Hart

2020 NBA Draft

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Killian Hayes is the guy I like of the point guards likely to be in the Pistons range. He has size,  a really good handle, is athletic, good vision and really likes to drive to the basket at least based on the limited highlight packages I've seen and come on, two Frenchies on the team would be bliss, at least for Buddha.

Oui.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

NBA Mock Draft: The Athletic’s beat writers predict the top 5 picks

They have Ball to the Pistons at #4.

I tell ya what.  If someone takes Avdija at #2 they are going to be passing on guys who will have better careers.  IMO, Avdija has benefited from Covid and the fact he is one of the few guys still playing basketball.

nbadraftnet has us taking killian hayes at 5.  avidja they have at 9 to the wizards.  ball they have at 3 to the twolves.

In the unlikely scenario that we actually move up in the lottery I'm warming up to the idea of Ball.  Still prefer Edwards but if he's gone and we're picking 2 or 3 I wouldn't be opposed to Ball.  I was originally totally against the idea due to his jumper but it seems like he's been putting in the work the last few months and his brother's jumper has improved and now is at the point where it is atleast serviceable.  With his athleticism and vision if Lamelo can get to that point he could be an All Star.    

Absolutely don't want Ball.

Court vision is nice, but if you can't draw a double on penetration then there's no open man to kick it to.  He doesn't have the jumpshot to force the defender to play him close enough for the drive by and he doesn't have the top level speed/athleticism to get by someone whose playing off of him because of his broken shot.

Maybe he proves me wrong and becomes a great player...but if so, then his dad will just push him to a bigger market anyway.

I see drafting Ball as a lose/lose situation.

11 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Absolutely don't want Ball.

Court vision is nice, but if you can't draw a double on penetration then there's no open man to kick it to.  He doesn't have the jumpshot to force the defender to play him close enough for the drive by and he doesn't have the top level speed/athleticism to get by someone whose playing off of him because of his broken shot.

Maybe he proves me wrong and becomes a great player...but if so, then his dad will just push him to a bigger market anyway.

I see drafting Ball as a lose/lose situation.

You're under the assumption that he isn't going to develop a jump shot.  You can't teach athleticism, instinct and to a lesser extent court vision but you can teach shooting mechanics.   I have Lavar Ball as much as the next guy but he was a former pro football player so that tells me he was a premier athlete, and he has 2 sons likely to both end up being top 3 picks. 

What does this have to do with anything?  It means that they have athletics in their blood and are natural athletes, and the more athletic you are the more likely you are to repeat an athletic move like shooting a basketball.  Lonzo  is now a 38% shooter from deep, and has improved his jumper drastically every year.   Plus Lamelo shoots 73% from the FT, not great but much better than what Lonzo did in college so that tells me he has a better stroke to work with.   

Again not my first choice but in this draft I feel every player has flaws so you're going to take a chance no matter who you take.  I think Ball at the worst is going to be a lengthy PG that can play good defense and be a great distributor.  That's not a bad floor.   

Not shocked by this.  He doesn't look impressive and plays against atrocious competition.  

2020 NBA Draft Buzz: Who'd Trade Up for LaMelo Ball, Top Prospect Slipping

Teams Aren't as High on Killian Hayes as Bleacher Report and Various Media 

The No. 2 player on Bleacher Report's big board isn't No. 2 for NBA teams. We haven't talked to any scout that had Killian Hayes that high, with their concerns focused on his burst, shooting, favorable role for putting up stats and Ratiopharm Ulm's 1-9 record in Eurocup.

It's sounding likely that Hayes will be available to teams picking in the second half of the lottery, as Haliburton appears to be a more popular point guard. 

Hayes chose not to join Ratiopharm when the German League season resumed last month. Instead, he started training for the draft. 

Though we love his combination of pick-and-roll scoring and passing, shot-creation skills, touch in the paint, shot-making improvement and defensive awareness, it's safer to project the 6'5" ball-handler falling in the No. 7-14 range. 

Avdija had a big game today.  His team advanced to the final four of whatever playoff system they have.

The more I read about the prospects in this draft, the more I realize how weak it is.

21 hours ago, Betrayer said:

The more I read about the prospects in this draft, the more I realize how weak it is.

guaranteed we get the #1 pick, lol.

40 minutes ago, Buddha said:

guaranteed we get the #1 pick, lol.

About the only happy scenario in my eyes right now.  Take Edwards and hope he becomes Wade or Mitchell.

18 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

About the only happy scenario in my eyes right now.  Take Edwards and hope he becomes Wade or Mitchell.

yup.

This is his big board, not a mock.

