Tigrrfan

MLB .. to be suspended indefinitely due to Co-Vid19

28 minutes ago, Shelton said:

2 days away. 

usmnt "stars".  thats a good one.  funny.

english league is back on june 17.

italian league comes back on june 20.  

if the italian league can come back, we can play sports in this country.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

italian league comes back on june 20.  

if the italian league can come back, we can play sports in this country.

What happens if money prevents the mostly  non-contact sport from having a season in 2020 while the NBA, NHL salvage playoffs and the NFL starts on-time or close to it?       Jeff Passan says some owners just want to "punt the season".    I don't think MLB is as strong as some of you do.  I think they'd be in serious trouble.  

Baseball isn’t strong—it’s basically irrelevant to almost everyone under 20.  It will sustain for some time, but the lack of young fan support will start to catch up.

Baseball has what it always has: the summer and history.

Is that enough to sustain it?  I think so.  That said, baseball needs to change to keep it relevant, and not let the players' aversion to change keep it from enforcing rules to increase the pace of play.  It can do this, but it needs a strong commissioner who is willing to enforce the rules and make the players abide by them.  Is Manfred that guy?  I have my doubts.

There is no reason a baseball game should take more than 2 or 2 1/2 hours.  None.

16 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Is that enough to sustain it?  I think so.  That said, baseball needs to change to keep it relevant, and not let the players' aversion to change keep it from enforcing rules to increase the pace of play.  It can do this, but it needs a strong commissioner who is willing to enforce the rules and make the players abide by them.  Is Manfred that guy?  I have my doubts.

There is no reason a baseball game should take more than 2 or 2 1/2 hours.  None.

a lot of those 2 hr games were when pitchers were putting up 2.00 ERAs. That '56 Tiger Yankee game someone posted that featured 2 hr each by Mantle and Kaline ran 2:45. I'd be happy to see a 2:30 average. You'd be walking out of the average 7:10 start at quarter to 10. 

Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

a lot of those 2 hr games were when pitchers were putting up 2.00 ERAs. That '56 Tiger Yankee game someone posted that featured 2 hr each by Mantle and Kaline ran 2:45. I'd be happy to see a 2:30 average. You'd be walking out of the average 7:10 start at quarter to 10. 

2:30 would be great too.

They need to take people's attention spans into account.  As has been discussed here many times, I would love to see them "deaden" the ball to decrease home runs and increase base running again.  Less walks, more balls in play.  Enforce a time limit between pitches. 

Even the NFL is starting to cut down on replay now because they realize how much it slows down play.  If college football comes back, I hope they take the cue and do the same.

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

2:30 would be great too.

They need to take people's attention spans into account.  As has been discussed here many times, I would love to see them "deaden" the ball to decrease home runs and increase base running again.  Less walks, more balls in play.  Enforce a time limit between pitches. 

Even the NFL is starting to cut down on replay now because they realize how much it slows down play.  If college football comes back, I hope they take the cue and do the same.

I’d also favor raising the mound back to the 1968 height. Agree with all of your points.

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

With the way everything has been delayed into the summer this year, and the inherent delay in restarting the following season, it feels like the NBA should seriously consider changing their calendar to run from January to August or something like that. 

For as nice as it is to be outside on a nice summer day/night to watch a baseball game, it’s also nice to get inside and out of the heat on those oppressively hot days. 

Is there a good reason that the NBA uses its current calendar?

12 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Baseball isn’t strong—it’s basically irrelevant to almost everyone under 20.  It will sustain for some time, but the lack of young fan support will start to catch up.

Maybe. Or maybe those young fans will get older and become less interested in the shiny things that distracted them when they were young and turn to baseball once they have settled down. 

25 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Maybe. Or maybe those young fans will get older and become less interested in the shiny things that distracted them when they were young and turn to baseball once they have settled down. 

maybe.  but the older i get, the harder it is to pay attention and watch a 4 hour baseball game.

baseball plays 162 games a year and is always on.  thats its allure to me.  and rooting against the white sox.  i may grow old, but rooting against the sox never will.

