Tigrrfan

MLB .. to be suspended indefinitely due to Co-Vid19

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I saw the pretty heated exchange between him and Law about calling it the "chinavirus".  For being a smart guy Bill definitely looked real stupid in that argument.  

The interesting thing is that the majority of his followers agreed with him.  That is probably because his followers probably tend to be older.  I thought he was wrong and commented on it.  I do like his tweets in general though. He is smart, but also a little socially awkward which makes him seem more real.  

I read all his stuff in the 80s and 90s and loved it.  The modern sabers are more thorough and mathematically skilled than James but I don't think any of them are as much fun to read.  Many have tried to match his writing style, but nobody has been able to pull it off.  It's been funny seeing him pop up on the internet and interact with fans after so many years.     

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I saw the pretty heated exchange between him and Law about calling it the "chinavirus".  For being a smart guy Bill definitely looked real stupid in that argument.  

Bill is pretty stubborn and DGAS how the optics look when he goes tilting at windmills.

Kinda reminds my how Posnanski was defending Joe Paterno early on when it was pretty clear Joe looked the other way at Penn St.   It was weird, for a smart guy, he just didn't want to accept the obvious and dug in instead.

Fox Sports Detroit is going to show games from last season (I think on the dates they were played).   Why play a 114 loss team instead of a good team reruns?      

Probably because they'd have to pay Rod & Mario something, and they don't want to do that.   

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Probably because they'd have to pay Rod & Mario something, and they don't want to do that.   

even if they didn't have to pay them, I'll bet it factored in.  What would have been cool is to find the most compelling game played on that particular date over the last 15 seasons (to include 2006), and show that one.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

why would an announcer have a piece of the action on the game?

might not even be a factor, but showing old games serves as a reminder that the current broadcast crew is significantly inferior.

On 3/21/2020 at 3:36 PM, tiger337 said:

Bill James predicted the season will start on May 15...but he has been doing a lot of contrarian lack of concern trolling lately.  

I've gotten a kick out of it, because I like to tweak the twitter bubble as well.

On 3/21/2020 at 8:40 PM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Bill is pretty stubborn and DGAS how the optics look when he goes tilting at windmills.

Kinda reminds my how Posnanski was defending Joe Paterno early on when it was pretty clear Joe looked the other way at Penn St.   It was weird, for a smart guy, he just didn't want to accept the obvious and dug in instead.

Bill James defended Paterno too, IIRC.

22 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Bill James defended Paterno too, IIRC.

He did and it got him in trouble with the Red Sox. 

Now that the July Olympics has been cancelled, does anyone really think there will be a baseball season?

Image result for debbie downer gif

I do't know if there will or will not be a season, but the olympics is more international than baseball which creates a different set of problems.  I think there can still be a season.   

I don't think so..... I'm not saying this is going to be so bad for so long but I'm not sure we'll be in a position to have large crowds yet by the summer.   I just don't see it happening.... And will they want to do a season that starts well into June or July....?  

i imagine that the minute things start to slow down people will jump the gun and start to schedule things.

I think if they can get the testing kits that give quick results they could potentially play without fans by just testing guys every day.  

Of course this would require a bunch of a kits.   Between coaches, players, umps, trainers and announcers(if they have them) you're probably talking close to a 100 per game between both teams.   If they play 15 games a day that would be 1500 a day.   I'd rather be using those tests elsewhere but hypothetically if they indeed get a mass amount of them in the US and could afford to spare that many for baseball it could potentially work. 

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I don't think so..... I'm not saying this is going to be so bad for so long but I'm not sure we'll be in a position to have large crowds yet by the summer.   I just don't see it happening.... And will they want to do a season that starts well into June or July....?  

I think they will take pretty much any season they can get. And I also wouldn’t be surprised to see an expanded playoff field, with like 7-8 teams per league qualifying. 

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I think once they get the quick testing kits available and treatments become available, things are going to turn around quickly.  Once there is a solid verifiable treatment, getting COVID-19 won't be as significant of an issue as  it is now.  Also, if it does follow the other strands of corona virus, it's viability will be significantly weakened by the humidity and increased temperatures. 

So Yes, I do think there will be a season.   

8 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I think they will take pretty much any season they can get. And I also wouldn’t be surprised to see an expanded playoff field, with like 7-8 teams per league qualifying. 

Yeah, I think they would look it as similar to if the season started with a strike/lockout and take whatever they could get rather than losing and entire season.

They are starting to play in South Korea, so there is hope. It all depends on how well we all test, isolate and socially distance.

look on the bright side, the "dog days of august" this year might have the nba playoffs, nhl playoffs, and major league baseball involved in a 50 game sprint to the playoffs!

as 5 creative blokes from england once said, "always look on the bright side of life..."

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I do't know if there will or will not be a season, but the olympics is more international than baseball which creates a different set of problems.  I think there can still be a season.   

Yeah, takes wayyyy more planning for the olympics. 

4 hours ago, Buddha said:

i imagine that the minute things start to slow down people will jump the gun and start to schedule things.

Americans are impatient people.  

90 game season.    No interleague games.   you play each team in your league 6 times.   No divisions........League standings.    That way everyone plays the same schedule - its fair.   The Top four teams make the playoffs  4 vs. 1 and 2 vs. 3.   

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

look on the bright side, the "dog days of august" this year might have the nba playoffs, nhl playoffs, and major league baseball involved in a 50 game sprint to the playoffs!

as 5 creative blokes from england once said, "always look on the bright side of life..."

I thought Jack Nicholson said that. Or sang that. Or maybe it was Albert Finney. Dick VanDyke?

2 hours ago, Yoda said:

Yeah, takes wayyyy more planning for the olympics. 

Right, planning and training.  The restrictions on training are likely a main driver in the Olympics' decision.   MLB should be able to get up and running pretty quickly once given the go-ahead.  They'll need to squeeze some revenue out of 2020, even in a short and unorthodox format.

13 minutes ago, leflore said:

I thought Jack Nicholson said that. Or sang that. Or maybe it was Albert Finney. Dick VanDyke?

ok boomer...  :)