2020 NBA Draft Big Board: Pre-Early Entry Deadline Edition

LaMelo Ball, Illawarra Hawks
G
6-6
N/A
Anthony Edwards, Georgia
G
6-4
6-8
Obi Toppin, Dayton
F/C
6-9
6-11
James Wiseman, Memphis
C
7-1
7-6
Tyrese Haliburton, Iowa State
G/W
6-5
6-7
Onyeka Okongwu, USC
F/C
6-8
7-0
Deni Avdija, Maccabi Tel Aviv
F
6-9
N/A
Killian Hayes, Ulm
G
6-5
N/A
Isaac Okoro, Auburn
W
6-6
6-9
Kira Lewis Jr., Alabama
G
6-3
6-6

There is speculation because so many teams are losing money this year that 1st round picks not in the lottery might be for sale.  Sounds like someone worth taking a shot at in the bottom third of the 1st round.

• The first guy I want to point out here is San Diego State point guard Malachi Flynn. The more I watch Flynn, the more excited I am about his potential fit in the NBA. Simply put, there just isn’t anything he does poorly. He has a vicious handle that he uses to create his own shot at will. He’s a really strong pull-up shooter, with a 47.2 effective field goal percentage. His in-between game is strong because of that pull-up skill.  He doesn’t finish remarkably well all the way at the rim, but his floater game is superb and helps account for his finishing. His footwork and mastery of ball-screens are sublime, as is his ability to split defenders in such scenarios to get to the rim. Once he’s in the middle of the court, he’s a terrific passer and playmaker for his teammates and rarely turns the ball over. Defensively, he battles and claws and was the Mountain West’s Defensive Player of the Year. And the background on Flynn is also terrific, as he’s known as an exceptionally hard worker who is wildly competitive. This is the closest player to Fred VanVleet that has entered the draft since VanVleet did in 2016. I can’t imagine that teams will let the mistake of VanVleet going undrafted happen twice. I know that Flynn has size question marks, but I have him solidly as a first-round graded player.

Pistons need to be draft buyers.  If you're going to rebuild, you've got to find ways to stockpile draft picks.

2020 NBA Draft College Coaches Poll: Cole Anthony set to polarize NBA teams

I think the first coach hit the nail on the head with Anthony this season. His athleticism simply did not play up in halfcourt opportunities. That was ultimately my biggest concern, even with the contextual factors I’ll bring up momentarily. Around the basket, he doesn’t have a ton of finishing craft. His lack of length really shows up as he doesn’t really have the ability to extend and finish around the rim. At lower levels, he was able to just explode through and around guys. In college, that didn’t happen. He made just 39.2 percent of his shots around the rim, a stunningly low number for someone this talented and athletic in transition. Even with the situation around him, that’s just abysmal. He actually made a much higher percentage of his midrange jumpers this year in the halfcourt (44.4 percent) than he did shots around the basket. That’s extremely suboptimal for someone entering a league contingent upon 3s and layups. It’s fair to raise the alarm bell here.

I get a huge Stanley Johnson vibe from Anthony.  He is struggling athletically against mostly guys who will never play professional basketball.  What happens in the NBA where everyone sprints like a gazelle, can jump over the moon, and can bench press a Yugo?  

Vecenie discussed Anthony on his podcast this week.  He said Anthony only shot 32% from the field against ranked opponents.  That is another SJ comparison IMO.  Before his draft, DraftExpress ran a snippet about SJ and broke down his stats against bad/good teams.  He stat padded against the weaker opponents and really struggled against the good ones.

I can't imagine he'll be drafted in the range we're picking anyway, so that's good.  He should go a good 5-10 spots after we pick.

Something else I forgot to mention from that podcast.  Vecenie and his guest cast a lot of doubt on the G-League happening next year.  It obviously loses money, and teams won't be wanting to pay to keep it going if they cant have fans at NBA games next year.

That would be bad for those high school kids that picked the G-League over college.  I guess a college season probably won't happen either, so maybe it wont matter in the end.

The more I read about him and watch video, the more I like Devin Vassell.  Especially if(OK, when) the Pistons drop down to the 6-9 range.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

The more I read about him and watch video, the more I like Devin Vassell.  Especially if(OK, when) the Pistons drop down to the 6-9 range.

d with no 3.  

but has the athletic profile of a modern nba player.  and as we saw with stanley, if you cant compete athletically at the rim (and cant shoot), youre not a modern nba player.

i'd rather have somebody who can create, but there may not be too many of those in this draft.

3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

d with no 3.  

but has the athletic profile of a modern nba player.  and as we saw with stanley, if you cant compete athletically at the rim (and cant shoot), youre not a modern nba player.

i'd rather have somebody who can create, but there may not be too many of those in this draft.

He shot 41.9% and 41.5% from three in his two seasons at FSU.