Tigrrfan

MLB .. to be suspended indefinitely due to Co-Vid19

Once they get the quick result tests in mass supply you wouldn't have to worry about that.  Just test everybody before the game, if anybody has it then they are quarantined.  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Once they get the quick result tests in mass supply you wouldn't have to worry about that.  Just test everybody before the game, if anybody has it then they are quarantined.  

the quick test results thing that turned out to be a fraud?

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

but they played baseball in 1918 during the last big pandemic, so ya never know.

I think this time will be different.  Maybe it will be empty stadiums, maybe no baseball at all.

And I'm calling this the same thing as the 1918 pandemic, but if/when this wave gets flattened, you better stock up on your toilet paper and face masks for this upcoming fall/winter.  Although that's only if 'Murica has heard of 1918.

6 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I think this time will be different.  Maybe it will be empty stadiums, maybe no baseball at all.

And I'm calling this the same thing as the 1918 pandemic, but if/when this wave gets flattened, you better stock up on your toilet paper and face masks for this upcoming fall/winter.  Although that's only if 'Murica has heard of 1918.

i think its definitely different because of social media.

that said, the playgrounds are closed here in chicago.  but its moderately nice out today so there are tons of people at the playground and the soccer fields outside my house.

people are stupid.  they wont do what theyre told until you put some penalty on them.  not even the chances of contracting a potentially deadly disease are enough for these people to stay off a swing set for a few weeks.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

he playgrounds are closed here in chicago.  but its moderately nice out today so there are tons of people at the playground and the soccer fields outside my house.

people are stupid.  they wont do what theyre told until you put some penalty on them.  not even the chances of contracting a potentially deadly disease are enough for these people to stay off a swing set for a few weeks.

If there are parents who brought their children .. why are they not being charged with child endangerment?  Because the 'authorities' have neither the capability nor the courage to charge the masses with it.  So ..ignorant people will endanger others.

On 3/24/2020 at 2:59 PM, Buddha said:

the one thing theyre NOT going to do is shorten the playoffs.  thats their money maker.  they probably wont expand the rosters much either because then they might have to pay more players more money.

This won’t matter in terms of payroll because everyone who’s on the 40-man roster is paid at least the major league minimum, even while playing in the minor leaguers.

If they’re going to cram a ****-ton of games into a short period of time, maybe they can make all 40 players on the roster available throughout the season, and a team must choose which 26 will play for each series. Minor league options get suspended in this scenario, since they probably won’t play the minor league seasons per se (although they will have to play reserve roster games to keep players sharp to get called up for a new series).

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This won’t matter in terms of payroll because everyone who’s on the 40-man roster is paid at least the major league minimum, even while playing in the minor leaguers.

If they’re going to cram a ****-ton of games into a short period of time, maybe they can make all 40 players on the roster available throughout the season, and a team must choose which 26 will play for each series. Minor league options get suspended in this scenario, since they probably won’t play the minor league seasons per se (although they will have to play reserve roster games to keep players sharp to get called up for a new series).

I don’t believe your first paragraph is true. Being on the 40 and on optional assignment is better than being on a minor league deal of course, but you don’t earn the major league minimum while down on the farm. 

5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don’t believe your first paragraph is true. Being on the 40 and on optional assignment is better than being on a minor league deal of course, but you don’t earn the major league minimum while down on the farm. 

I read the wrong source. This is right, an optioned minor leaguer does not necessarily make a major league salary.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I read the wrong source. This is right, an optioned minor leaguer does not necessarily make a major league salary.

That’s why it was so important for the deuce to fake that injury so he could go on the DL rather than being optioned back in the day. 

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

That’s why it was so important for the deuce to fake that injury so he could go on the DL rather than being optioned back in the day. 

The great thing was that he got that money plus he made more money in his businesses than he would have made if he had been playing.  

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

The great thing was that he got that money plus he made more money in his businesses than he would have made if he had been playing.  

Yes and he faked the injury in LA, which was the shortest hitchhike to Vegas.

• Like 1

seeing what's happening in china now has made me go from relatively positive that we would have some sort of season to relatively pessimistic.

i dont see any way that anything get started until at least august at the earliest.  the only real hope is that july humidity kills this thing.  but the idea that theyre going to start up in june is fanciful.  toronto is in lockdown until july.  are you just going to have a season without the blue jays?  as funny as that might be for tigers fans, i dont think the league will do that.

america is now the epicenter of this.  look at italy, they are just starting to level off and its been a month and a half since the first death.  IF new york could be on the same track, it wont start to level off until late april.  and "level off" just means 700 deaths per day.  thats late april/early may.  

wuhan leveled off months ago and still has 50 deaths per day.  

at this rate, just pray it doesnt come back stronger next year like the 1918 flu did.  cause if it does we might not see sports until 2022.

Cuomo stated today I believe that the projected peak in NY is another week out. The numbers of deaths there is absolutely staggering! 

14 hours ago, Buddha said:

seeing what's happening in china now has made me go from relatively positive that we would have some sort of season to relatively pessimistic.

i dont see any way that anything get started until at least august at the earliest.  the only real hope is that july humidity kills this thing. 

Australia has a lot less people dying, so it's possible that there may be a seasonal aspect to it, but it also did social distancing quite early in comparison. It doesn't look good, and next winter is scary.

e2a: Article in the Guardian, which seems a reasonable one in terms of balance: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/05/scientists-ask-could-summer-heat-help-beat-covid-19 There may be some benefit from seasonal changes in immune systems, but overall it seems pessimistic that this is going to die off in the summer.

