Tigrrfan

MLB .. to be suspended indefinitely due to Co-Vid19

16 hours ago, 1776 said:

I am thinking it will be much further out than originally thought to be. Maybe start first week in June with no AS game this year. Abbreviated regular season schedule with modified playoff schedules. At least, that was my guess earlier today.

Maybe the season starts with the games in London? If so, I'll be there.

• Haha 1

MLB announces that it will follow the CDC's suggestion of no gatherings of 50 or more people for 8 weeks so the season isn't going to start till atleast late May.  

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

MLB announces that it will follow the CDC's suggestion of no gatherings of 50 or more people for 8 weeks so the season isn't going to start till atleast late May.  

How? Have all the games in Tampa?

• Haha 1

Ken Burns’ documentary about baseball is free to view on the MLB website along with other stuff that is worthwhile.

If they started in June, for me as a fan who goes a lot it really wouldn't make much of a difference.  I go on opening day and a few in April/May but with the weather it's almost like throwaway games.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Ken Burns’ documentary about baseball is free to view on the MLB website along with other stuff that is worthwhile.

I've watched it all at least 20 times, but the Boston, NYY then everyone else thing gets old

I saw on twitter that there are plans to potentially play the regular season through October and then play the post-season in southern cities.  The original source  seems to be Nightengale though so...

10 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I saw on twitter that there are plans to potentially play the regular season through October and then play the post-season in southern cities.  The original source  seems to be Nightengale though so...

I wouldn't mind the playoffs on neutral sites once - especially since it will be no loss to us Detroit fans.

17 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I can see a hodge podge of possible adjustments if/once a timeline is determined. 

Another round of spring training but maybe not with official games.  Organizations will report to spring training facilities and train as an organization, but games would likely be in house.

Roster adjustments early on to allow for an extra pitcher or two, maybe another catcher and another position player.  Once the go ahead is given, the league is going to want to get games going as early as possible.  But its going to be tough to have enough pitching arms ready to go.  (Maybe the new 3 batter minimum rule is wiped away for this season?)

A revamped schedule?  Not necessarily home & away against teams in the league but outside of the division?  No divisions for this season?  Limited interleague?  Saturday doubleheaders, maybe even using the minor league 7 inning rule to cram games in?

I think they start the season just before Memorial Day or maybe even the weekend of.   112 game season.  

I think they'll have a  mini Spring Training at MLB Cities From May 15 -about May 22 and teams will play some regional games.  Tigers vs. Cubs, Indians, Reds, Blue Jays for the Spring Training Games.    Maybe even Spring Training games against one team for a week like Tigers vs. Reds.   

Rosters will be 28 players for 2 weeks,  Down to 26 by June 15th.    

The league won't add a bunch of double headers.  They'll just pick up the schedule right there and it means things might be a little uneven, as far as schedule balance -  but so be it.    The trickiest part is making sure everybody plays the same number of games, but they can figure that out - they've got smart people.   

21 hours ago, chasfh said:

Maybe the season starts with the games in London? If so, I'll be there.

image.jpeg.0f8da3cf662aed79f060a6a271dce3c3.jpeg

Why don't the players and owners work on and complete their new deal now?  This way, if the players strike, nobody will miss any games anyways.  But oops........there goes their leverage.   :)

I’m in a payment plan for the tigers. A 12 month. Once my partner pays me then the balance is taken care of. I am not worried. I figure they will just credit me for next year.  I don’t think they start again until the ASB.  That is just a WAG 

How many weeks of training is the minimum they'll need, and will it entail actual games?  3-4 weeks?

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

How many weeks of training is the minimum they'll need, and will it entail actual games?  3-4 weeks?

For the Tigers?  More like 45-50.  

I doubt there will be fans for several months, maybe the entire year

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Oblong said:

I’m in a payment plan for the tigers. A 12 month. Once my partner pays me then the balance is taken care of. I am not worried. I figure they will just credit me for next year.  I don’t think they start again until the ASB.  That is just a WAG 

If the playoffs are any indication, the Cubs will give me the option to either take a credit or take the money. I always take the money.

I have four seat partners who've sent me money, including a new major partner who's taken 50% of my games, and who are all being very patient while we all wait to hear what happens next. Great guys, all of them. My assumption is, Baseball will finally call off the season in maybe early August, Cubs will wait the obligatory 6-8 weeks, and I finally get the money back in early October.

4 hours ago, leflore said:

I doubt there will be fans for several months, maybe the entire year

I hadn't thought about this, but this strikes me as really possible. I think people are going to be freaked to be around other people for years, some for the rest of their lives. This event will scar Gen Z for life. Maybe the cohort will even be renamed Gen CV.

Me, once they give the all clear and assuming this thing doesn't kill me or permanently injure me, I'm going. Oh, hells yeah, I'm going.

My MLB Extra Innings package renewal just showed up on my bill, the first of six scheduled payments, due April 10. So I call DirecTV and I ask, so the season's not even going to start on time, am I still expected to pay? And bless their pointed heads, they said yes, they expect me to pay for the full year of Extra Innings even though the season is going to miss at least two months, I guess because if they don't do business as usual, the virus wins.

And now, for the first time since 1999, I am not a subscriber to MLB Extra Innings. ?

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I hadn't thought about this, but this strikes me as really possible. I think people are going to be freaked to be around other people for years, some for the rest of their lives. This event will scar Gen Z for life. Maybe the cohort will even be renamed Gen CV.

Me, once they give the all clear and assuming this thing doesn't kill me or permanently injure me, I'm going. Oh, hells yeah, I'm going.

i dont know.  people are 1) pretty stupid and 2) going to be looking for a huge release after being cooped up at home for two months.

its like after 911, it will go away after a while.

of course, when the virus comes back stronger next year all bets are off.

Gen Z don't go to ball games.  The bigger, long-term concern for baseball is their fan base will erode.  Interest in little league/high school sports is down.  

45 minutes ago, chasfh said:

My MLB Extra Innings package renewal just showed up on my bill, the first of six scheduled payments, due April 10. So I call DirecTV and I ask, so the season's not even going to start on time, am I still expected to pay? And bless their pointed heads, they said yes, they expect me to pay for the full year of Extra Innings even though the season is going to miss at least two months, I guess because if they don't do business as usual, the virus wins.

And now, for the first time since 1999, I am not a subscriber to MLB Extra Innings. ?

Thanks for the heads up.  I will probably cancel too.  

DirectTV told me I would not be charged while they are not playing games.  I cancelled it anyway, because I have a feeling they'll automatically charge me and I will have to call again and be put on hold for an hour.