Motor City Sonics

March 2020 Regular Season Game Thread

They don't need to do a lottery either.

7 minutes ago, kdog said:

They don't need to do a lottery either.

Got that right... we earned that #1...

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.email.hockeytown.com%2FEloquaImages%2Fclients%2FOlympiaEntertainmentInc%2F%257B5735a7d7-9ffb-4c2e-8c03-161b609f7c85%257D_EmialHeader_Season_Tickets.jpg&t=1584113617&ymreqid=ab341f0f-480b-55c3-1c90-c80001011700&sig=bsUpvphwHisrhQ.k391OXQ--~C
A Note to Our Red Wings Fans About COVID-19

Incredible games aren’t created without the amazing enthusiasm and excitement of you, our loyal Red Wings fans. It’s your inspired energy that fills our arena to transform any game into one of those unforgettable, once-in-a-lifetime moments. Much like you, we have been continually monitoring the impact of COVID-19 (coronavirus), not only here in the great state of Michigan and across the country, but around the world.

We know that the fluid nature of this situation has led to concerns and questions about the status of events scheduled to be hosted at our arena, and understandably so. We support the decision made by the National Hockey League to pause the season in the best interest of public health and safety. These are clearly decisions that have a tremendous impact on our colleagues, fans, guests, players, vendors and community, and we do not take this lightly. 

We are diligently working with the NHL on plans for the remainder of the season. We will be sure to share updates with you as details become available. For now, we encourage you to hold on to your tickets as we will be providing updates regarding rescheduled games in the near future.

We remain flexible as new information becomes available and new preventative measures are established. We encourage our patrons to follow best practices as provided by the CDC and to stay home if they are showing any signs of illness.

We understand that this is a difficult time, and the news surrounding this virus is evolving. We are committed to the safety of you and the community and we will continue to provide updates as soon as they become available.

Sincerely,

The Detroit Red Wings

went back and re-watched game 4 of the 1998 cup final.  boy, that was a really good team.

even with anders erikson, jaime maccoun, the player formerly known as slava fetisov, and larry pylon murphy in defense.  helps to have so many good defensive forwards (and some guy named lidstrom).

scotty did like his defensemen old and in the right place.

7 hours ago, Buddha said:

went back and re-watched game 4 of the 1998 cup final.  boy, that was a really good team.

even with anders erikson, jaime maccoun, the player formerly known as slava fetisov, and larry pylon murphy in defense.  helps to have so many good defensive forwards (and some guy named lidstrom).

scotty did like his defensemen old and in the right place.

So much talent on that team that was still relatively young. For example: Lapointe 24, Holmstrom 25, Kovlov 25, Fedorov 28, Draper 26,  Lidstrom 27,  Maltby 25, McCarty 25, Osgood 25.

58 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

So much talent on that team that was still relatively young. For example: Lapointe 24, Holmstrom 25, Kovlov 25, Fedorov 28, Draper 26,  Lidstrom 27,  Maltby 25, McCarty 25, Osgood 25.

What is the best Red Wing team of all time?  97?

96 was the most dominant Wings team I saw.  And got knocked out of the playoffs.

97 was actually one of the weaker regular season teams in the 1990-2010 time frame and won the cup.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

loved seeing two goalies moving around their own end,  handling the puck. Really would like to see the trapezoid go away.

12 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

96 was the most dominant Wings team I saw.  And got knocked out of the playoffs.

97 was actually one of the weaker regular season teams in the 1990-2010 time frame and won the cup.

Agreed.  I'd rank the 1996 team 1st, the 2008 team 2nd.

The 2006 Red Wings had 124 points and won the President's Trophy for #1 overall in the NHL by 11 points. Yet got knocked out in the 1t round by Edmonton.

22 hours ago, Buddha said:

went back and re-watched game 4 of the 1998 cup final. 

Now watch the Game 4 highlights in Portugese.

3:12, 4:30, 6:05 - Gooooooaaaaaaal!

On 3/15/2020 at 8:55 AM, lordstanley said:

Agreed.  I'd rank the 1996 team 1st, the 2008 team 2nd.

The 2006 Red Wings had 124 points and won the President's Trophy for #1 overall in the NHL by 11 points. Yet got knocked out in the 1t round by Edmonton.

Eff Dwayne Roloson!

23 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Eff Dwayne Roloson!

Game 6 was on Canada's tax filing deadline. I finally finished my taxes around 9pm Vancouver time and with 5 minutes left to go in regulation I was confident the Wings would hang on to the lead. Walked 3 blocks to the tax office, came back and the Wings had given up the tying and winning goals.

On 3/14/2020 at 11:32 AM, lordstanley said:

But what would be 20% off of worthless?

tp shortage.jpg

Hockey fans are the best! 

Desperate for replacement programming, the other night Canada's Sportsnet replayed the "2017 Centennial Classic between the Maple Leafs and Red Wings at BMO Field in Toronto". I have absolutely no recollection of that game. The Wings-Leafs played outdoors in Toronto? Apparently the Wings tied the game with a second to go in regulation and the Leafs won it in overtime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Centennial_Classic

i dont get the obsession with hockey and basketball needing to play games outside.

23 hours ago, Buddha said:

i dont get the obsession with hockey and basketball needing to play games outside.

IDK about basketball, a hoop is a hoop. But a lot of hockey players and a lot of hockey fans in Canada and from the colder places in the US, did play pond hockey as kids, and that does have a different feel to it - a throwback aura I guess. So it is kind of fun to see the pros outside....once.

Maybe the Leafs play by play announcer can describe what to do if someone comes down with symptoms like a dry cough, sweaty palms and choking.

• Haha 1

draft pushed back indefinitely.

who cares about the season or the playoffs, but pushing back the draft?  now youve gone too far coronavirus.

I thought I posted this yesterday but I guess not. Or maybe I posted it somewhere else by mistake. Anyways, from NHL.com, a HNIC interview from 1957 with Yogi Berra and Phil Rizzuto between periods of a Habs-Bruins game.

One of the things I've been doing in quarantine is using a hockey simulator game I have to simulate the NHL in a bizarro world, starting in 1980.  Sad to say that the Wings have finished bottom of the NHL in three straight seasons since I started.  They've drafted 1 overall in three straight drafts and picked Chris Chelios, Brett Hull, and Steve Yzerman with those picks (pretty funny).  Their picks after the first round have been a bit lackluster, goalie Jon Casey is probably the biggest name I recognize but he's still in Adirondack as of the start of 1983-84 season.

The Wings actually fired their coach in the offseason before 83/84.... and hired DON CHERRY!!

• Like 1