Tigrrfan

MLB .. to be suspended indefinitely due to Co-Vid19

18 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

In the 10 years I've been here I think I've only spent a grand total of 10 mins in the political forum. Perhaps 10 minutes too much but still one of the rare healthy choices I've made in my life.

I don't remember ever going there until this administration was voted in (by a minority).

Maybe I will grab a random game thread from way back and move it over and bump it.  Just reading it could spur some conversation.  Then close it 24 hours later. 

55 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Maybe I will grab a random game thread from way back and move it over and bump it.  Just reading it could spur some conversation.  Then close it 24 hours later. 

GUILLEN/WEAVER. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Oblong said:

Pull in a Joe Nathan game thread, like the one where JD's home run gave us the lead in the top of the 9th.  I don't hold a grudge.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Oblong said:

Anything but the game in New York where Cabrera got to Rivera but the tigers ultimately lost anyway. 

I will have to wait until I am at my laptop. Not sure I can stomach anything from 2013.  

either I will look for a specific game for an event or just find one randomly and see where it takes us. I’ll do that blind. 

11 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

An Ian Kindler TOOTBLAN.

So many to choose from.

Oh yes.  Just keep running until you get tagged.

16 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Pull in a Joe Nathan game thread, like the one where JD's home run gave us the lead in the top of the 9th.  I don't hold a grudge.

September 16, 2014

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Shaping up to be the year without baseball.  Hope I’m wrong.

I am thinking it will be much further out than originally thought to be. Maybe start first week in June with no AS game this year. Abbreviated regular season schedule with modified playoff schedules. At least, that was my guess earlier today.

I read it could be a year until there is a vaccine. Unless there is some method designed that can screen and protect in masses I would think there is a decent chance all sports are scratched for many months. I hope I'm wrong. This seems like it could be shaping up to be a large scale paradigm shift on many levels.

1 hour ago, leflore said:

I read it could be a year until there is a vaccine. Unless there is some method designed that can screen and protect in masses I would think there is a decent chance all sports are scratched for many months. I hope I'm wrong. This seems like it could be shaping up to be a large scale paradigm shift on many levels.

Not sure there needs to be a vaccine. Testing and getting those infected in quarantine will go a long way in cutting down on this. Plus the warm weather hypothesis. It could be back by mid-june. Hoping anyhow. 

34 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Plus the warm weather hypothesis

hard to have much hope in that considering places like Italy, Seattle, Iran have been so hard hit.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

hard to have much hope in that considering places like Italy, Seattle, Iran have been so hard hit.

Local heat won't kill it due to travel and such. It has to warm up globally.

edit: In the northern hemisphere I mean. As an aside, how are countries in the southern hemisphere doing? Well I guess it's fall there now anyhow. 

On 3/14/2020 at 7:49 AM, Oblong said:

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

Local heat won't kill it due to travel and such. It has to warm up globally.

edit: In the northern hemisphere I mean. As an aside, how are countries in the southern hemisphere doing? Well I guess it's fall there now anyhow. 

No-one is really sure, but one theory is that with flu at least, it's not the temp, it's the absolute humidity, which at least some recent work supports. But data for corona viruses appear to be inconsistent.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/why-do-dozens-diseases-wax-and-wane-seasons-and-will-covid-19   (about 2/3rds of the way down)

As to the question: why absolute humidity?  A factor they don't mention in particular but I've seen mentioned elsewhere, would be how quickly the virus particles or the droplets they are in fall out of the air. Humidity has a strong effect on the ionic charge of virtually all surfaces - which in turns affects whether they repel or stick to one another and other things.