Tigrrfan

MLB .. to be suspended indefinitely due to Co-Vid19

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The extra weight does more to slow down the rotational velocity of the bat.  There is no upper bound on bat weight now, if I am not mistaken.  There were guys playing with 40 oz bats 100 years ago

Ted Williams is usually credited with creating the shift to lighter, whippier bats.

ruth started out with a 42 ounce bat.

Yup.  And they had thick handles back then.

That is why there are stories about guys who used a single bat for an entire season.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

That is why there are stories about guys who used a single bat for an entire season.

Some of  those bats were hickory in the early days weren't they? Hickory is ~20% stronger than maple/ash, but of course also 20% heavier. I can easily imagine a hickory baseball bat lasting a season.

I find myself wanting to delve into the world of Taiwanese baseball… Only game in town.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Apparently this discussion is still going on. 

Dudes talking about the size of their bats  

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

Apparently this discussion is still going on. 

With insightful contributions like yours, it may go on even further.

19 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/yankees/2020/04/08/new-york-yankees-legend-lou-gehrig-bat-sells-1-025-million/2971062001/

It talks about how this bat could've potentially been used for years by Gehrig. 

Not MLB related, but these types of articles are annoying. I haven’t even read it yet. 

I feel like without fans, they can figure out a way to spread out the 128 players effectively. 

On 4/14/2020 at 4:44 PM, lordstanley said:

cpbl - 1.png

cpbl-2.jpg

So, are the mannequins without legs cheaper than full body mannequins?  Or did they put some of the mannequin legs in the bathroom stalls?

The robots are an interesting touch.

I can't say that I blame them.  There's still a lot of unknowns to figure out.  This isn't just trying to reschedule a rain out.

Which would they prefer? No games means no pay. Their choice. All sports are in a payroll mess. Any idea if teams are forced to pay the players? And if so, do teams still get their TV money?

On 4/14/2020 at 11:24 AM, tiger337 said:

It would quicken some, but I think most of the slow pace is due to pitchers and batters taking too long to get ready.  That is the biggest difference I notice when I see videos of old games.  

I agree. Wasn't there talk of a relief pitcher having to pitch to three hitters to speed the game up? I thought I read that. They should have a clock for the pitcher and make hitters  stay in the box.

7 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Which would they prefer? No games means no pay. Their choice. All sports are in a payroll mess. Any idea if teams are forced to pay the players? And if so, do teams still get their TV money?

At Trout and Kershaw's end of things, I shouldn't think not getting paid for a year makes much difference does it?

12 hours ago, tiger337 said:

The players are balking at the plans to plain AZ/FL.  They think it's unsafe and they don't want to be away from their families all year.  The article is about Trout, but Kershaw also spoke out against it.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/mike-trout-ml-bs-proposed-plan-for-a-quarantined-season-has-red-flags-191508202.html

So, two players have balked at it publicly, both of whom are already set financially. 

11 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

The players are getting modest payments through the end of May, depending on their status. Guys on multi-year contracts for instance, like trout, are getting paid a daily salary that would the same as if he was making about 900k.

17 minutes ago, Shelton said:

So, two players have balked at it publicly, both of whom are already set financially. 

There are quite a few players set financially.  Some of them will want to play, but if enough star players refuse to play, that creates a problem.  

11 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I agree. Wasn't there talk of a relief pitcher having to pitch to three hitters to speed the game up? I thought I read that. They should have a clock for the pitcher and make hitters  stay in the box.

Agreed. The accumulation of the extra time for every pitch is what really adds up. And it’s understandable why it is happening. Hitters and pitchers have so much data now to consider between every pitch. I figure that when hitters step out after every pitch and fiddle with whatever they are fiddling with, they are trying to game out what the next pitch is going to be, often looking at a base coach or the dugout for guidance. Same thing with the pitchers and catcher.

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

There are quite a few players set financially.  Some of them will want to play, but if enough star players refuse to play, that creates a problem.  

Ok. That is different than what you were implying before based on trout’s (and kershaw’s) comments.

But with regard to your revised statement, I agree that some other star players with excess money in the bank would also not have as much interest and incentive to play. 

On the other hand, there are a **** of a lot of players that haven’t even reached arbitration yet, or haven’t reached free agency, or guys that haven’t yet built up the fat bank account, who might have a pretty big incentive to start playing games. 

And there are probably a lot of guys who are very financially set but still would prefer to have another 10 million (or whatever their contract may be) in exchange for playing quarantined games. 

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

Ok. That is different than what you were implying before based on trout’s (and kershaw’s) comments.

But with regard to your revised statement, I agree that some other star players with excess money in the bank would also not have as much interest and incentive to play. 

On the other hand, there are a **** of a lot of players that haven’t even reached arbitration yet, or haven’t reached free agency, or guys that haven’t yet built up the fat bank account, who might have a pretty big incentive to start playing games. 

And there are probably a lot of guys who are very financially set but still would prefer to have another 10 million (or whatever their contract may be) in exchange for playing quarantined games. 

I also don't think Trout and Kershaw would speak out as lone wolves.  Maybe, it's just a clique of wealthy players, but I would bet they have talked to others with similar views.  

I’m waiting to hear from Trevor Bauer.

it's really looking doubtful that there will be baseball this year, if it requires sequestering players in hotel rooms.  no way they agree to that.