Keepleyland2

3/9 @1:05 Detroit Tigers @ Houston Astros

Spring Training Game 17

photos.medleyphoto.9721747.jpg

State  of the Series: Georgia

Tigers Record: 8-5-2

Baseball teams in Georgia: Atlanta Braves, Macon Bacon, Atlanta Cracker, Gwinnett Stripers, Savannah Bananas

Random fact:  If Ty Cobb kept his Coca-Cola shares in his family after his death today they'd be worth over $2 billion

“After Cobb retired in 1928, he made a salmon-fishing trip to Idaho and discovered Twin Falls. In the years that followed, he returned several times and eventually built the city's first soft-drink bottling plant. Then he hired his second-oldest son, Herschel, to help run it.”

https://magicvalley.com/news/local/twin-falls/ty-cobb-s-twin-falls-ties/article_81eb0ff9-fd96-52a4-9de7-f0fe945ef789.html

Without question, Cobb has one of the most interesting biographies of any player to ever play the game, on or off the field. He will always be my favorite Tiger. I wish he would have retired before playing with another organization.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

He should have been banned for his knowledge of the 1919 WS fix.

Discuss.

I wouldn't ban him for Knowledge of the scandal.  However. he was allegedly involved in a scandal separate from the World Series where he may have bet on games.  The rules and punishments were not clear cut back then, so I still don't know that I'd ban him.  

He bet on the series and there is a decent amount of evidence to suggest he knew it wasn't on the level and that is precisely why he bet on the Reds.

Comiskey was aware he had players that were allegedly trying to throw the series and did nothing to stop it. This was HIS team we’re talking about. Should he be banned?

In my younger years I cherished Cobb. One of my first expensive card purchases was a t206 red background portrait. Later I read of how racist and almost anti-social he could be. As I matured (someday I hope to get there) I began seeing ball players as human and not heroes. Except Al Kaline. He's still a hero

29 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Comiskey was aware he had players that were allegedly trying to throw the series and did nothing to stop it. This was HIS team we’re talking about. Should he be banned?

Yes he should, in my opinion.

Comisky also paid his players **** even though they generated more revenue than any other AL team.  It obviously doesn't make what they did right, but had he paid them a fairer wage it is possible they don't take money to take the fall.

2 hours ago, leflore said:

In my younger years I cherished Cobb. One of my first expensive card purchases was a t206 red background portrait. Later I read of how racist and almost anti-social he could be. As I matured (someday I hope to get there) I began seeing ball players as human and not heroes. Except Al Kaline. He's still a hero

He wasn't really racist. 

The Astros are handing out boxes of sanitizer tissues to opposing teams this spring as a gesture of kindness in apology for the way they used to behave.

44497623-B204-4712-B9F9-D1BA7EADC6EE.thumb.jpeg.a35f5d2aa25331eacdd8e34a25811ea3.jpeg

22 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

He wasn't really racist. 

Probably no more so than most people at that time.  He was nasty (at times) to a lot of people regardless of race.  

Verlander out. He said it would take a miracle for his lat strain to heal by opening day. Similar to the injury he had in 2015. 

The Astros announcers are saying that Verlander's injury is a mild lat strain.  While I don't wish JV any ill will, though I've lost a ton of respect for him during this fiasco, I also don't have problem with the Astros losing him and Cole, for at least part of this season.

32 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Probably no more so than most people at that time.  He was nasty (at times) to a lot of people regardless of race.  

Yeah, a good book on Cobb is "Ty Cobb A Terrible Beauty" by Charles Leerhsen.  It gives a good account of Cobbs nastiness, but also tells how much of what was said about him in his "autobiography" where most of the racist impression of him is based on was completely untrue and wasn't an "auto" biography at all.  

good outings by McKay and B Garcia again. Skubal's numbers a little more human today.

If the league needs any more evidence that the Astros are still cheating look no further than the fact that they scored a run off of Cy Skubal. 

@ChrisBrown0914 on twitter is referring to Skubal strikeouts as Skubie snacks.  

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

The guy who slept on his eye wrong?

36 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It would be so nice to see some highly effective young Tiger pitchers this season. Pitching and defense can take you a long way.