Tigrrfan

MLB .. to be suspended indefinitely due to Co-Vid19

6 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Play the regular season through October and have playoffs in southern cities in November.  

this is definitely the most practical Idea I have heard, but I question whether the owners would be on board for it. 

41 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

if normalcy commences by May 15th,  I will be ecstatic.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

We're probably looking at May 15th at the earliest.........That's 30-40 games into the season.   No way they get 162 in this year.     I really think they've probably already built or are building a 120 game schedule, a 100 game schedule and an 80 game schedule.   

You  have to keep in mind also that if we (as a society) don't deal with this correclty, we could have a second wave of this virus.   

I see it a bit differently.

When 'infected' numbers do go down ..and thinking no way the US Federal Government will allow this thing to get out of hand again .. neither will MI Gov Gretchen Whitmer.  To a lessor extent ..also think MLB will want to avoid the 'liability' that might result, especially within such a highly litigious society as the US is.

Thus, am thinking large crowds will not resume until a vaccine is discovered and everyone is immunized.   Figure at least October ..just prior to National elections!  What this means ..in my own opinion ..is that MLB is probably gone for all 2020.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You  have to keep in mind also that if we (as a society) don't deal with this correclty, we could have a second wave of this virus.   

I suspect that this should be a lesson learned from the Spanish flu.

39 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I would think that regardless of when leagues decide to *try* to play in public, the reality will be that the public will not show up as long as there is any kind of continuing death rate from the virus. It will depend on whether they can find enough Maroth's to make opening the doors profitable.

Mix all the teams into one league and create four geographical divisions. Start play May 15 in the spring training locations of Florida and Arizona to limit travel and play all games without fans. Then on July 22 return to playing in stadiums with fans. Travel is still minimized due to the geographic centered divisions. Playoffs are eight teams- the four leaders at the end of the Spring training site games and the four leaders at the end of the normal stadium locations. Best overall 2nd place finishers step in if some team (s) win both halves. Playoffs are seated by worst overall record verses best and so on. Three rounds of 7 game playoffs starting October 1. 

Rosters at 30 for the first half to shorten "training / warm up" period and normal 26 thereafter.

I don’t think there will be a baseball season this summer. I’ve pretty much resigned myself to it. I’d rather forego the season than see the powers that be make a circus out of it diving for dollars.

15 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I don’t think there will be a baseball season this summer. I’ve pretty much resigned myself to it. I’d rather forego the season than see the powers that be make a circus out of it diving for dollars.

But then again, half a baseball season seems more exciting to me................

5 hours ago, Casimir said:

That's racist.  

8 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

That's racist.  

I should have used 1918 flu pandemic.  I apologize.

19 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

I see it a bit differently.

When 'infected' numbers do go down ..and thinking no way the US Federal Government will allow this thing to get out of hand again .. neither will MI Gov Gretchen Whitmer.  To a lessor extent ..also think MLB will want to avoid the 'liability' that might result, especially within such a highly litigious society as the US is.

Thus, am thinking large crowds will not resume until a vaccine is discovered and everyone is immunized.   Figure at least October ..just prior to National elections!  What this means ..in my own opinion ..is that MLB is probably gone for all 2020.

I believe you are giving the government more power then they are capable of. If stupid people do stupid things, this catastrophe is far from over. New York is the finest example and Cuomo couldn't or wouldn't do anything about it. 

I will agree, unless people get smart and obey the rules, this season is pretty much history.

13 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

That's racist.  

It's all about intent.  

4 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It's all about intent.  

Also, who's saying it and whether or not they have a history of being an orange, racist *******. 

Just now, Yoda said:

Also, who's saying it and whether or not they have a history of being an orange, racist *******. 

I was trying to be vague to keep politics out of it.  That is all I will say here.  

I've already seen a twee, by a blue checkmark but I don't follow the NFL so I have no idea on his reliability, that the NFL is already thinking training camps will be delayed and they may not play a full season.

1 hour ago, iholly said:

I believe you are giving the government more power then they are capable of. If stupid people do stupid things, this catastrophe is far from over. New York is the finest example and Cuomo couldn't or wouldn't do anything about it. 

I will agree, unless people get smart and obey the rules, this season is pretty much history.

Actually, the government has almost unlimited power to control a significant majority of the US population.  

I suspect this current 'pandemic' will eventually pan out to be no more deadly overall than some other strains of virus' that have already occurred during the current 21st century.

