Deleterious

Season suspended

Utah was in town this past weekend.  I'm sure all the Pistons players will be tested.  Locker room attendants, etc.  

It's the right move. I expect other leagues to follow suit. Scary situation.

On another note, Gobert is a ******* idiot. 

Right decision cause after all in the grand scheme of things sports isn't worth risking public safety but with that said I'm not sure how much it's going to help suspending it unless they are prepared to having it be pretty lengthy.    I mean I guess it isn't going to hurt and it could help flatten the curve and buy some time but this virus isn't going to just be under control in a few weeks.  

The Pistons last game was supposed to be April 14th.  That means the playoffs would have started the 18th.

I bet the scrap the remainder of the regular season and then come back for the playoffs with empty arenas.  Maybe they try to get 5 or 6 regular season games in before the playoffs.  

32 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

It doesn't impact players much at all.  But it crushes the stadium workers.

Good for Cuban, not real sure how unemployment works but would the staff be able to collect it under these circumstances?   I know many do this as a part time job so I'm sure those people probably can't but for the jobs that are full time I wonder if they can?  Either way I hope they end up getting some compensation.  

• Thanks 1

Expect this list to grow.  OKC used a plane that was later used by Orlando and Memphis.  

55 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Good for Cuban, not real sure how unemployment works but would the staff be able to collect it under these circumstances?   I know many do this as a part time job so I'm sure those people probably can't but for the jobs that are full time I wonder if they can?  Either way I hope they end up getting some compensation.  

Unemployment is a state thing so things could be a little different.  But generally if the reason you're out of work is out of your hands, you can collect.  

8 hours ago, Deleterious said:

The Pistons last game was supposed to be April 14th.  That means the playoffs would have started the 18th.

I bet the scrap the remainder of the regular season and then come back for the playoffs with empty arenas.  Maybe they try to get 5 or 6 regular season games in before the playoffs.  

The one year we tank, the season will get cut short and we won't get a top pick. Awesome.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Good on Cuban and anyone else in a similar position like him as an owner/operator with employees in an industry that could take a hit.

8 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Unemployment is a state thing so things could be a little different.  But generally if the reason you're out of work is out of your hands, you can collect.  

I am salary so it doesn't affect me and I don't exactly know all of the particulars.  But our place of operations has had some shutdown weeks over the past decade where hourly employees can collect unemployment provided some provisions are met (no hours worked during the week, vacation days not taken, insufficient production taking place, maximum of weeks taken during a year, etc.).  They collect a fraction of normal pay for the week, maybe 70%?

20 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

The one year we tank, the season will get cut short and we won't get a top pick. Awesome.

Oh, don't worry.  There's always next year.

9 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of how this impacts people, but this would suck for the Pistons playoff chances. If the season plays out, I think they drop further in the tank lottery.

I'm going to be forced into watching college basketball.  I'm ready to declare this a state of emergency.

• Thanks 1

I heard an interesting idea floated by an ESPN talking head this morning.    The league extends the season into August and then starts next season in December.   This becomes the new NBA schedule going forward.