chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

SO was at the store yesterday - said it looked normal other than disinfection products being gone.

4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

SO was at the store yesterday - said it looked normal other than disinfection products being gone.

They looked that way around here yesterday, too.

Just a hunch, but my guess is that if you work at a grocery store, drug store or home improvement store, you have plenty of hand sanitizer, toilet paper and disinfectant at home. Maybe even more than plenty.

January 22: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. It’s going to be just fine.”
February 2: “We pretty much shut it down coming in from China.”
February 24: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA… Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”
February 25: “CDC and my Administration are doing a GREAT job of handling Coronavirus.”
February 25: “I think that's a problem that’s going to go away… They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we’re very close to a vaccine.”
February 26: “The 15 (cases in the US) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero.”
February 26: “We're going very substantially down, not up.”
February 27: “One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”
February 28: “We're ordering a lot of supplies. We're ordering a lot of, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn't be ordering unless it was something like this. But we're ordering a lot of different elements of medical.”
March 2: “You take a solid flu vaccine, you don't think that could have an impact, or much of an impact, on corona?”
March 2: “A lot of things are happening, a lot of very exciting things are happening and they’re happening very rapidly.”
March 4: “If we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work — some of them go to work, but they get better.”
March 5: “I NEVER said people that are feeling sick should go to work.”
March 5: “The United States… has, as of now, only 129 cases… and 11 deaths. We are working very hard to keep these numbers as low as possible!”
March 6: “I think we’re doing a really good job in this country at keeping it down… a tremendous job at keeping it down.”
March 6: “Anybody right now, and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. They’re there. And the tests are beautiful…. the tests are all perfect like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect. Right? This was not as perfect as that but pretty good.”
March 6: “I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it… Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.”
March 6: “I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault.”
MARCH 7TH -   HE WAS GOLFING

March 8: “We have a perfectly coordinated and fine tuned plan at the White House for our attack on CoronaVirus.”
March 9: “This blindsided the world.”
Friday the 13th: Declares national state of emergency.

• Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

**** these people.

I'm sure the House Dems knew exactly what they were doing if they only rebated leave costs to small business. This is mostly Pelosi's bill after all.

54 minutes ago, chasfh said:

So, how’s everyone’s grocery shopping going today? It was not as bad as I thought it might be. All the paper and cleaning products worth a darn are gone, and more shelf stable food is quickly starting to dwindle, but if you get there soon, you should be OK. If you wait until tomorrow, though, you might be scrounging some. Both major grocery chains here said that trucks scheduled to come last night did not because the warehouses themselves are empty, and that’s because—surprise surprise—they didn’t plan ahead for this.

But I think Honey Bunny and I will be fine for a couple months, if we stretch. The diet will get monotonous and we’lll be woefully short on fresh fruit and vegetables, but if the supply chain can bounce back by, say, mid-May, we can hold out until then and be mostly fine.

I was at Sam's at 9 am when it opened, just needed to pick up a prescription and grab a box of K-cup.   It was apocalyptic .  I've never seen shelves so empty.   No canned goods (soup, vegetables, tuna, etc.)   Very little meat.  No chicken, a couple of packages of pork chops and a few ribeyes and chuck roasts, some ribs.  No potatoes.  No pasta of any type.  Forget about toilet paper, paper towels, etc.   They had recently put out some bottled water, and people were stocking up.  And they were grabbing multiple big cases of baby wipes.   I remarked to the pharmacist that I hope they weren't using them as sanitizing wipes because they wouldn't work, she laughed and said she thinks maybe they are buying them as an alternative to TP.  I've been a bulk shopper for over 20 years, so always have a full pantry and deep freeze.   Got boxed wine, coffee.  We are good.

One funny thing.  Yesterday my brother happened to be in Walmart as they were unpacking those big honking pump bottles of hand sanitizer, so he grabbed a bottle for my mom (who lives next door to me).  That stuff is the holy grail around here right now.  Told mom I'd be right over to refill the little bottle I carry in my bag.  LOL. 

I just got back from the market.  It was not bad.  The only thing I needed that they didn't have was oatmeal which I was able to find at Whole Foods (which I usually avoid because it's expensive). They had no toilet paper and few cleaning products, but they had some 409! 

079.jpg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Melody said:

And they were grabbing multiple big cases of baby wipes.   I remarked to the pharmacist that I hope they weren't using them as sanitizing wipes because they wouldn't work, she laughed and said she thinks maybe they are buying them as an alternative to TP.  

Plumbers are going to love people trying to flush baby wipes down the toilet. Especially if the have a septic tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Plumbers are going to love people trying to flush baby wipes down the toilet. Especially if the have a septic tank.

Those might cause problems for entire neighborhoods too if they clog up the city sewer pipes.  People are idiots.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Melody said:

Those might cause problems for entire neighborhoods too if they clog up the city sewer pipes.  People are idiots.

