chasfh

2020 “REGULAR SEASON" THREAD

Raise your hand if you saw Buck Farmer leading the team in strikeouts six games in.

Now lower your hand, because you're lying.

Can you just go ahead and sim 20 seasons out to settle once and for all whether they should draft Torkelson or Martin?  I'm toying with the idea myself, but I'm lazy.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Can you just go ahead and sim 20 seasons out to settle once and for all whether they should draft Torkelson or Martin?  I'm toying with the idea myself, but I'm lazy.

I'm going to let the game just handle the draft and see who they end up taking. Honestly, that's a future consideration and I'm interested in doing only this season.

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

Neither does Mize or Manning being up right now in normal times, since they are not even on the 40-man. I guess B-R figures, why not be a little fanciful for fun's sake? And if the idea is just do some fun things to serve an alternate reality that would never happen normally anyway, then the sky's the limit, so why the h*** not?

I'm playing it straight with mine: "would this happen if the season were going as normal?" That's why I don't have MIze or Manning up, at least not in early April.

It's a computer simulation.  When you put the numbers in the computer, Mize is better than some of the pitchers on the ML roster, so therefore the computer puts him on the ML roster.  Even though that wouldn't happen in real life.  

Martin doesn't make any sense because they should have factored in the Tigers' budget.  

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

This is a good idea to also see when the Tigers are expected to compete again.  What year are they supposed to have a winning record again?  2022? 2025?  2050? 

21 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

It's a computer simulation.  When you put the numbers in the computer, Mize is better than some of the pitchers on the ML roster, so therefore the computer puts him on the ML roster.  Even though that wouldn't happen in real life.  

That didn’t happen when I did a few dry runs of the season before committing to doing this run-through. Mike and Manning didn’t show up on the roster in any of those dry runs.

5 hours ago, Casimir said:

OK, so I did sim out ten seasons. They took Martin #1 in 2020.

Beyond that, I'll just say that, assuming OOTP is an oracle, if you can hold out until 2028, they'll give you reason to live. There will be a bit of tough sledding before that though.

Also, OOTP says, learn about this guy:

https://umterps.com/sports/baseball/roster/nick-dean/8513

We are the world.

Michael Jackson said so.

And I think Ernie said it to Bert. Maybe it was Kermit. 

9 hours ago, tiger337 said:

How are the Tigers 5-2?  Chas has it rigged.  

I don’t know if you read Baseball Prospectus, but they simmed the season 100,000 times, and in one of those sims, the Tigers—this Tigers—finished 93-69.

So ... there.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

They aren't as bad as you think.

I think team BABIP might be way over .400. In a strictly “it’s results that matter” world, that’s pretty good. I wouldn’t go to Vegas on them, though.

10 hours ago, tiger337 said:

th?id=OIP.mweiM0jDqS2m2MFjZgYoBwAAAA&pid

10 hours ago, tiger337 said:

He knows Tom Brady......

Are you guys unhappy with their start? Would you be more interested in following them if they were 0-7?

19 minutes ago, Casimir said:

th?id=OIP.mweiM0jDqS2m2MFjZgYoBwAAAA&pid

Justin Verlander called his old Tiger buddies and told them the Astros' secrets. 

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Are you guys unhappy with their start? Would you be more interested in following them if they were 0-7?

Nonsense.  This is the closest thing we have to complain about the real Tigers.  Thank you for filling the void for us.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I don’t know if you read Baseball Prospectus, but they simmed the season 100,000 times, and in one of those sims, the Tigers—this Tigers—finished 93-69.

So ... there.

If you simmed the MTS team 100,000 times...