Hart

2020 NBA Draft

23 minutes ago, Buddha said:

its not just the nba.  they have to have an agreement with the players union to end the one and done rule.  until then, they cant do anything about the jamal green's of the world being drafted.

so until the union decides to open the rules and let all comers into their guild, the blame does not fall exclusively on league management.

It is 100% the NBA.  The union is simply using it as a bargaining chip.  If the NBA really wanted it they would give in to a few other demands and get it.  

8 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

It is 100% the NBA.  The union is simply using it as a bargaining chip.  If the NBA really wanted it they would give in to a few other demands and get it.  

then why doesnt the union just give in to a few other demands and get it?

you think the union really wants more competition for jobs without a corresponding increase in roster spots?

46 minutes ago, Buddha said:

then why doesnt the union just give in to a few other demands and get it?

you think the union really wants more competition for jobs without a corresponding increase in roster spots?

I'm guessing you typed that wrong.  It makes zero sense for the union to give in + give up on one and done.  

The players generally support ending one and done and I imagine if they ever seriously approached Silver he would balk at the idea.  

23 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I'm guessing you typed that wrong.  It makes zero sense for the union to give in + give up on one and done.  

The players generally support ending one and done and I imagine if they ever seriously approached Silver he would balk at the idea.  

the nba has already proposed to get rid of it and the union has not responded.  so im guess you typed that wrong.

they union has made noise in the public about getting rid of it but havent responded to the proposal.  why?  because its a collectively bargained topic and theyre probably going to ask for concessions from the nba before they agree to it.

so all your "the league could just do it if they wanted to" stuff is incorrect.

also, if you follow collective bargaining between unions and management - which im sure you do - you obviously know that unions all over restrict membership for all sorts of reasons, the main one being to protect the incomes of those already in the union.

if kevin durant or chris paul or steph curry or lebron james say "its not fair", thats one thing.  those guys are established great players who have gotten paid and will continue to get paid.  its the 27 year old guys fighting for the last spot on the bench that get ****** by an 18 year old coming in and taking their job.  what do they say?  the union needs to represent all its members, not just the rich ones.

the league has an interest in having college basketball train its next level of players without nba teams paying for it.  if it can set up a developmental league and pay relatively low amounts of labor costs and/or set up tv and marketing deals whereby they make some money off the 18 year olds, then they'll do that.

i suspect the nba is at the point where they feel they can make some money off a developmental team.

neither the players union nor the owners do things for the general good of people not in the league or in the union.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

they union has made noise in the public about getting rid of it but havent responded to the proposal.  why?  because its a collectively bargained topic and theyre probably going to ask for concessions from the nba before they agree to it.

It's a different argument than it was in 2005 though. The players have never all agreed on the issue one way or the other but IIRC the players assoc was in general opposed to adding the 19yr old minimum 2005 because they sided with the right of young guys to come to the league if they were able. It appears that the league's strategy now is to draft guys at 18 but send most of them to the D league. That still doesn't get them NBA money, which might be why the proposal hasn't  appealled so much to the kind of player thinking that supported 18 yr old  eligibility last time it was argued.

I don't really see why the union would care if they got rid of rid of the one and done.  How does it really effect the current players?  Whether a first round pick is used on a guy straight out of high school or a guy a year removed from high school does it really matter to current players, the same number of players are getting drafted regardless.    If anything you would think they should be for it cause it allows players to start younger and make more money in their careers.  

Just want to add depending on how much the players actually make I think it still may be in their best interest to play a year in the NCAA and get the massive exposure that it provides.  If you're "only" making a 100K or whatever going the G league route you could easily make that up building your brand by playing in front of millions of TV viewers every week in the NCAA.     I think you're far more likely to make more money initially in endorsements if you come into the league after starring at say a Duke or Kentucky vs. a league that only the most die hard fans even pay attention to.  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Just want to add depending on how much the players actually make I think it still may be in their best interest to play a year in the NCAA and get the massive exposure that it provides.  If you're "only" making a 100K or whatever going the G league route you could easily make that up building your brand by playing in front of millions of TV viewers every week in the NCAA.     I think you're far more likely to make more money initially in endorsements if you come into the league after starring at say a Duke or Kentucky vs. a league that only the most die hard fans even pay attention to.  

come on randy, the players make more than 100k in college right now if theyre 5 star kids.  thats why the nba had to up the amount theyre paying these kids to 500k to compete with the dukes and kentuckys of the world.

3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

come on randy, the players make more than 100k in college right now if theyre 5 star kids.  thats why the nba had to up the amount theyre paying these kids to 500k to compete with the dukes and kentuckys of the world.

I'm sure you're right,  I was just trying to give the NCAA the benefit of the doubt here but either way it doesn't change my point.   I think they would be sacrificing potential long term income if they choose to skip the NCAA just so they can make a little more that year to play elsewhere.

For example when they got drafted Trae Young got a 2 million dollar year shoe contract, Luka didn't get offered one until after he had his great rookie year.   Trae got that deal cause of the following he built off of his year in college.    

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm sure you're right,  I was just trying to give the NCAA the benefit of the doubt here but either way it doesn't change my point.   I think they would be sacrificing potential long term income if they choose to skip the NCAA just so they can make a little more that year to play elsewhere.

For example when they got drafted Trae Young got a 2 million dollar year shoe contract, Luka didn't get offered one until after he had his great rookie year.   Trae got that deal cause of the following he built off of his year in college.    

i think they have deals with the shoe companies already in place for the kids going to the new league.  and they must assume they will be getting media attention too.

34 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Highly disappointing.  For the teams that don't get into the playoffs, the draft lottery is just as important to their franchise as the playoffs are to the other half.  Yet the NBA is changing the rules for the playoffs to accommodate this odd situation (ratings, of course) but not doing anything different for the other half of the league who doesn't get a chance to get their proper draft odds.

All teams who didn't get invited to Orlando should get equal lottery odds.  The only fair thing is to flatten it.  That, or just invite all 30 teams and finish the season.

The Pistons lottery odds for each possible slot they can land in.  They are the 5th seed.  Can pick anywhere from first to ninth.  

Seed Chances 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th 12th 13th 14th
1 140 .14 .134173189 .127486524 .119720474 .478619813 - - - - - - - - -
2 140 .14 .134173189 .127486524 .119720474 .278393796 .200226017 - - - - - - - -
3 140 .14 .134173189 .127486524 .119720474 .148385792 .260016008 .070218013 - - - - - - -
4 125 .125 .122289184 .118908682 .114620847 .072434116 .257408144 .167431573 .021907454 - - - - - -
5 105 .105 .105404479 .105554544 .105280805 .022166482 .196105398 .267446506 .086844691 .006197095 - - - - -

Just our luck.  One of the least interesting drafts in years and we get an extra 4 months to talk about it.

Even before covid19 I think this is the least hyped draft since the Anthony Bennett one. Of course that one produced Giannis so maybe we'll get lucky.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Today is the closest that Emoni Bates will ever come to playing at MSU.  

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Today is the closest that Emoni Bates will ever come to playing at MSU.  

Not much choice if he decides to reclassify.  Unless he goes overseas.  

10 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Not much choice if he decides to reclassify.  Unless he goes overseas.  

His path appears set.  Play next year on his Dad’s Nike funded fake high school program,  join the G-league pathway the following season while signing the largest deal that Nike has ever given out to a new player, go on become the #1 overall pick by the Detroit Pistons in the 2022 draft.