Tigrrfan

MLB .. to be suspended indefinitely due to Co-Vid19

Electric strike zones & no mound visits.  Necessity might end up being the mother of invention on this one?  If there ever were a time to try it out, this is probably it.  Any hardware changes needed to iron out the wrinkles would all be within driving distance of each other.

I'll add another, albeit minor.  Get rid of the running lane between home and first.

“Nothing about this is ideal, but for the league and its fans, it could be better than no baseball at all.”

In my ever so humble opinion, hardly.

the thought of losing hundreds of millions of dollars will lead them to consider all sorts of desperate maneuvers.

yeah, lets lock up the players in a compound and play games in front of no fans.  and we'll make the players sit six feet apart!  and have 40 man teams in case someone gets sick!  and we'll play all the games in arizona because no one is sick there!  and we can test every day!

yeah.  that will work for sure.

Ghost runners.  Pull field and center field hits only since there are only 5 defenders on the field.  Pitcher's mound out.

Did you guys ever use a lawn chair for the strike zone whilst playing wiffle ball?  Maybe they could use that instead of the electronic strike zone?

they need to play 15 games a day; or do some teams gets a bye?

11 stadiums. Chase hosts 3 games a day. Still need 2 MiL parks to host 2 games a day. As soon as one player on a team tests positive, then what?

MLB would need to 2 entire hotels and a lot of medical resources. If AZ has a lull in cases, that might be palatable but what if they get a surge?

I think it is a great idea, but doubt they can pull it off

On 4/5/2020 at 5:48 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

9 States still have yet to do anything about this virus (all with Republican governors),  so if you think t his is ending anytime soon, you're kidding yourself.   There will be no baseball season.   I doubt football starts in time.    

You are so far off base. I live in one of the states you mentioned, and I promise you it looks virtually the exact same as others on total lockdown.

Setting aside the entire idea of population density, I advise you to stop assuming things based on the political party of a governor, and do a tiny bit of research before you post stupid crap.

I think the most important consideration is how MLB will be able to milk the crisis to tug on heartstrings and portray themselves as responsible, patriotic corporate citizens.

I expect that at the beginning of each game in Arizona, there will be a P.A. announcement reminding TV viewers how MLB has been intricately linked with health care for over 100 years, that MLB will be making a generous donation of $500 to one hospital for each home run hit during the game, and then a masked nurse or doctor will come out to sing a muffled version of the national version. 

During the 7th inning stretch, one kid who had been invited to the game as a special guest will be led onto the field on the premise that he is going to be given prizes such as toilet paper and sanitizing lotion. But nope, that's not the big reveal! In fact, looking over his shoulder he will see a glass-enclosed golf cart exit the bullpen carrying his 80 year grandmother he hasn't seen in 2 months due to the corona lockdown. Surprise! Weeping, he'll run to the cart, press his palm up against the glass, and his grandma will blow him a kiss. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

A post-season tournament with all 30 teams!!!  And you guys thought I was being an *** for suggesting that.  :D

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Major League Baseball is considering doing away with the American and National Leagues for the 2020 season.

It's just one of several scenarios that the league and the players' association is discussing. The idea would be to split the 30 teams between Arizona and Florida based on the geography of their spring training sites, constructing realigned Cactus League and Grapefruit League divisions during what would be an abbreviated season. Nightengale says that the designated hitter "would likely be universally implemented" under this scenario and that two more Wild Card teams could be added or they could possibly have a postseason tournament with all 30 teams. Like the proposed "Arizona Plan," this is just one idea that's being kicked around, as it doesn't appear anything is close to being decided.

21 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

A post-season tournament with all 30 teams!!!  And you guys thought I was being an *** for suggesting that.  :D

A March Madness-style bracket? I would hate that permanently but for one season could be pretty fun. 

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

If it's fun, why not do it every year?  

It would get old pretty quick. Banging a drunk college girl is fun for a night but wouldn't wanna do it every night. 

7 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

If it's fun, why not do it every year?  

