20 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I like to think of it as best at their sport cause if we're just going by best pure athlete than I'm sure guys like Carl Lewis or other track and field guys like that are the best pure athletes.    Guys like that can jump higher, farther and run faster than just about any NBA player ever.    

Also as a former golf instructor and player at a relatively high level golf takes far more athleticism than you think to perform at a high level.   Not only the obvious hand eye coordination but the flexibility and strength to swing a club 120mph over and over again.   Go and hit a couple hundred balls a day swinging like that and tell me how you feel.   It takes more of a toll on your body than you think.    

I won't argue with any of that.

from THAT list the way it is set up?

ruth, phelps, jordan, and federer.

ruth probably is the most dominant of any player on that list.  

messi is dominant for barcelona but has never **** for argentina.  

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

from THAT list the way it is set up?

ruth, phelps, jordan, and federer.

ruth probably is the most dominant of any player on that list.  

messi is dominant for barcelona but has never **** for argentina.  

Can't comment on soccer but Ruth and Jordan weren't more dominant at their sports than Tiger was at golf.

You are all better than to bother spending more than a second debating this dumb *** topic.   

Background:  The constant use of GOAT is seriously becoming one of my bigger pet peeves these days.    It needs to be retired from modern vernacular. 

It would be nice if we smartened the place up a bit.  People should suggest meaningful topics that will foster great dialogue and debate. 

I will start.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Can't comment on soccer but Ruth and Jordan weren't more dominant at their sports than Tiger was at golf.

ruth was.

I'm confused why Phelps is on that list but Bolt isn't. If we're talking greatness relative to his peers, there is as wide a gap between Bolt and other sprinters in his era as there is between anybody else on that list and their peers. He won sprints not even going full speed the entire time. Ridiculous dominance.

20 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I'm confused why Phelps is on that list but Bolt isn't. If we're talking greatness relative to his peers, there is as wide a gap between Bolt and other sprinters in his era as there is between anybody else on that list and their peers. He won sprints not even going full speed the entire time. Ridiculous dominance.

because phelps is the most decorated olympian of all time and bolt isnt.

part of that is due to the nature of the swimming competition and how many more medals you can win with the different strokes you do.

13 minutes ago, Buddha said:

because phelps is the most decorated olympian of all time and bolt isnt.

part of that is due to the nature of the swimming competition and how many more medals you can win with the different strokes you do.

That's exactly it, there's a lot more opportunity for gold in swimming than sprinting. Bolt is more one dimensional but he was arguably as dominant in that dimension as anybody else in their sport. You knew the race was over before it began. Not saying he should be top 4 necessarily but not in the bracket at all seems far fetched to me.

On 7/17/2020 at 10:34 PM, Buddha said:

ruth was.

Disagree.  Ruth's best year in 1923 he was worth 15 WAR, the 2nd best was worth 10.  So he was a 1/3 better than the next best player.  Tiger WOods best year was 2000.   At that point that season alone he made more money than any golfer in history besides himself had made on the PGA tour.   His winning percentage was 4 times better than the next best, he won 3 times as many majors and his scoring average was a remarkable 2 shots better per round.  That may not sound like much but over the course of the tournament that equals 8 shots,  in the history of golf only Tiger Woods has won a major by more than 8 shots and for the entire season that is how much better he averaged than the next best player.   His dominance was unparalleled by any of the big 4 sport athletes in US history.  

Thibs trying to devise a way to get RJ 49 minutes a game.

3.5 years is my O/U prediction on how long he is there.  

I wonder what the advantage is in buying a team compared to just starting a new team.

I guess I don't understand how any of that G League stuff works.  Don't the Pistons use the Drive for that type of thing? What happens to them?  Do we now have 2 different G League teams that we can send players to?  I guess I just assumed that each pro team had an affiliated G Team that they were supposed to send their players to.

The Pistons are affiliated with Grand Rapids through the 2020-21 season.   But the Drive have a separate ownership group and Detroit will own the new team outright.  All our G-League players will be playing for the Drive next season, the new team after that.

The Drive said they plan to remain in the G-League.  It is possible they seek out another affiliate deal with another NBA team.  But most teams are doing what the Pistons did and buying/creating their own G-League team.

Grand Rapids can stay in the G-League without being affiliated with an NBA team.  The only players on the Drive that the Pistons have any say over are the two guys on two-way contracts.  Every other player on the Drive can be signed by any NBA team at any time.

• Thanks 1

mark cuban has some pretty legendary tales of debauchery from his younger days.  i doubt he's changed much.

STATEMENT ON SPORTS ILLUSTRATED ARTICLE FROM JULY 29, 2020

For over a month, the Mavericks organization has cooperated with Sports Illustrated on a story about an alleged sexual assault by a member of the Mavs’ staff.  The Mavs take all allegations of sexual assault extremely seriously and reminded SI of the ZERO-TOLERANCE policy put in place in March of 2018 that includes zero-tolerance of misconduct of any kind such as sexual assault, sexual harassment, bullying, false allegations, etc.

It is concerning that Sports Illustrated published this piece with several facts having been omitted, mischaracterized and reported inaccurately. SI knows that this case was brought to the Mavs with a request for money and merchandise, however the Mavs conducted a thorough investigation into all matters contained in the original email including allegations of sexual assault. The Mavs have always responded immediately every time the alleged victim has reached out during and after the formal investigation process. The Mavs have always been in pursuit of the truth.  The formal investigation is currently closed pending further credible evidence emerging and the zero-tolerance policy remains.