Tigrrfan

MLB .. to be suspended indefinitely due to Co-Vid19

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

DirectTV told me I would not be charged while they are not playing games.  I cancelled it anyway, because I have a feeling they'll automatically charge me and I will have to call again and be put on hold for an hour.  

you are most certainly right.

i remember directv charging me for the nfl package.  when i called them and told them i never ordered it, they apologized and gave me like $10 off my next bill.

totally shady.

13 hours ago, Buddha said:

you are most certainly right.

i remember directv charging me for the nfl package.  when i called them and told them i never ordered it, they apologized and gave me like $10 off my next bill.

totally shady.

DirectTV is now a subsidiary of ATT .. and has been for the past couple years.  In my humble opinion .. they flat out do not care about their individual customers.  I had DirectTV since 1997 thru early 2019 ..and finally dumped them (completely cut-the-cord) when they would not offer me my usual resignup discount that they had been doing for years.

Now we stream everything we need for our television pleasure .. and even with monthly subscriptions to several streaming services .. still save nearly $75 per month by cancelling DirectTV.

It is beyond my ability to comprehend why anyone continues to subscribe (renew) regular DirectTV, .. or DISH, especially considering that they typically require a minimum 2-year commitment.  .. .. .. .. .. All one needs to ask themselves is why their Television subscription services (DISH?) needs to lock-them-in instead of just allowing them to cancel anytime without penalty if they determine the service is not worth the price they pay?

Perhaps it is convoluted thinking by some.  (Not all, but 'some' ..for sure.)

On the day spring training was canceled I was billed $19.99 for MLB radio. I have my doubts I’ll ever get a credit for the time where it’s useless. And I find it tedious going through the hundred emails I receive each day to see if they’ve sent me any notifications.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

MLB Network is digging into the archives.  They showed this epic battle last night.

image.png.3d13f4357abdca36240f0f687b5f7cc9.png

I watched some of that.  Pete Rose was on the Phillies.  Think I saw Guillermo on the mound.

4 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

On the day spring training was canceled I was billed $19.99 for MLB radio. I have my doubts I’ll ever get a credit for the time where it’s useless. And I find it tedious going through the hundred emails I receive each day to see if they’ve sent me any notifications.

I just commented to my wife that it ain’t worth the hassle. If I get a few games this out of it this year, fine. 

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I watched some of that.  Pete Rose was on the Phillies.  Think I saw Guillermo on the mound.

That guy looked an awful lot like Willie.

Sorry, late notice, but I just saw where MLBN is broadcasting the Bird vs Yankees Monday night game from 1976.  The next showing is tonight at 10pm EDT.

52 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Sorry, late notice, but I just saw where MLBN is broadcasting the Bird vs Yankees Monday night game from 1976.  The next showing is tonight at 10pm EDT.

My father just sent me a text letting me know. Unfortunately I have mlb.tv

I was 10 in '76. It was the most magical year of my life, with '84 a close second. I was drinking pretty heavy by '84

5 hours ago, 1776 said:

I just commented to my wife that it ain’t worth the hassle. If I get a few games this out of it this year, fine. 

I know it’s just two or three bucks although they may never play another game this year you don’t know. I guess just in principle my assumption is they don’t care. 

2 hours ago, leflore said:

My father just sent me a text letting me know. Unfortunately I have mlb.tv

I was 10 in '76. It was the most magical year of my life, with '84 a close second. I was drinking pretty heavy by '84

I remember this game, too. I also was 10 that year.

Re-watching it right now, it's amazing how un-athletic the players look relative to today's.

I have the NYY game on dvd. Might have to pull that out th his weekend. Also have the '76 all-star game. And the '71 game for that matter. Several Tigers in both.

I was too young to catch the Bird fever.

They included the post game on field interview with Bob Uecker.  It was a treat to see that.  He went back out there after grabbing a jacket but he wasn't wearing any shoes and the camera caught it.  Seeing his honest to goodness just happy to be here and I wouldn't be here without my teammates and coaches and...  He just came across as just genuinely in an out of body experience and he couldn't believe how lucky he was to be there.  Just fun to see that.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I was newly enlisted into the military in May ..and missed all of the Mark Fidrych excitement during my 'training' the entire spring and summer of 1976.  Am still very disappointed to have missed that while it was happening live.  But .. my only daughter was born early 1976 ..and those memories are undoubtedly even more priceless!

