Hart

2020 NBA Draft

Curious to what people's thoughts are about the guys projected to go in the top 10.  Not a whole lot there that excites me.  Feels like a weaker draft at the top to me...at least at this point.  

I haven't done a ton of thorough research but from what I can gather there's nobody that really stands out from the crowd either.

I think Ball has the most skills and playmaking ability but of course he can't shoot but unfortunately from what I have seen neither can any of the potential top guys.

I think the guy that may have the highest ceiling is Edwards from Georgia cause he was atleast known as a decent shooter coming into the season.  Maybe his percentages have dropped due to poor shot selection and/or being forced into tough shots cause of inferior teammates.   

22 hours ago, Hart said:

Curious to what people's thoughts are about the guys projected to go in the top 10.  Not a whole lot there that excites me.  Feels like a weaker draft at the top to me...at least at this point.  

It's weak at the very top compared to most other drafts, Edwards, Wiseman and Ball all have lots of question marks compared to most players who are #1 contenders but I think the 2nd tier is pretty standard compared to other drafts and probably a little better than last years' weak 2nd tier. I know everybody is focused on point guard but Obi Toppin is a guy I'm keeping my eye on. Crazy athleticism for a big guy and he shoots well from the perimeter, seems like a high character guy too.

The knock on him is that his perceived upside isn't quite as high as some of the other guys slated to go in the top 5 but any big with that level of athleticism and ability to stretch the floor has a lot of upside IMO. I guess another knock is that he's a little too similar to Wood but he's a better ball handler based on what I've seen and puts in more effort defensively.

This is the first time I have ever heard of him.  But I'm all in on Precious Achiuwa.  

Some top prospects are playing today in conference tournaments.

Anthony Edwards, Tyrese Haliburton, Cole Anthony.  

I think they are all on TV.  Might have to use the ESPN app though.  

First time in a long time I will actually be interested in watching the top college talent, knowing the Pistons have a shot at drafting them.

16 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I thought Haliburton was out for the season. 

He might be since I don't watch CBB.  I just took the prospect list and matched it to the schedule.  

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

He might be since I don't watch CBB.  I just took the prospect list and matched it to the schedule.  

Gotcha.  He injured his list several weeks back and was shelved for the season.

30 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Gotcha.  He injured his list several weeks back and was shelved for the season.

nobody like pulling a list.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

nobody like pulling a list.

Damn autocorrect on my phone. Luckily it was just his wrist that he hurt, pulling his list would be a lot more serious obviously.

• Like 1

With the announcement that the tournament is going to be played with no fans in attendance it'll give the Pistons a chance to see how potential picks handle LCA's environment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since teams have played different amounts of games will they use win% or games behind to determine draft order?

Win% the Pistons will be in the 5 spot for the lottery.

Using games behind they would be tied with Minnesota and have a coin flip to determine who picks 4th and 5th.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Since teams have played different amounts of games will they use win% or games behind to determine draft order?

Win% the Pistons will be in the 5 spot for the lottery.

Using games behind they would be tied with Minnesota and have a coin flip to determine who picks 4th and 5th.

Pretty sure they'll use %. Bummer because they were hi prob to end 2nd worst. With their luck a couple teams will get into the top 3 and Det will pick 7th. My name is Debbie Downer

Yeah they were definitely firing on all cylinders when it came to tanking so I have no doubt that they would've finished in the top 3.  

I hadn't heard of Hayes until recently.  I am intrigued by him from what I watched on the internet and read about him.  

Ball's passing skills are fun but I just really think the other stuff is going to hold him back from really being an impact player.  

On 3/10/2020 at 3:22 PM, RandyMarsh said:

I haven't done a ton of thorough research but from what I can gather there's nobody that really stands out from the crowd either.

I think Ball has the most skills and playmaking ability but of course he can't shoot but unfortunately from what I have seen neither can any of the potential top guys.

I think the guy that may have the highest ceiling is Edwards from Georgia cause he was atleast known as a decent shooter coming into the season.  Maybe his percentages have dropped due to poor shot selection and/or being forced into tough shots cause of inferior teammates.   

To your point on Edwards, with nobody else standing out, I think if you have the first pick, he is the only logical choice.  At least as of right now.  He seems like the one guy available who you can see has franchise player potential.  Maybe the chances of reaching it aren't that great but it's at least evident it is there.  

• Like 1

I'll also say I think Haliburton is a fairly safe pick for some team.  His shot may not look pretty but it works for him.  I know people are comparing him to Lonzo Ball and I think that is a fair comparison.  Ball appears to be turning into a good starter and I think Haliburton will as well.  

The 2016 Chino Hills High School team went 35-0 and won the California State title and the USA Today National title.   Lonzo, LaMelo, and Okongwu will end up being high lottery picks from that team.   Incredible for any school but even more so for a public school in the suburbs without any prior basketball history.   

1 hour ago, Hart said:

I hadn't heard of Hayes until recently.  I am intrigued by him from what I watched on the internet and read about him.  

Ball's passing skills are fun but I just really think the other stuff is going to hold him back from really being an impact player.  

Here is my problem with Hayes.  He plays in two different leagues and both are garbage.

Bundesliga is the top German league, but overall it is pretty bad and he plays on one of the worst teams.  The second league he plays in is Eurocup, which is better but still not great.  Eurocup might rank ahead of the NCAA but still behind the G-League.  And I'm not sure the G-League is even considered a top 5 league in the world.

Everyone is going to be hunting for European stars because of Luka Doncic, and I get that.  But people need to understand where Luka played before the NBA.  His club team was Real Madrid and they play in the Liga ACB which is Spains top league.  It is the best domestic league in Europe and probably the second best domestic league in the world after the NBA.  

The second league Luka played in was Euroleague.  It is considered the second best league in the world behind the NBA.  It is made up of club teams from all of Europe and you have to qualify to make and stay in the league.  

Here is the other thing about Luka.  He dominated both leagues.  Rising star awards, Best Young Player awards, regular season MVP awards, finals MVP awards, all league first team awards.   He dominated the best of the best in Europe.

Being on a bad team in two bad leagues doesn't disqualify Hayes from being good.  It just makes it a lot harder to evaluate him.

What a mess.

The last few months before the draft usually results in a ton of movement in the rankings.  A lot of kids who could have moved up aren't going to get that chance and NBA teams are going to be gambling more in this draft due to their being less information and no tournament.

Pistons finally get on the right track to reboot the franchise and this is the worst possible year I can ever recall for it to happen.  Not only will they not the get the high pick they should have due to an incomplete season, the draft is going to require an even better crystal ball than usual.