We all have access to the current available data .. at this moment nearly 60,000 confirmed cases in the USA with about 825 deaths thus far.  What we do not know is how many actually have or had much milder symptoms that have not been tested and may never be tested.

Little doubt there will eventually be a cure and/or a vaccine.  Just a matter of 'when'.  

I remember getting vaccine shots way back in grade school ..when some of our 'Up North' Michigan schools had more than one class in a classroom.  IIRC, ..measles and polio shots.  Have not looked it up ..but those may have been more contagious and more deadly than CoVid-19.

16 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Actually, the government has almost unlimited power to control a significant majority of the US population.  

I suspect this current 'pandemic' will eventually pan out to be no more deadly overall than some other strains of virus' that have already occurred during the current 21st century.

We all have access to the current available data .. at this moment nearly 60,000 confirmed cases in the USA with about 825 deaths thus far.  What we do not know is how many actually have or had much milder symptoms that have not been tested and may never be tested.

Little doubt there will eventually be a cure and/or a vaccine.  Just a matter of 'when'.  

I remember getting vaccine shots way back in grade school ..when some of our 'Up North' Michigan schools had more than one class in a classroom.  IIRC, ..measles and polio shots.  Have not looked it up ..but those may have been more contagious and more deadly than CoVid-19.

FYI

In children, paralysis due to polio occurs in one in 1000 cases, while in adults, paralysis occurs in one in 75 cases.[21] By 1950, the peak age incidence of paralytic poliomyelitis in the United States had shifted from infants to children aged 5 to 9 years; about one-third of the cases were reported in persons over 15 years of age.[22] Accordingly, the rate of paralysis and death due to polio infection also increased during this time.[1] In the United States, the 1952 polio epidemic was the worst outbreak in the nation's history, and is credited with heightening parents’ fears of the disease and focusing public awareness on the need for a vaccine.[23] Of the 57,628 cases reported that year 3,145 died and 21,269 were left with mild to disabling paralysis

Population in 1950 was half of today's so we are yet at equivalent numbers, but probably will reach them. Of course Polio struck children preferentially which made it a far more urgent problem to people. 

In light of the “shelter in place” directives issued across the states and local governments, I decided I would pick up my book reading that I had more or less abandoned since this outbreak became such a distraction. 

Read Bill Freehan’s, Behind the Mask yesterday. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Before, during and after, I consider him the best catcher in Tiger’s history. 

18 minutes ago, 1776 said:

In light of the “shelter in place” directives issued across the states and local governments, I decided I would pick up my book reading that I had more or less abandoned since this outbreak became such a distraction. 

Read Bill Freehan’s, Behind the Mask yesterday. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Before, during and after, I consider him the best catcher in Tiger’s history. 

I think we had this discussion here already but wasn't that a little bit in the "Ball Four" category at the time.... meaning he said some things that others didn't like?

I have a hard time seeing them play that many games even if they play into October but we will see. 

30 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I have a hard time seeing them play that many games even if they play into October but we will see. 

yeah.  good luck playing that many games.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

encouraging about the draft.  picking at the top of 10 rounds should be sufficient to stock the shelves.  I'm assuming all other players would be free agents?

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

I think we had this discussion here already but wasn't that a little bit in the "Ball Four" category at the time.... meaning he said some things that others didn't like?

Thanks for asking and, at the same time, reminding me that there was some mention about Ball Four involved from the previous conversation about the book. I never have read Ball Four but there was only one instance in Freehan’s book where I thought something possibly crossed a line. And that would only be in light of today’s hypersensitive perspectives. I don’t think this would live up to a tell-all book. Lots of good stuff though. Gives you an inside look at the 1969 team and the different personalities. 

4 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Thanks for asking and, at the same time, reminding me that there was some mention about Ball Four involved from the previous conversation about the book. I never have read Ball Four but there was only one instance in Freehan’s book where I thought something possibly crossed a line. And that would only be in light of today’s hypersensitive perspectives. I don’t think this would live up to a tell-all book. Lots of good stuff though. Gives you an inside look at the 1969 team and the different personalities. 

You have to read Ball Four.  Any and every baseball fan should.  You won't be disappointed.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

lets say they expand pitching rosters and play 2DH a week and one day off. That is a max of 8 games/week. It would take 18 weeks (126 days) to play a 144 game sched. If the reg season ended at the end of Oct they would have to start before Jul 3.