Jump to content

chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I have an old girl friend up in Canada.  She is married now though.  

 

From the Niagara Falls area?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

From the Niagara Falls area?

Are you suggesting there could be some kind of unfortunate accident in the falls?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Are you suggesting there could be some kind of unfortunate accident in the falls?  

Nah, it was a Breakfast Club reference.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shelton said:

I’d love to. But my mom gave up her Canadian citizenship when she became a US citizen, cutting off my path to provincial salvation. 

If your Mom was born in Canada you can apply for Canadian citizenship.

You might want to look up the exact specifics but I'm pretty sure that is correct.

:alien:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Shelton said:

I see KC has fans in the stadium for this football game. And they booed the “moment of unity.” Cool country we have here. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Team should issue a statement saying that if you booed, you shouldn't ever come back because the team does not want your support.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Ronz said:

If your Mom was born in Canada you can apply for Canadian citizenship.

You might want to look up the exact specifics but I'm pretty sure that is correct.

:alien:

 

From what I recall when I checked back in November 2016, she would have needed to be a citizen when I was born. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did she have to give up her Canadian citizenship?  Someone I know from the UK kept both..... mainly for travel reasons so he could pick the best line in customs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Did she have to give up her Canadian citizenship?  Someone I know from the UK kept both..... mainly for travel reasons so he could pick the best line in customs.

 

I know Canadian/Americans with dual citizenship as well.  Unfortunately, it doesn't give them the right to cross the border from the US to visit family during Covid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My hockey group chat is blowing up with guys *****ing about needing to wear a mask at the rink.

Freedoms are being denied, someone call a lawyer, that sort of thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Did she have to give up her Canadian citizenship?  Someone I know from the UK kept both..... mainly for travel reasons so he could pick the best line in customs.

 

I don’t know if she had to do it or not, but she did, back when she was a kid. I am almost 100% certain that is what she told me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

My hockey group chat is blowing up with guys *****ing about needing to wear a mask at the rink.

Freedoms are being denied, someone call a lawyer, that sort of thing.

they should do a change.org petition.... those are really effective..... or call Feiger or Fox 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don’t know if she had to do it or not, but she did, back when she was a kid. I am almost 100% certain that is what she told me. 

Renouncing citizenship is a separate process, as I understand it.  But if she had brothers, I suppose her parents might have done so if there was concern about possibly being forced to register for a draft in both countries.  Depends on when it was and what was going on in the world.  
Or it could be she just presumed it to be the case.  If you have a copy of her birth certificate the Canadian consulate might be able to look it up for you.  Nevertheless, the border is currently closed, even to Canadians living here.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oblong said:

they should do a change.org petition.... those are really effective..... or call Feiger or Fox 2.

Someone wrote wearing a mask around you chin or forehead would technically be wearing a mask on your head, so apparently they've figured it all out.  I'm sure they know all the ins and outs being legal scholars and all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Melody said:

Renouncing citizenship is a separate process, as I understand it.  But if she had brothers, I suppose her parents might have done so if there was concern about possibly being forced to register for a draft in both countries.  Depends on when it was and what was going on in the world.  
Or it could be she just presumed it to be the case.  If you have a copy of her birth certificate the Canadian consulate might be able to look it up for you.  Nevertheless, the border is currently closed, even to Canadians living here.  

Hard to say. It was the early 60s. I don’t believe there was any requirement in place to do so. I suppose she could be mistaken and she has remained a citizen all along, even if she doesn’t have a passport.

I don’t really care *that* much because I’m not actually looking to move to Canada. So, the current border status isn’t really relevant to me right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Hard to say. It was the early 60s. I don’t believe there was any requirement in place to do so. I suppose she could be mistaken and she has remained a citizen all along, even if she doesn’t have a passport.

I don’t really care *that* much because I’m not actually looking to move to Canada. So, the current border status isn’t really relevant to me right now.

