Keepleyland2

3/8 @1:05 Detroit Tigers at Washington Nationals

Spring Training Game 17

2005-Topps-Washington-Nationals-first-ga

State  of the Series: Virginia

Tigers Record: 7-7-2

Nationals connection to Virginia:  They play their home games there

MLB players from to Virginia: David Wright, Billy Nash, MIchael Cuddyer, Jackie Bradlye Jr. Al Holland, Todd Hundley, Bill M0ran, Wayne Gomes

• Like 1

There is a God. Zimmerman is pitching but there’s no Tigers feed for either radio or TV. I find it almost impossible to listen to another teams coverage and all there is is Washington radio.   

Lol, Zimm is probably top 10 all-time worst mlb contracts. He's a good guy and I'm guessing he feels bad about it too. But the injuries have rendered him terrible 

Listening to the national's radio broadcast and they have noted "every  fly ball to Stewart has been an adventure ". I wonder how stubborn the Tiger's brass will be trying to convince themselves Stewart can actually play the field.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Zimm pitched 4 innings with no runs 1 hit 2BB no K’s. 

So he's earned at least 25 starts with an era of 7 based on today's performance.

Then somehow he'll pull an Anibal Sanchez and perform well for someone next season for 1.1 mil

1 hour ago, socaltiger said:

Listening to the national's radio broadcast and they have noted "every  fly ball to Stewart has been an adventure ". I wonder how stubborn the Tiger's brass will be trying to convince themselves Stewart can actually play the field.

They keep harping on the matra that this is the year guys have to 'show up'.  Stewart will be the test of how serious they are about that. But in Stewarts  case its no big deal anyway - he has options left. If he does nothing this spring but they still retain hope in his future they can send him down. 3B is the call with the higher possibility of them guessing wrong and getting burned.

And if Demeritte keeps knocking the ball out the part, Stewart is losing his job for sure. With Demeritte the 4 OF spots would be Travis, Maybin, Reyes and Jones.

20 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

They keep harping on the matra that this is the year guys have to 'show up'.  Stewart will be the test of how serious they are about that. But in Stewarts  case its no big deal anyway - he has options left. If he does nothing this spring but they still retain hope in his future they can send him down. 3B is the call with the higher possibility of them guessing wrong and getting burned.

And if Demeritte keeps knocking the ball out the part, Stewart is losing his job for sure. With Demeritte the 4 OF spots would be Travis, Maybin, Reyes and Jones.

I predict they all make the cut with Jones on the DL

6 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

I predict they all make the cut with Jones on the DL

yeah - what is going on with him? I thought it was just a d-t-d with a sore calf.

35 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I bet Gardy is telling Al that Mercer is the best 3B and both Lugo and candy stink but Al probably wants to keep both to support his trades.

19 minutes ago, socaltiger said:

What about Stokes ? He' only 24.

I think all the OFs on a bubble have options left, so the problem is not so must risk of losing anyone as where do you put them all? We have more guys in camp than can fit in at AAA, AA and A+ 

1 hour ago, socaltiger said:

I bet Gardy is telling Al that Mercer is the best 3B and both Lugo and candy stink but Al probably wants to keep both to support his trades.

Mercer is 32 but has kept in good shape - he might be able to give them 2 or more yrs at 3B. 

When Jeimer won his winter ball MVP, there were some impressive numbers quoted in the story, but that must just have been playoff numbers because looking at it now, it says he hit 244 with a 770 OPS in 100 PA. Not exactly numbers to write home about for what is ~ minor league baseball.

It all depends on whether they are done playing for high draft picks. If they are you put the best player in the spot and don't worry about whether Lugo or Candelario eventually makes a career somewhere else.