Keepleyland2

3/3 @1:05 Detroit Tigers @ Minnesota Twins

Spring Training Game 13

47ZD5OEC65AQFGVS7IJDS5RHPM.jpg

State  of the Series: Connecticut 

Tigers Record: 5-4-2

Tigers Record in Connecticut: never played

Tigers connection to Connecticut: Home of our Short season team the Norwitch Sea Unicorns

Tigers players from Connecticut:  Brad Ausmus, Dick McAuliffe, Matty McIntyre, Rajai Davis, Carl Pavano (almost)

Carl Pavano.  There's a trip down memory lane.  I remember Kaline taking him for a golf cart tour of the high end course that Kaline belongs to.

On The television? I’ll have to pick up some extra aluminum foil to boost my antenna so I can reel in that signal. 

0D41C714-1D4E-4C46-86ED-567E805457A8.png.d351b308b532cbbdb65163b1ba0ab73f.png

20 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

On The television? I’ll have to pick up some extra aluminum foil to boost my antenna so I can reel in that signal. 

0D41C714-1D4E-4C46-86ED-567E805457A8.png.d351b308b532cbbdb65163b1ba0ab73f.png

I am probably right on the cusp of ages to recall doing that.

8 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I am probably right on the cusp of ages to recall doing that.

We actually had one of those big antennas on top of the house. But when I left home, yeah, my low rent roommates and I did stuff like that unless we lived in a town that had that cheap Cable that was hooked up to a phone jack in the wall. 

13 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

We actually had one of those big antennas on top of the house. But when I left home, yeah, my low rent roommates and I did stuff like that unless we lived in a town that had that cheap Cable that was hooked up to a phone jack in the wall. 

The "Alliance 'TennaRotor". Who can forget such a technological breakthrough? Brought to you by the best minds of American Science, the Western World was never the same after you could swing your antenna from station to station from the comfort of your living room divan. Plus the added excitement of that vague hint of the possibility of electrocution each time you had to reach under it and push the little metal plate to re-calibrate it!

Vintage Alliance Tenna Rotor U-83 Antenna Rotator Ham CB TV FM Amateur

10 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

We did as well.  The big controller that would turn the antenna was hooked up in our front room.  I was around 4-5 or so maybe when something happened to it and it stopped working...my dad never fixed it and the antennae sat up there pretty much the whole time we lived there.

I am not going to say something like "ahhh simpler times" because I feel like people say that in terms of what society was back then...minus the addition of tech.... society is the same, but we HAVE changed...and the sweet memories we recall are things like:

no bills

summers off

and the biggest one IMO true friendship that asks for nothing in return other than trying to have fun with each other

4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The "Alliance 'TennaRotor". Who can forget such a technological breakthrough? Brought to you by the best minds of American Science, the Western World was never the same after you could swing your antenna from station to station from the comfort of your living room divan. Plus the added excitement of that vague hint of the possibility of electrocution each time you had to reach under it and push the little metal plate to re-calibrate it!

Vintage Alliance Tenna Rotor U-83 Antenna Rotator Ham CB TV FM Amateur

Ours was more like this one:

ec1546618ae7cb3451524ebeab36d532.jpg

But it was white and a little bigger IIRC.

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

This one is on the television.  FSD.

My parents will be there. First spring training game for the new snow birds.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Ours was more like this one:

ec1546618ae7cb3451524ebeab36d532.jpg

But it was white and a little bigger IIRC.

My grandparents had something like this.  Turn the dial (the white line) to where you wanted it, and the antenna (red ball) would move slowly to catch up to it.

5 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

My parents will be there. First spring training game for the new snow birds.

Only the first?  Oh man...

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

My grandparents had something like this.  Turn the dial (the white line) to where you wanted it, and the antenna (red ball) would move slowly to catch up to it.

I vaguely recall messing with it as a kid.  In fact I am probably the reason it broke now that I think about it.

4 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Only the first?  Oh man...

They are pretty far from Lakeland, so they had to wait for the Tigers to come to them.

4 hours ago, Casimir said:

This one is on the television.  FSD.

Not for us Dish customers.................sigh

The antenna tuners were probably the forerunners to the first cable boxes. The ones you could jury rig to pic up premium channels, especially Cinemax and the Playboy channels 

Some of just just settled for the breast exams on the community access channels.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

I'll be the first

Dude on the left is a fireplug!

Dude in the center has a world class cookie duster.

On AtBat I can only get the twins radio broadcast not the Tigers broadcast. This is weird.

Casey Mize is Tigers’ scheduled starter for Thursday vs. Yankees at Joker Marchant Stadium. Gerrit Cole is scheduled starter for Yankees. Game is on Fox. 

20 posts in a spring training game thread? Must be a **** of a game, right?

Nope.  A bunch of old guys sharing tee-vee    antenna stories

• Like 1

I guess this is one of those rare games where there’s no radio broadcast although there is a TV broadcast. I was worried Jim Price had died or something.

When are the Twins going to put in some crappy guys that we can actually hit?