15 hours ago, Buddha said:

i dont see any way that anything get started until at least august at the earliest.  the only real hope is that july humidity kills this thing.  but the idea that theyre going to start up in june is fanciful.  toronto is in lockdown until july.  are you just going to have a season without the blue jays?  as funny as that might be for tigers fans, i dont think the league will do that.

america is now the epicenter of this.  look at italy, they are just starting to level off and its been a month and a half since the first death.  IF new york could be on the same track, it wont start to level off until late april.  and "level off" just means 700 deaths per day.  thats late april/early may.  

wuhan leveled off months ago and still has 50 deaths per day.  

at this rate, just pray it doesnt come back stronger next year like the 1918 flu did.  cause if it does we might not see sports until 2022.

There are so many moving parts to a professional sports season, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a cancellation sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

There are so many moving parts to a professional sports season, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a cancellation sooner rather than later.

does seem to be more when, not if.

such a narrow window to get the season in; 2 countries; 17 states + DC; and 27 cities need to be ready at the same time

The idea of moving to just one - or maybe a few limited sites and playing all the games out with just the players (after testing them all) is probably the only way to get it done, but you have to ask if such a disjecta membra of actual sports is still even worth doing.

4 hours ago, Casimir said:

Yeah but a lot of them are eliminated or can be done from home, when there are no fans. 

Not like you need ticket takers, hot dogs guys, cleaners, scouts, etc when nobody is in the stands. 

9 States still have yet to do anything about this virus (all with Republican governors),  so if you think t his is ending anytime soon, you're kidding yourself.   There will be no baseball season.   I doubt football starts in time.    

51 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

9 States still have yet to do anything about this virus (all with Republican governors),  so if you think t his is ending anytime soon, you're kidding yourself.   There will be no baseball season.   I doubt football starts in time.    

the virus ran through south korea after a mega church held a huge sermon and an infected person attended.  then it spread through the whole country.

so what do these geniuses do?  keep the churches open.  idiots.

6 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The idea of moving to just one - or maybe a few limited sites and playing all the games out with just the players (after testing them all) is probably the only way to get it done, but you have to ask if such a disjecta membra of actual sports is still even worth doing.

if they were able to do that, it seems like it would fit for football or the nba playoffs.  something where there are a few games at a time.  certainly not baseball.

as noted above, the only hope is that it dies off gradually when flu season ends.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I lie in one of those states and its no different than the state 15 miles up the road with a shelter-in-place order. 

2 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I lie in one of those states and its no different than the state 15 miles up the road with a shelter-in-place order. 

To your point, I‘d prefer more stringent restrictions here in N.C. Two of the several businesses exempted from restricted business hours are pawn shops and the liquor stores. Seriously? My wife made a run to the pharmacy for a drive through prescription pick-up the other day and passed the adjacent Lowes Home Improvement store. She said the parking lot was packed! I don’t understand how people can be so indifferent to this issue. For the record, our governor is a Democrat. 

18 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Yeah but a lot of them are eliminated or can be done from home, when there are no fans. 

Not like you need ticket takers, hot dogs guys, cleaners, scouts, etc when nobody is in the stands. 

That's a good point.  The support staff becomes more of a skeleton crew, although I wonder how those necessary groups would add up?  Grounds crew, radio & television crews, medical staff (which may or may not be a bit of a stickler), clubhouse staff, some stadium support staff....

You know, one thing that has been brought up before was starting the regular season at spring training facilities.  It wouldn't be a show stopper, but I have not heard anything about how the different leagues don't fall into Florida and Arizona well with respect to who plays in which division.  I kind of wonder if timing becomes tight enough and things do get kicked off down south, what are the odds that the American League and National League end up revising themselves into the Florida League and Arizona League just for one season?  Probably unlikely, but we ain't living in likely times.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/04/latest-on-potential-2020-season.html

Play Ball!

Because of the coronavirus, we already know that at least part of the 2020 Major League Baseball Season – if it occurs – could take part in Arizona. Jeff Passan of ESPN sheds more light on what may be a strange baseball season, writing that all 30 major league teams might play spectator-less games “in the greater Phoenix area,” including the Diamondbacks’ home stadium (Chase Field) and 10 nearby spring training venues, if not other facilities. Agent Scott Boras said that Chase Field could host as many as three games a day, Ronald Blum of the Associated Press reports.

Should this plan come to fruition, it might allow the league to begin its season sometime in May. The players wouldn’t be thrilled with possibly having to spend months away from their families, Passan notes, though the fact that they’d be receiving a paycheck is enticing. Plus, high-ranking members of the Major League Baseball Players Association talked Saturday “with health officials who offered the plan as the clearest way for baseball to restart,” writes Passan, who adds that the union and the league started discussing the idea Monday. Their talks on the matter are likely to continue this week.

If a season does take place, it would likely require a two- to three-week spring training tuneup beforehand, per Passan. And if someone from one of the organizations happens to contract the coronavirus then or during the season, “officials do not believe that a positive alone would necessarily be cause to quarantine an entire team or shut down the season,” Passan writes. Rather, the possibility may lead to expanded rosters and more players receiving major league service time, which is appealing to the union.

So, in the event that the campaign gets underway in Arizona, what might it entail? Passan lays it out in his piece: Owing to social distancing, we could see an electronic strike zone and no mound visits from catchers and coaches. There’s also a chance of seven-inning doubleheaders to increase the number of games played. Nothing about this is ideal, but for the league and its fans, it could be better than no baseball at all.