If it matters to you, it is worth looking into.  Seems like the Canadian consulate is the place to start confirming mom’s status then next steps.
Im currently trying to help a friend confirm Métis ancestry for her adopted kids.  The birth mother was born in California, but the kids were born in Canada.  Birth grandma in California claims Cherokee ancestry but I have been able to rule that out.  But have found an ancestor who immigrated from French Canada in the 1870s who I think may be Métis.   Unfortunately the records are in French as well as the old style handwriting, not to mention unindexed.  Three years of high school French aren’t cutting it so it is very tedious.  Lol.  But still working on it.  Learning lots of earlier Canadian history in the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Melody said:

If it matters to you, it is worth looking into.  Seems like the Canadian consulate is the place to start confirming mom’s status then next steps.
Im currently trying to help a friend confirm Métis ancestry for her adopted kids.  The birth mother was born in California, but the kids were born in Canada.  Birth grandma in California claims Cherokee ancestry but I have been able to rule that out.  But have found an ancestor who immigrated from French Canada in the 1870s who I think may be Métis.   Unfortunately the records are in French as well as the old style handwriting, not to mention unindexed.  Three years of high school French aren’t cutting it so it is very tedious.  Lol.  But still working on it.  Learning lots of earlier Canadian history in the process.

You know what, I’m going to do it. Can’t believe this all came up because of a dumb joke I made the other night. But now she tells me that she doesn’t remember doing anything explicit to renounce citizenship. That all she did was stand up in court with her parents here and say she wanted to be a Us citizen. 
 

It costs 75 bucks to apply for a citizenship certificate, and that will determine it for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/09/11/inside-oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-saga-412208

Basically an independent review board will examine that case and if it's determined it was caused by the vaccine..... then it's over for the Oxford/AstraZeneca candidate.... which would be bad because I think that'st he one that got the earliest start and was furthest along.

The plan was to give 20,000 the vaccine, 10,000 a placebo. Then you wait to see if a certain amount of the placebo group get sick enough to show the virus working it's way through, this article pointed to another source saying that # could be 150.  But you still have to give enough time for the 20,000 people to get the vaccine and wait long enough for any side effects.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has it been discussed in here the theory that people who have recently had the various vaccines/boosters that parents get when they have kids (I can’t remember all of them) is acting as a pseudo vaccine for Covid (if you had them recently).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you guys feel about the gyms opening up? I have really missed going since they closed cause I don't have a weight set or elliptical at home which are the things I use the most.   I'm really anxious to go back but at the same time apprehensive about it.

Are or have any of you guys gone back to the gym?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shelton said:

You know what, I’m going to do it. Can’t believe this all came up because of a dumb joke I made the other night. But now she tells me that she doesn’t remember doing anything explicit to renounce citizenship. That all she did was stand up in court with her parents here and say she wanted to be a Us citizen. 
 

It costs 75 bucks to apply for a citizenship certificate, and that will determine it for sure. 

Keep us posted!  I'm always interested in how such things work, what documentation is required, etc.  Useful in my genealogy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

How do you guys feel about the gyms opening up? I have really missed going since they closed cause I don't have a weight set or elliptical at home which are the things I use the most.   I'm really anxious to go back but at the same time apprehensive about it.

Are or have any of you guys gone back to the gym?

I went to the gym regularly but for group classes.   We were doing zoom classes then when the gov opened up group settings outdoors we've been meeting in parks and at the library.  The place is part of a community center and it opens up Monday but all the instructors are going to keep doing these classes outside.  WIth the mask requirement I am not sure any of them are going to go back inside.  The original thought was that since they would move the bikes and other equipment for group classes in larger ballrooms with very high ceilings and proper spacing it would work.  But the mask changes everything.  Since it's associated with the city they will abide by the rules. We are staying out as long as we can.... 

I'm not going to a gym.  I can run outside, (no bad weather just bad clothes) and I have 2 25lb kettle bells, 15 lb dumbells, and 2 resistance bands.  That's all I need.  Maybe I would if I didn't have my stuff but I figure why take any more risk than necessary.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...