Sign in to follow this  
Casimir

03/04/2020 7:00 EST Oklahoma City Thunder vs Detroit Pistons

12 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I don't blame them for not being able to move Griffin, the fault of that lies with SVG. I'm just saying that you're not rebuilding when your two best players are 30+ year olds. Rose is not just a locker room presence, he's a legit player in this league when healthy so I doubt they kept him on simply to be a leader. He'll be a prominent player on this team next season in all likelihood.

Also, to be quite honest, the main reason why they're rebuilding this season is because Griffin got injured. If he was healthy and even remotely close to what he was last year, we're probably not having this conversation right now. We'd be debating whether or not they get crushed by Milwaukee or whoever finishes 2nd.

The reason behind the rebuild is true - the team fell apart due to injury. But they are here now, and the rebuild is here. 

Also, in terms of not being in a rebuild if your best players are veterans, that is a weird line to draw as most young teams in the beginning of their rebuild are in that boat. 

8 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

The reason behind the rebuild is true - the team fell apart due to injury. But they are here now, and the rebuild is here. 

Also, in terms of not being in a rebuild if your best players are veterans, that is a weird line to draw as most young teams in the beginnign of their rebuild are in that boat. 

I'm not so sure about that. It seems to me that most rebuilding teams are led by their youth. The Pistons are a unique situation because they had a crap ton of big contracts to get through so this was never going to be a quick fix.

I think long term they have a full scale rebuild in mind but it's going to be difficult to do that in the short term past this season.

1 minute ago, NYLion said:

I'm not so sure about that. It seems to me that most rebuilding teams are led by their youth. The Pistons are a unique situation because they had a crap ton of big contracts to get through so this was never going to be a quick fix.

I think long term they have a full scale rebuild in mind but it's going to be difficult to do that in the short term past this season.

They are at the start of the rebuild. Who do you want their best player to be? 

Derrick Rose is probably a good indicator of how the Pistons feel about their rebuild.  They really have no choice but to keep Griffin. But they could have traded Rose at the deadline or they could trade him this summer.  If they hold him till the start of next season, I think it is a pretty good bet that they plan on competing for the playoffs next year.  

• Thanks 1

You know fellas, they can still trade Rose in the offseason.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Buddha said:

You know fellas, they can still trade Rose in the offseason.

It is in the best interest of the Pistons to rebuild.  This would include getting their older and expensive assets into a situation were their value is at a maximum to trade for.  It doesn't mean that they will be traded.  But they surely aren't going to trade a broken down Rose or Griffin.  They might not get dealt at all, or it might take until they are expiring contracts to move them.  In the meantime, they need to keep theses assets in the best condition possible.