Sign in to follow this  
RedRamage

Tiger King - Netflix series

Anyone else watching this?  I know this is a hot show right now... as a long time Big Cat enthusiast I find this show very fascinating.   For the record, I come down very much of the side of Carole Baskin and BCR.  It's pretty easy to few Joe as a crackpot... which he is... but that shouldn't necessarily dismiss any points come from the other side. 

I'd be really interested to hear anyone else's opinion on the show and on the idea of private ownership of Big Cat and/or breeding them.  Now, there will be a slight political aspect to this discussion, but the political side is really just a question of *IF* the gov't should or shouldn't regulate/ban anything.  This should NOT devolve into a rants about any specific political person/party and if it does I will delete those posts.

Carole Baskin obviously killed her husband and fed him to the tigers

I watched it and it held my attention but in the end I really didn't like any of the people aside from a couple.   I don't like the fact of breeding them and them killing them after they reached a certain age but I don't know if there was any definitive proof of that.   

If they raise them and take care of them and give them the best life they can I'm totally against only for the reason that if people come to places like this and see the majestic beasts up close and learn about them it could potentially help the ones out in the wild.  But I totally understand if people don't buy that reasoning though.  

47 minutes ago, pfife said:

Carole Baskin obviously killed her husband and fed him to the tigers

I love how every other clip was Joe saying she fed him to the Tigers and then that he was under the septic system and then fed to the tigers.

46 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

If they raise them and take care of them and give them the best life they can I'm totally against only for the reason that if people come to places like this and see the majestic beasts up close and learn about them it could potentially help the ones out in the wild.  But I totally understand if people don't buy that reasoning though.  

I guess the question is if they are giving them the best life that they can.  Again, Joe Exotic is a terrible example, but I suspect that the vast majority of the so called "road side zoos" don't do that much better of a job of giving them the best live possible... or a good life within reason.

I mean we treat a lot of animals with less than 5-star treatment... cows, pigs, chickens, etc.  If we're willing to keep "food stock" animals against their will and breed them for the purposes of selling the animals for the farmer can make a profit, why would we be against someone breeding a tiger and selling the babies for a profit?  What's the difference?

I guess I wouldn't have a problem if a "zoo" was breeding for profit if:

1. They took reasonably good care of their animals
  2. They didn't sell "contact" experiences with the zoo (There's a study somewhere that this experiences tend to: a.) Increase the number of people who want to have exotic animals as pets and b.) Decreases the desire to donate to real conservation efforts)
  3. Made a reasonable effort to only sell to reputable buyers.

There's a BUNCH of grey area in there of course. 

I find the show interesting but I can’t binge watch it. After watching each episode I feel like I need to bathe. The people for the most part pretty creepy.

I started it last night. I hope to never have to interact with any of these folks or their ilk. 

I like that they waited until episode 4 to confirm what is obvious from the very start.

They are all on meth.

I thought about hiding this in a spoiler but its not really a mystery.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well, in a show famous for it's weirdness, let's make it weirder.

Justin Turner, yes that one, posted that there's a new episode coming out next week. 

What... the... ****...