Oh, I've done lots of things that were fun that I wouldn't want to do every year. My wedding comes to mind......

xD

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yoda said:

It would get old pretty quick. Banging a drunk college girl is fun for a night but wouldn't wanna do it every night. 

That's because you respect the game and you're not into playoff hookups.  What about all the casual fans who only care about playoffs?  

I was just thinking (and I apologize if this has been brought up already) that Michael Fulmer might actually start the season with the team.  I don't know about being in the rotation but he might be part of the team.    

On 4/7/2020 at 1:56 PM, lordstanley said:

I think the most important consideration is how MLB will be able to milk the crisis to tug on heartstrings and portray themselves as responsible, patriotic corporate citizens.

I expect that at the beginning of each game in Arizona, there will be a P.A. announcement reminding TV viewers how MLB has been intricately linked with health care for over 100 years, that MLB will be making a generous donation of $500 to one hospital for each home run hit during the game, and then a masked nurse or doctor will come out to sing a muffled version of the national version. 

During the 7th inning stretch, one kid who had been invited to the game as a special guest will be led onto the field on the premise that he is going to be given prizes such as toilet paper and sanitizing lotion. But nope, that's not the big reveal! In fact, looking over his shoulder he will see a glass-enclosed golf cart exit the bullpen carrying his 80 year grandmother he hasn't seen in 2 months due to the corona lockdown. Surprise! Weeping, he'll run to the cart, press his palm up against the glass, and his grandma will blow him a kiss. 

This is ****ing amazing.

• Like 1

Manfred and his minions are going to take full advantage of this season (if there is one) to tinker/experiment with things that would probably not fly under normal circumstances. Under the guise of ‘saving the season’ Manfred & Co. will lay the groundwork for what they want the game to be in the future. As the old adage goes, never let a crisis go to waste.

There are things I would like to see them try such as quickening the pace of play pace of play and deadening the ball.  I also would like to see how an electronic strike zone would work  

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Good.  There are definite opportunities for improvement

What has Manfred improved to date?

11 hours ago, 1776 said:

Manfred and his minions are going to take full advantage of this season (if there is one) to tinker/experiment with things that would probably not fly under normal circumstances. Under the guise of ‘saving the season’ Manfred & Co. will lay the groundwork for what they want the game to be in the future. As the old adage goes, never let a crisis go to waste.

If you thought last year’s ball was juiced, wait until you see Jose Iglesias put up 35 dingers in Camden this season.  In 80 games.

12 hours ago, tiger337 said:

There are things I would like to see them try such as quickening the pace of play pace of play and deadening the ball.  I also would like to see how an electronic strike zone would work  

If they can get any length of a season in, this is definitely the time to try some different things out to improve pace of play. 

Rolling in the pitch clock this season would give current MLB players a chance to adjust to it for next season, and you've got it being used in the minors.  There's no excuse not to have it fully implemented for 2021.  Heck, phase it in during the course of the season, be it this or next.

Deadening the ball should be an easy fix.  Should be.  Shouldn't it?

I doubt we see an electronic strike zone yet.  That seems like something that will start out in one of the independent leagues and slowly ramps up through the minors.  But it seems like they could at least get this implemented for the corners of the plate.

On 4/10/2020 at 10:47 AM, Yoda said:

Well, yeah, not if it's the same girl over and over ... 😜

14 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Deaden the ball enough and the pace of play will quicken naturally.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

If they can get any length of a season in, this is definitely the time to try some different things out to improve pace of play. 

Rolling in the pitch clock this season would give current MLB players a chance to adjust to it for next season, and you've got it being used in the minors.  There's no excuse not to have it fully implemented for 2021.  Heck, phase it in during the course of the season, be it this or next.

Deadening the ball should be an easy fix.  Should be.  Shouldn't it?

I doubt we see an electronic strike zone yet.  That seems like something that will start out in one of the independent leagues and slowly ramps up through the minors.  But it seems like they could at least get this implemented for the corners of the plate.

Regardless of whether it's technically easy to deaden the ball, it would be a political landmine for them to do so.