Tigrrfan

MLB .. to be suspended indefinitely due to Co-Vid19

Just thinking if hypothetically they canceled the season I wonder if the Tigers would get the first pick in the 2021 draft?  That would be sweet! 

If they have a draft this year then I suspect next year they’d do a lottery of some sort.  Maybe teams 1-4 this year are randomly picked for 1-4 next year.  Then group another set in a similar manner.  Giving teams back to back 1 wouldn’t be fair.  

8 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Americans are impatient people.  

tldr

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

90 game season.    No interleague games.   you play each team in your league 6 times.   No divisions........League standings.    That way everyone plays the same schedule - its fair.   The Top four teams make the playoffs  4 vs. 1 and 2 vs. 3.   

How are you going to do no interleague with 15 teams per league?  Unless you do staggered series so that at least 1 team per league is off each day.  But then you can't fit as many games into a short season as possible.

It's going to be an unbalanced schedule, there's no getting around it.  And that will probably mean expanded playoffs.

46 minutes ago, clark1mt said:

How are you going to do no interleague with 15 teams per league?  Unless you do staggered series so that at least 1 team per league is off each day.  But then you can't fit as many games into a short season as possible.

It's going to be an unbalanced schedule, there's no getting around it.  And that will probably mean expanded playoffs.

I don't think its a big deal if one team has a series off at a time.  This season is already goofed up anyway.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I don't think its a big deal if one team has a series off at a time.  This season is already goofed up anyway.

Yeah,   I think the geniuses that set the schedule could figure out how to stagger it a bit.   There would be no All Star Game this year, so teams might welcome having a few days off at some point.    The Tigers, Mariners or Orioles would be the team to end early because they probably won't be in contention.

I think in the future the All Star Game should be on the 4th of July.   Because "Merica, that's why.     The TV ratings have cratered anyway.  

16 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

90 game season.    No interleague games.   you play each team in your league 6 times.   No divisions........League standings.    That way everyone plays the same schedule - its fair.   The Top four teams make the playoffs  4 vs. 1 and 2 vs. 3.   

I don’t think ensuring a “fair” schedule is going to be high on the list of priorities. It doesn’t actually matter all that much who you play, anyway. Just start playing the scheduled games whenever it’s safe to do so. Without a clear start date trying to create a brand new schedule seems Like far more trouble than it is worth. 

yeah once they decide to play there wil l be a lot of factors at play.... X number of games, etc.  I wouldn' be surprised if all the teams don't even play the same # of games.  

They could just do way with divisions altogether this season.  The NFL did this for the strike in 1981 or 1982 (I forget which season it was) and took the top 8 teams in each conference to the playoff bracket.  MLB could just do the same this season if need be.

yep. Play until the first week of October, then let in the top teams from each league, without regard to division.  Lee's dream come true.

47 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don’t think ensuring a “fair” schedule is going to be high on the list of priorities. It doesn’t actually matter all that much who you play, anyway. Just start playing the scheduled games whenever it’s safe to do so. Without a clear start date trying to create a brand new schedule seems Like far more trouble than it is worth. 

I would imagine they have set several return dates.............and have schedules already designed with that in mind (or they are working on it now). 

......if we start on Memorial Day..............

.........if we start on June 15

.........if we start on July 4

All those scenarios are being considered.  They'll probably have a 10-day "Spring Training" in the teams hometowns and exhibition games against each other (stats don't count anyway).     They'll probably have expanded rosters for a week or two to help the pitchers a little bit.  

When is the cut off date?   What is the shortest season they could have?     60 games?   48 games?    

34 minutes ago, Casimir said:

They could just do way with divisions altogether this season.  The NFL did this for the strike in 1981 or 1982 (I forget which season it was) and took the top 8 teams in each conference to the playoff bracket.  MLB could just do the same this season if need be.

I think that’s probably the best solution. And due to the short season, I think there is a good argument to be made for expanding the playoffs to eight teams per league.

A screwed up schedule helped the Tigers get into the playoffs in 1972.,  

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I think that’s probably the best solution. And due to the short season, I think there is a good argument to be made for expanding the playoffs to eight teams per league.

You know I think expanding the playoffs is always a terrible idea...but why do you think a short season makes for a better argument?  

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

You know I think expanding the playoffs is always a terrible idea...but why do you think a short season makes for a better argument?  

Too much variance in a short season resulting in a championship caliber team being left out.

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Too much variance in a short season resulting in a championship caliber team being left out.

I agree.  I don't like expanding playoffs in a normal season, but I think it could be justified under these circumstances.

Now, watch, it will happen and we'll get stuck with a 43-47 defeating a 60-30 in the World Series.

If it gets really bad would they just do some kind of 30 team tournament?    Last year's pennant winners get a first round bye and it starts with...........

First Round Best of 3

Sweet Sixteen Best of 5

Elite Eight Best of 5

Final Four Best of 7

World Series Best of 7

Just spitballin' ideas.  

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think in the future the All Star Game should be on the 4th of July.   Because "Merica, that's why.     The TV ratings have cratered anyway.  

Might work. 

Folks from all over the country who desire to attend could plan their vacations around it .. and the All-Star host city could do their fireworks immediately following the game.

Use expanded rosters for more pitching and add doubleheader’s to get all 162 games in. 

Boy, wouldn’t that make things interesting?

1 hour ago, roarintiger1 said:

Use expanded rosters for more pitching and add doubleheader’s to get all 162 games in. 

Boy, wouldn’t that make things interesting?

We're probably looking at May 15th at the earliest.........That's 30-40 games into the season.   No way they get 162 in this year.     I really think they've probably already built or are building a 120 game schedule, a 100 game schedule and an 80 game schedule.   

You  have to keep in mind also that if we (as a society) don't deal with this correclty, we could have a second wave of this virus.   

Shorten the playoffs this year.  Have only two divisions.  Do a LCS and then a World Series.  No Wild Cards.  

26 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

We're probably looking at May 15th at the earliest.........That's 30-40 games into the season.   No way they get 162 in this year.     I really think they've probably already built or are building a 120 game schedule, a 100 game schedule and an 80 game schedule.   

You  have to keep in mind also that if we (as a society) don't deal with this correclty, we could have a second wave of this virus.   

if normalcy commences by May 15th,  I will be ecstatic.

the one thing theyre NOT going to do is shorten the playoffs.  thats their money maker.  they probably wont expand the rosters much either because then they might have to pay more players more money.

the owners are all losing a **** ton of dough, theyre not going to lose more just for the sake of "integrity" of the process.  whatever can make them the most money, thats what they'll do.

i doubt they make a lot of money on doubleheaders, so there probably wont be a ton of those.  same with day games.

union rules will likely prohibit it anyway.  players have time off built into the cba, right?  i would think so.

Play the regular season through October and have playoffs in southern cities in November.  

43 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

if normalcy commences by May 15th,  I will be ecstatic.

that has to be the best case scenario.  like a 10% chance of happening.

most likely, i would think, is the end of june or early july.  but even that is optimistic.

the news from italy seems to indicate it a six week cycle from quarantine until it starts to ebb.  something like that.  so new york city has another month to go, and thats assuming nothing crazy happens in the interim.  that puts us into may already.  

and thats new york, which is taking steps other places arent taking (but likely has more issues because of its denser population).

but mlb isnt going to start if there are still areas of the country in shutdown mode.