch pitch--really looked effortless and unflappable.
  • Much has been said about Mickey Stanley moving to SS for the World Series, but he really looked good there.  Clearly he was athletic, and probably played it in high school and/or college.  A bold move that paid off, to make room for Kaline and Northrup in the OF, and both had a big series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew Maris was on the team only because I was at Tiger Stadium in 1993 when they had the 25th anniversary and they mentioned him along with others that were dead.  That surprised me.

 

At what point in our society did men stop wearing a coat and tie to events like baseball game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the more striking things to see looking at an old game is how compact we train pitchers to keep their deliveries today. It's really a huge change and you have to wonder about the assumption that it doesn't make any difference. Is it harder in general for a batter to pick up the ball coming out of all those flying toes and arms? More importantly, did all that extra motion tend more to hurt or protect a pitcher's arm? I'd be willing to bet it's had effect, we just don't know what it has been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was watching the 5th game of the ‘68 World Series a couple days ago the announcers kept remarking on how Briles was working slowly, but by today’s standards he was working fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Oblong said:

I knew Maris was on the team only because I was at Tiger Stadium in 1993 when they had the 25th anniversary and they mentioned him along with others that were dead.  That surprised me.

 

At what point in our society did men stop wearing a coat and tie to events like baseball game?

Probably 1968 was right when it was changing, complete by early 70s. Looks quite a bit different by 1972, once you get past the fans behind the plate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Avila also confirmed that the cause of Al Kaline's death was not COVID-19 related. His health had been failing for several months. Also, Avila said there have been no positive tests for the virus in the Tigers' organization.
1:03 PM · Apr 8, 2020·TweetDeck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

love those uniforms and carlton fisk's outfit.  tres 70s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

The 1974 All-Star Game

 

1974 mlb all star.jpg

Saw that on the Tweeter.  Look at how unathletic guys look compared to today’s players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

The 1974 All-Star Game

 

1974 mlb all star.jpg

Some 80-grade mustaches in there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2/3 of the players look like they'd be coaches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Buddha said:

love those uniforms and carlton fisk's outfit.  tres 70s.

White shoes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John Hiller's facial expression is like someone who's got weed on him and hoping the cops don't notice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All star games during the 70s were better than Christmas for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, leflore said:

All star games during the 70s were better than Christmas for me. 

I loved the allstar game back then because it was the only time you got to see many of the players in the other league.  They also took the game more seriously.  The game is pointless now.  And the home run derby sucks too.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I loved the allstar game back then because it was the only time you got to see many of the players in the other league.  They also took the game more seriously.  The game is pointless now.  And the home run derby sucks too.  

and I got a kick out of seeing my favorite players go against NL pitchers..... In the 80's the Tigers were well represented.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, lordstanley said:

The 1974 All-Star Game

 

1974 mlb all star.jpg

Because I'm bored and uncertain about a few of these guys:

Front Row (L to R): Bobby Murcer, Cookie Rojas, Bobby Grich, Royals coach (?), Earl Weaver, Dick Williams, Angels coach or player, Brooks Robinson, #6, Angels player (?), Carlton Fisk

Middle Row (L to R): Chubby Bobby Bonds, George Hendrick (?), Jeff Burroughs, Bert Campaneris, John Hiller, Reggie Jackson, Darrell Porter, Thurman Munson, Jim Harrah, Carl Yastremski, Don Money, John Mayberry (?)

Back Row (L to R): Rangers player (?), Luis Tiant, Joe Rudi, Catfish Hunter, Wilbur Wood (?), Rod Carew, Rollie Fingers, Mike Cuellar (?), Gaylord Perry, Royals Player 1 (?), Royals Player 2 (?)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I loved the allstar game back then because it was the only time you got to see many of the players in the other league.  They also took the game more seriously.  The game is pointless now.  And the home run derby sucks too.  

The home run derby is the most boring baseball event ever.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Because I'm bored and uncertain about a few of these guys:

Front Row (L to R): Bobby Murcer, Cookie Rojas, Bobby Grich, Royals coach (?), Earl Weaver, Dick Williams, Angels coach or player, Brooks Robinson, #6, Angels player (?), Carlton Fisk

Middle Row (L to R): Chubby Bobby Bonds, George Hendrick (?), Jeff Burroughs, Bert Campaneris, John Hiller, Reggie Jackson, Darrell Porter, Thurman Munson, Jim Harrah, Carl Yastremski, Don Money, John Mayberry (?)

Back Row (L to R): Rangers player (?), Luis Tiant, Joe Rudi, Catfish Hunter, Wilbur Wood (?), Rod Carew, Rollie Fingers, Mike Cuellar (?), Gaylord Perry, Royals Player 1 (?), Royals Player 2 (?)

 

Good job, a lot of players whose names were on the tip of my tongue but who I wouldn't have gotten without your work and without looking up the roster.

Based on the roster below and a Google image search of baseball cards, I'm guessing that the Angels player beside Carlton Fisk is Dave Chalk,  that you're right about George Hendrick and John Mayberry, that the Texas player beside Luis Tiant in the back row is Jim Sundberg, and that you're right about Wilbur Wood and Mike Cuellar (I never realized until now that Cuellar was Cuban). Pretty sure the Royals player beside Gaylord Perry is Steve Busby and the other guy in a KC uniform could be a coach.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/allstargame/history/results/_/year/1974

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

The home run derby is the most boring baseball event ever.  

By far.  I'd rather watch the Orioles take batting practice.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Motown Sports Blog



  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,815
    • Total Posts
      3,020,749
  • Who's Online (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...