12 minutes ago, Buddha said:

maybe.  but the older i get, the harder it is to pay attention and watch a 4 hour baseball game.

baseball plays 162 games a year and is always on.  thats its allure to me.  and rooting against the white sox.  i may grow old, but rooting against the sox never will.

I haven’t watched a baseball game all the way through in years. The fact that it is always on during the summer is something that I think dovetails nicely for aging sports fans. You gotta put something on after the kids are in bed. 

la liga starts up again on june 11.

sports are coming back, baby!

7 hours ago, Shelton said:

With the way everything has been delayed into the summer this year, and the inherent delay in restarting the following season, it feels like the NBA should seriously consider changing their calendar to run from January to August or something like that. 

For as nice as it is to be outside on a nice summer day/night to watch a baseball game, it’s also nice to get inside and out of the heat on those oppressively hot days. 

Is there a good reason that the NBA uses its current calendar?

Hockey is on a similar schedule... maybe because they figure people won’t pay much attention in the summer?  Like with TV shows?  Once kids are out of school then life becomes less stable.  

9 hours ago, Buddha said:

I like that it is on every night in the summer, has meaningful stats and a rich history.  Because of the discrete event stats, I feel like I can keep good track of what's going on without watching all the games.  I can also go back 50 years and look at a player's stats and get a strong sense of exactly what kind of player he was.  I know that other sports have a lot of stats, especially the NBA, but I don't think you can just look at stats in other sports and get a real feel for the game because players are so connected and events are not so discrete.   I think the allure of basketball and hockey for most fans is the speed and non-stop action.  

4 hours ago, Oblong said:

Hockey is on a similar schedule... maybe because they figure people won’t pay much attention in the summer?  Like with TV shows?  Once kids are out of school then life becomes less stable.  

Hockey could also have problems with the ice in the heat of summer.  Especially now that it's all over America.

14 hours ago, Oblong said:

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

Hockey could also have problems with the ice in the heat of summer.  Especially now that it's all over America.

Yeah, I seem to remember reading various accounts of teams having trouble keeping ice in shape late in the playoffs.

I think it could be interesting to go from World Series in October, then the holidays and the NFL playoffs, followed by NHL season winding down and playoffs starting in the spring, and then the nba playoffs late in the summer, followed by football starting again. 

On 5/28/2020 at 11:27 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

It's not the length of the game that matters.  It's the pace.  Fans don't want to want to watch batters and pitchers taking forever to get ready.  

32 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It's not the length of the game that matters.  It's the pace.  Fans don't want to want to watch batters and pitchers taking forever to get ready.  

correct, but total runs and hits are fine - if anything they are on the high side, so if that same number of events take place in less time that is still a fair proxy for pace. Now paradoxically, if they adopt a lot of the reforms that we talk about, there will (hopefully!) be fewer pitches thrown per game, so maybe on second thought you have to distinguish "pace of what". If you get to a 9 inning game with 110 pitches per team in 2 1/2 and average say - 13 men on base per side (10 hits and 3 BB) and only 2 K's, the time per pitch could actually go up but the pace in terms of runners on base would be way up as well.

35 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

How did this become a systemic norm? 

Also, I found this link interesting which a lot of you may already be familiar with but I’m only just now getting around to reading it.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-cause-of-lengthening-mlb-games/

another thing which goes into the time per pitch average but is really a separate issue is the whole sign integrity problem. Nothing explodes time per pitch more and drags the game at specific points than a battery that believes its signs are compromised. This would be a great place to apply a little simple tech. The catcher could wear a small keypad  - say somewhere he can reach with his throwing hand in his crouch. He picks  maybe a two button sequence just by touch, the batter gets the translation - "fastball.down.in" verballly in an earpiece. Secure, interactive since the pitcher can still always shake off a sign. No need to go through repeated series or make mound visits to change signs.