Wow. I didn't think of that. Many plumbers hate baby wipes getting flushed. Even kleenex shouldn't be flushed with a septic tank. Something about how it doesn't break down in water like TP does.

55 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I just got back from the market.  It was not bad.  The only thing I needed that they didn't have was oatmeal which I was able to find at Whole Foods (which I usually avoid because it's expensive). They had no toilet paper and few cleaning products, but they had some 409! 

079.jpg

LOL, do they think that 99.9% should be confidence inspiring? A drop of infected body fluid could contain a million bugs/cc. 99.9% kill would still leave 1000 of the little bastards behind. 

(disinfectants do work, that just strikes me as a funny way to make the claim)

Ryker update: They were going to test him for other things and if that tested positive, they were going to take them out of quarantine. The good news is that he tested positive for enterovirus/rhinovirus. Then bad news is that she was mentally prepared to get into a regular room, but they now want them to stay in isolation until they get the COVID test results. She’s depressed, mentally drained, and has barely slept at all in about 36 hours. I keep telling her to hang in there. 

His breathing has improved a little as well, so there’s progress. They’ve lowered his oxygen needed with his breathing tube. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Wow. I didn't think of that. Many plumbers hate baby wipes getting flushed. Even kleenex shouldn't be flushed with a septic tank. Something about how it doesn't break down in water like TP does.

They are more likely to clog your pipes than the city's though. Once you get out the main in the street the pipes are a lot more able to handle stuff like wipes than the line from your house to the street. So they are mostly buying trouble for themselves. 

15 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

LOL, do they think that 99.9% should be confidence inspiring? A drop of infected body fluid could contain a million bugs/cc. 99.9% kill would still leave 1000 of the little bastards behind. 

(disinfectants do work, that just strikes me as a funny way to make the claim)

People don't even understand what 99.9% means.  Never mind the rest of it!

3 hours ago, Melody said:

I was at Sam's at 9 am when it opened, just needed to pick up a prescription and grab a box of K-cup.   It was apocalyptic .  I've never seen shelves so empty.   No canned goods (soup, vegetables, tuna, etc.)   Very little meat.  No chicken, a couple of packages of pork chops and a few ribeyes and chuck roasts, some ribs.  No potatoes.  No pasta of any type.  Forget about toilet paper, paper towels, etc.   They had recently put out some bottled water, and people were stocking up.  And they were grabbing multiple big cases of baby wipes.   I remarked to the pharmacist that I hope they weren't using them as sanitizing wipes because they wouldn't work, she laughed and said she thinks maybe they are buying them as an alternative to TP.  I've been a bulk shopper for over 20 years, so always have a full pantry and deep freeze.   Got boxed wine, coffee.  We are good.

One funny thing.  Yesterday my brother happened to be in Walmart as they were unpacking those big honking pump bottles of hand sanitizer, so he grabbed a bottle for my mom (who lives next door to me).  That stuff is the holy grail around here right now.  Told mom I'd be right over to refill the little bottle I carry in my bag.  LOL. 

I would think a Sam’s or Costco would experience the most panic buying, since these are the places preppers go to stock their bunkers anyway. 😁

But seriously, folks, It does make sense that club stores do experience more pressure on these things given the nature of the stores. The grocery stores I saw in the City of Big Shoulders this morning still had a fair amount of shelf stable food available, although i would expect that to really thin out by tomorrow night. I might go to a Mariano’s tomorrow just to take pictures.

Maybe Trump believes Google will get the blame for not delivering on it.

Just now, chasfh said:

Maybe Trump believes Google will get the blame for not delivering on it.

Yeah, I just don't get it. If he would use his base, he could probably find programmers to build a web site. It doesn't sound that terribly complicated.

And testing. Where is the bottleneck? Do any companies have the capabilities to make the number of needed tests? And why didnt they start in late January, when we saw the problem coming? I know, Trump was still in denial until last week.

16 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, I just don't get it. If he would use his base, he could probably find programmers to build a web site. It doesn't sound that terribly complicated.

And testing. Where is the bottleneck? Do any companies have the capabilities to make the number of needed tests? And why didnt they start in late January, when we saw the problem coming? I know, Trump was still in denial until last week.

Just one example: QC is a problem. The SO says the STD quality control certification regime for a new medical lab diagnostic is usually 30 days of comparison testing. Well obviously that goes out the window! So you have a test, how can you know *fast* how reliable it is? You have to get a handle on both false positives and false negatives. And that is just one issue. People have to train. A lot of these tests require a certain amount of new training/technique for the operator to be reliable apart from whether the test is. Maybe a test gets developed for hardware platform a particular hospital doesn't have (there are many competing systems for diagnostics) The technology available is amazing, but it  also gets very complicated.