Deleterious

Season suspended

9 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I heard an interesting idea floated by an ESPN talking head this morning.    The league extends the season into August and then starts next season in December.   This becomes the new NBA schedule going forward.     

That is interesting.  It seems like there was a lot of buzz this season about revamping the schedule to be like this anyway, with the theory being that nobody pays attention until around December anyway.

13 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I heard an interesting idea floated by an ESPN talking head this morning.    The league extends the season into August and then starts next season in December.   This becomes the new NBA schedule going forward.     

I like this idea. You'd only have the first 2 months of the season overlap with the NFL and their playoffs and you'd be done by week 1.

Most NBA cities have a MLB team and MLB plays damn near every day.  I doubt the NBA would want to go up against them over the summer.  

Woj reported that some were fine with the hiatus.  Some more wanted to keep playing but without fans.  But Houston, New York, and Indiana all wanted to keep playing with fans in the stands.  

7 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Most NBA cities have a MLB team and MLB plays damn near every day.  I doubt the NBA would want to go up against them over the summer.  

Well, the NBA is competing with the NFL in October & November. And while NFL only plays on Monday/Thursday/Sunday for the most part, the media coverage is focused heavily on football over basketball during that time.

Head to head...the NBA would still own the coverage over MLB. But I can see why owners would be worried about losing fans along the way. 

9 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I don't know.  Without looking too much at which teams overlap, my guess is that a lot of those teams are 3 or 4 sport leagues with a substantial enough population that the entertainment competition wouldn't be too fierce.  But that's just a guess.

And as far as the NBA/NHL, I would guess a lot of those teams in the above scenario would find spreading game dates out throughout the calendar a bit more rather than concentrated on top of each other might be beneficial, but again, that's just a guess.

10 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Woj reported that some were fine with the hiatus.  Some more wanted to keep playing but without fans.  But Houston, New York, and Indiana all wanted to keep playing with fans in the stands.  

Not surprising at all.  

Tillman Fertitta owns restaurant chains and Herbert Simon owns shopping malls.   Two industries that would suffer greatly if avoiding crowds became the accepted practice. 

And of course James Dolan is just an idiot. 

Season gets delayed 2 months and they end up playing the entire remaining schedule.  Blake, Luke, and Rose are back healthy, Pistons go 10-6 in their remaining games and finish in the 9th spot for the lottery.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Gobert sounds like a treat.

Example of someone who thinks they are smarter than public health experts. Trump would be proud.

3 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Example of someone who thinks they are smarter than public health experts. Trump would be proud.

Yep.  I was glad to see Casey and Galloway last night on the post game interviews.  Both basically saying we need to listen to the experts.  

5 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Yep.  I was glad to see Casey and Galloway last night on the post game interviews.  Both basically saying we need to listen to the experts.  

Galloway has always impressed me in the way he interacts with media, fans and players. Seems like a real solid guy.

2 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Galloway has always impressed me in the way he interacts with media, fans and players. Seems like a real solid guy.

I agree.

13 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Kevin Love has donated a 100k towards the arena staff.  

Respect to Love.

But Gilbert should be taking care of his staff. 

4 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Respect to Love.

But Gilbert should be taking care of his staff. 

They had already announced they would be paying hourly employees.  So have the Pistons.  

2 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

They had already announced they would be paying hourly employees.  So have the Pistons.  

Oh okay, if this is funding in addition to their hourly pay that is fantastic. 

Don't forget that NBATV has old final series ondemand.  Last I looked all three of the Pistons titles were on there.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2020 at 10:06 AM, 313DetroitCity said:

my daughter was part of a group of kids from chicago public schools who got to attend nba all star weekend (her school has the best attendance in the city and she's on student council so she got to go).  they went to navy pier and let them run around and "practice" with a bunch of players.  she was in a group whose player was Langston Galloway.  she said he was really nice, wasnt stuck up or acting bored by having to play with a bunch if 5th graders.

so yeah, he seems like a real good guy.

they also all got new steph curry shoes, so she enjoyed her swag...