6 hours ago, Casimir said:

I wasn't even born yet!

8 hours ago, Casimir said:

They included the post game on field interview with Bob Uecker.  It was a treat to see that.  He went back out there after grabbing a jacket but he wasn't wearing any shoes and the camera caught it.  Seeing his honest to goodness just happy to be here and I wouldn't be here without my teammates and coaches and...  He just came across as just genuinely in an out of body experience and he couldn't believe how lucky he was to be there.  Just fun to see that.

i was also too young.  but i remember that sports illustrated cover with him and big bird on it in my dad's old SI collection.

looking back on it, if you werent there you probably cant imagine why everyone got so excited about a fifth place team.

17 hours ago, Casimir said:

My wife and I had just arrived in Winnipeg, I had landed a job there with the Hudson's Bay Company, and we were living in a motel at the south end of Winnipeg on the Pembina Highway.  Next stop, North Dakota.  We watched that game and it was so awesome, and it was far enough into a season where LeFlore and Staub were performing at such an extremely high level that there was enormous excitement about the game.  When he came out for the curtain call, I was 24 years old and married and a grown-up I guess, but the hair on the back of my neck stood up and my eyes welled up.  That is what you call "a moment", and when it occurs you just know right away that it can not ever be replicated.  

I've only been a Tigers fan since 1962, so that's only 58 years.  Small sample size.  But honestly that is my "moment", Fidrych's curtain call.  Gibby/Gossage is close...but my moment, during the last 58 years, is Fidrych's curtain call after the Yankees game.  I could watch that every day for the rest of my life.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Buddha said:

i was also too young.  but i remember that sports illustrated cover with him and big bird on it in my dad's old SI collection.

looking back on it, if you werent there you probably cant imagine why everyone got so excited about a fifth place team.

True.  We can conceptualize it and know that he had significant impact (home attendance, requests from the opposition to pitch him when the Tigers visited, the SI cover, the cult following to this day), but to have actually been there and experienced it as it was happening had to have been such a blast.

12 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

My wife and I had just arrived in Winnipeg, I had landed a job there with the Hudson's Bay Company, and we were living in a motel at the south end of Winnipeg on the Pembina Highway.  Next stop, North Dakota.  We watched that game and it was so awesome, and it was far enough into a season where LeFlore and Staub were performing at such an extremely high level that there was enormous excitement about the game.  When he came out for the curtain call, I was 24 years old and married and a grown-up I guess, but the hair on the back of my neck stood up and my eyes welled up.  That is what you call "a moment", and when it occurs you just know right away that it can not ever be replicated.  

I've only been a Tigers fan since 1962, so that's only 58 years.  Small sample size.  But honestly that is my "moment", Fidrych's curtain call.  Gibby/Gossage is close...but my moment, during the last 58 years, is Fidrych's curtain call after the Yankees game.  I could watch that every day for the rest of my life.

I think my moment has to be being at the Kenny Rogers game.  Do we even need to add "2006 playoffs vs Yankees" to that, or is it official that can we just call it the Kenny Rogers game?

Dickerson's radio call of Magglio Ordonez' home run to propel the Tigers to the World Series still gives me chills.  22 seasons of anguish wiped away with that swing.

Bill James predicted the season will start on May 15...but he has been doing a lot of contrarian lack of concern trolling lately.  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Bill James predicted the season will start on May 15...but he has been doing a lot of contrarian lack of concern trolling lately.  

It just seems like there are too many unknowns at this point to guess on an opening day.  I think there's probably a reasonable school of thought to say, well, if the all clear is given around a certain date, players would need a certain amount of time to reprepare for an opening day.

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

only if theyre playing in front of no fans.

may 31 is more likely, imo.

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I saw the pretty heated exchange between him and Law about calling it the "chinavirus".  For being a smart guy Bill definitely looked real stupid in that argument.  

• Like 1

I can’t imagine MLB before June, at best. As Casimer said, we don’t even know what we don’t know yet, if that makes any sense. I would not be at all surprised if this season doesn’t happen. The next several days are extremely critical as to what degree this virus disrupts this country in a huge way. There have been better times. 

• Like 1