Motor City Sonics

March 2020 Regular Season Game Thread

Maybe the NHL could resume the season with all the games played at the Florida Panthers' arena without fans.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'd say Pheonix and then you wouldn't need a without fans qualifier.

That's where I was going with Florida Panthers. But yeah, Phoenix even more applicable.

1997 finals have been on fsd this week.

that's probably my favorite detroit championship of them all.  after 1996 it felt like they would never win it.

I remember my co-workers saying how they had to break the team up after the '96 play-offs and the Avs were going to be a dynasty.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

1997 finals have been on fsd this week.

that's probably my favorite detroit championship of them all.  after 1996 it felt like they would never win it.

I was working with a team in Colorado that Spring and made several trips out to the Denver area -- giving all those guys grief made it extra special. :D

On 4/13/2020 at 8:24 AM, Gehringer_2 said:

I was working with a team in Colorado that Spring and made several trips out to the Denver area -- giving all those guys grief made it extra special. :D

I had a business trip to Denver in the spring of 1999. Went to a ball game at Coors Field and on the same trip attended Game 2 of a 2nd round Avs-Wings series. Which was my first game at McNichols Arena since attending an Atlanta Flames at Colorado Rockies game in October 1976. The defending back-to-back Cup champion Wings beat the Avs handily in that game, never would have guessed the Wings would lose the next 4 straight.

Was watching Game 7 of the Blues series from 1996 on Canadian TV last night.  I was reminded that earlier the Wings had won Game 2 of that series 8-3 at the Joe to go up 2-0 and took a 3rd period lead in Game 3.  Never would have guessed the Wings would come so close to losing that series.   If the Wings had won Game 3 when it went to OT, they likely would have won the series in 4 or 5 games and, who knows, may have been better prepared and more rested before facing Colorado that year.

as much as i look back so fondly on those red wings teams, in hindsight they look like real underachievers for only winning four cups.

i know that sounds peevish, but getting upset so many times in that run by inferior teams really is startling.

if anything, the 97 cup winners was the most satisfying win because 1) it broke the curse; and 2) it was a surprise to everyone after what had happened the previous year and that philly was such a big favorite.

looking back on those teams, the forwards appear so fast and the defense appears so old and slow (other than lidstrom).  but man, those forwards could move.

NHL playoffs are really random.

Probably 4-6 teams have a 10+% chance to win it all and nobody has a 25% chance or better most post-seasons.

44 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

NHL playoffs are really random.

Probably 4-6 teams have a 10+% chance to win it all and nobody has a 25% chance or better most post-seasons.

sure.  but the islanders won 4 straight.  the oilers dominated and didnt lose in round one like the wings did.

How about this future alignment.........

Can-Am Division
Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto

Nor'East Division
Boston, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers

Atlantic Division
Columbus, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington

South Division
Carolina, Florida, Nashville, Tampa Bay

Great Lakes Division
Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, St. Louis

Provincial Division
Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg

West Division
Arizona, Colorado, Dallas, Vegas

Pacific Division
Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Seattle Kraken

The top 2 from each division make the playoffs.   First round of the playoffs 1 vs. 2 in each division play.  After the first round the teams are seeded 1-8 and reseeded every single round.   No more automatic East-West setup........nobody cares about that anymore.   (NBA should ditch the East/West thing too).   

Don't know,  just bored tonight. 

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

sure.  but the islanders won 4 straight.  the oilers dominated and didnt lose in round one like the wings did.

And the Canadiens took 4 out of 5 before the Islanders.

The league became much more balanced once Wayne got traded from Edmonton.

Not saying that caused it, just there have been no dynasties like that since his trade 30 odd years ago.

If regular season success translated into Cups, I'd say a "fair" number of Cups for the Wings in the period between, say, 1994-2013 would have been around 5.  Looking at the past 15-20 years, the Capitals should have another Cup, the Sharks should have one, and probably the Canucks. On the flip side, the Hawks' 3 Cups is an over-representation and even moreso is the Kings' 2.

In MLB looking at the past 15-20 years, the Dodgers should have won at least one World Series. More borderline is the Tigers, but 1 probably would have been fair for them. On the flip side, the Red Sox' 4 title, especially the Giants' 3 and also the Royals' 1 are all over-representations.

Fewer egregious examples this century in the NFL, IMO.  The Patriots' total titles seem about right. The Giants won one too many.  The Saints, Eagles and Seahawks all got the 1 and only 1 title they deserved, although in each of those cases it's debatable at best that the year they actually won it was the best team that the franchise fielded in this era.