cruzer1

RIP Al Kaline

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2020/04/06/al-kaline-dies-detroit-tigers/505371001/?csp=chromepush

Al Kaline, who in a long and unique Detroit Tigers lifetime grew from youthful batting champion to Hall of Famer to distinguished elder statesman, died Monday afternoon at his home in Bloomfield Hills. He was 85.

A cause of death was not immediately available. John Morad, a close friend of the family, confirmed the news to the Free Press after speaking with Kaline's youngest son, Mike. 

In 22 seasons with the Tigers, most of them as a marvelous right fielder, Kaline played in more games and hit more homers than anyone else in club history, and he compiled a batting résumée second only to Ty Cobb’s. But while Cobb was widely reviled for his bitterness and meanness, Kaline was widely and eminently respected for his on-field elegance and off-field graciousness. Thus, Kaline has a strong claim as the most distinguished Tiger of them all.

• Sad 1

Al’s one of the reasons I had this strange dual fanship of Yankees / Tigers way back in the 60’s.

RIP, Al. ?

• Like 3

The only reason I have worn #6 on all my jerseys the past 50 years.  RIP Mr. Tiger.

• Like 2

Greatest living Tiger now?  Tram?  Too soon?

3 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Greatest living Tiger now?  Tram?  Too soon?

or cabrera or verlander.

RIP Al.  so consistent they named a battery after him...

• Like 1

"End of an Era" is a term thrown around pretty loosely anymore, but for Tiger fans in this case it applies.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Buddha said:

or cabrera or verlander.

RIP Al.  so consistent they named a battery after him...

Too soon for a Whitaker Trammell debate?  

Rest in Peace Mister Tiger. For those of us who saw you play at your prime, we will never gorget.

7 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

"End of an Era" is a term thrown around pretty loosely anymore, but for Tiger fans in this case it applies.

Yes, I caught the end of his career and unfortunately missed his prime, but he has been a Tiger my whole life.  I am definitely feeling an end of an era.  

• Like 1

Sad, very sad. I couldn’t believe it when I read it. 

Not sure why this has stuck in my head for so long, but in his autobiography Bill Lee talked about facing Kaline early in his career.  Lee thought he was getting squeezed ,by the ump, so he asked him where a pitch was.  Ump told him " Mr Kaline will let you know you've thrown a strike by lining it off the wall".  Now that's respect

• Like 3

I literally feel sick. Since I was 4 he has been my favorite athlete, and he will remain so until they day I die. RIP Mr Kaline

• Like 2

Kaline of course finished with 399 home runs, but I believe he actually hit 2 more that were erased due to rainouts?

Now he’s up there cussing out St Peter. RIP Al.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Kaline of course finished with 399 home runs, but I believe he actually hit 2 more that were erased due to rainouts?

True. He retired with 399 official HR and 498 doubles.