cruzer1

RIP Al Kaline

First Mr Howe and now Mr Kaline. I knew this day would come, but it is still hitting me hard

• Like 1

For me, Al is a part of a solid block of memories from childhood where the Supremes, the Beatles, and soft summer nights all intermingle. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

20:20 of this clip is as good as it gets.

The only World Series game I’ve ever personally attended and damn it was great.

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

For me, Al is a part of a solid block of memories from childhood where the Supremes, the Beatles, and soft summer nights all intermingle. 

are you quoting a Richard Marx song or something? 

Al retired the year before I fell in love with the Tigers (1976).  I remember/know him more an announcer, but appreciate his loyalty and what he meant to the franchise. 

Trammell is to me, what Kaline is to many of you.  Both great players and class acts.

RIP Mr. Tiger

• Like 1

Don't forget the champale

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The first Tiger autograph I ever got.   

I think The Ronz got his best autograph. 

• Like 2

The only World Series game I’ve ever personally attended and damn it was great.

so someone refresh my memory. If George Kell worked with Curt Gowdy on the games in Det, did Gowdy work with the Cardinal PBP guy in StL? 

36 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

so someone refresh my memory. If George Kell worked with Curt Gowdy on the games in Det, did Gowdy work with the Cardinal PBP guy in StL? 

When I was scanning through YouTube video thumbs I did see a picture of Harry Carey who was the Cardinals announcer at the time with Kurt Gowdy so I presume Harry did. 

39 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

When I was scanning through YouTube video thumbs I did see a picture of Harry Carey who was the Cardinals announcer at the time with Kurt Gowdy so I presume Harry did. 

And as for radio, I believe it was national exclusive. Ernie Harrell did PBP for Game 7 but went down to the Tigers clubhouse before the 9th. So we have his call of Northrup’s tribute not the final out. 

Just watched a Fox sports video chat hosted by Keating with Gibson, Tram, Petry and Inge sharing Kaline memories. I always wondered about Lou and Tram being the final pair introduced at the Tiger Stadium closing ceremony, after Kaline. Trammell said he was uncomfortable with that, he thought Kaline should be last, but the Tigers wanted it that way and when Tram approached Kaline a few days before Kaline said it was fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I was waiting for that Biff.  :)

The Kaline card I posted - a 1964 Topps Giant - was autographed that very day by Al Kaline himself. That was in January, 1980 - over 40 years ago!

:alien:

• Like 1

I probably have 100 Kaline cards, all from his playing days, not the more recent insert stuff. He is the closest to what I would call a hero 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Only one ******* autograph though.  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Only one ******* autograph though.  

Something like that.  ?

:alien:

My dad and I went to a game in late September, 1954 in Cleveland Stadium.  We always went to Batting Practice and right away I noticed this young Tiger shagging flies and catching flies with the grace I’ve never seen before.  Of course it was Kaline.  My dad, who was recovering from lung cancer, told me I should be a scout when I grew up.  And, of course, Al hit .340 the following year.

One of my all-time favorites.  I read on another site that he was one of the very nicest guys in baseball.

This is a shock but God is with Al Kaline and his family.  God bless all of you.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Too soon for a Whitaker Trammell debate?  

Well, one is in the Hall of Fame, the other one isn't.  

5 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Kaline of course finished with 399 home runs, but I believe he actually hit 2 more that were erased due to rainouts?

Fun fact: Al Kaline would have been the first American League player to hit 400 HR and 3000 hits if he just hit one more home run.  Stan Musial was the first player to do it in 1958. Cal Yastrzemski did it in the AL in 1979.  However, Kaline retired in 1974.  Even if he would have played one more year to get that one home run, he would have done it before Yastrzemski.    

3 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Fun fact: Al Kaline would have been the first American League player to hit 400 HR and 3000 hits if he just hit one more home run.  Stan Musial was the first player to do it in 1958. Cal Yastrzemski did it in the AL in 1979.  However, Kaline retired in 1974.  Even if he would have played one more year to get that one home run, he would have done it before Yastrzemski.    

I read a piece today where Kaline said his biggest career regret was pulling himself out of his final game after 3 innings. 

I didn't realize this, but in 1974 his final year, he played exclusively as a DH.

11 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I didn't realize this, but in 1974 his final year, he played exclusively as a DH.

And in 1960, he played exclusively in centerfield.  

2 hours ago, Kaline6 said:

My dad and I went to a game in late September, 1954 in Cleveland Stadium.  We always went to Batting Practice and right away I noticed this young Tiger shagging flies and catching flies with the grace I’ve never seen before.  Of course it was Kaline.  My dad, who was recovering from lung cancer, told me I should be a scout when I grew up.  And, of course, Al hit .340 the following year.

One of my all-time favorites.  I read on another site that he was one of the very nicest guys in baseball.

This is a shock but God is with Al Kaline and his family.  God bless all of you.

When you see him in the outfield there’s just a natural fluidity to his movement, a spontaneous choreography that’s utterly immediate and unrehearsed. It’s like he had an inner tuning bar guiding him.