chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Drinking Fountain!

Public drinking fountains are currently closed due to covid.  

54 minutes ago, Shelton said:

What a ridiculously stupid ******* experiment. 

freedom tho

checkmate lib

15 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

it's a mutual obligation. If the state fails in it's obligation to provide an demonstrably safe product then clearly the corresponding obligation is negated. But in point of fact, the discussion I was quoting was not even about prospective CV-19 vaccines but vaccinations in general. I didn't note that and in this context should have.

Ohhh..ok. i get it. So would you be apprehensive about getting a covid vaccine if they skipped a stage? If your doctor called and said come get your shot? Or would you fault the typical American who waits? With it being an election year, I could see Trump getting a boost from it. It may be the only thing that even keeps the election close. 

16 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I am sure there were many then as well.

I suspect relatively few are still cautious about that now, 35 years after the fact.

Um, bet they are still wearing masks and gloves and heat sterilizing instruments.  Which they were not in the early 80s.  Geez.  And if your dentist or medical provider is not, you need to find a new one.

I do not get the problem you people have with understanding disease transmission and being aware of whether our medical providers are fully compliant with guidelines.   

5 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Ohhh..ok. i get it. So would you be apprehensive about getting a covid vaccine if they skipped a stage? If your doctor called and said come get your shot? Or would you fault the typical American who waits? With it being an election year, I could see Trump getting a boost from it. It may be the only thing that even keeps the election close. 

Depends on the doctor.  I would ask questions, but trust OUR doctor to give us good advice.  But it doesn't make her defensive for us to ask questions.  One of the reasons we like her.  But I do "get" those who think they should wait on a very new drug or vaccine.  No judging.

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

I don't doubt Trump is holding hope of vaccine as his October home run, but it only goes to show how little he understands about how most of the world works. You could vaccinate 50 million people in October and it still wouldn't go any distance prove the negative that those vaccinees were not going to get sick (ie. that the vaccine works)

6 minutes ago, Melody said:

Public drinking fountains are currently closed due to covid.  

Yeah, it's all so new. First it survives on surfaces for 2 days and then i read 28 days. Then i hear it doesn't really live at all on most surfaces. And masks. First we were told they didn't help, then to save the masks for first responders. Then make our own masks and mandates to wear them. We really shouldn't blame the experts, it was all so new. But Trump is 100% at fault. Anyone who kept up with the facts can't dispute that. The virus never woulda gotten outta China if he didn't shut down the CDC offices there.

I remember a photo of Barbara Bush we First Lady visiting an orphanage of children with AIDS and she was holding a baby. It was a big deal.  Even as late as 1992 with Magic Johnson you had some people like Karl Malone thinking his sweat would spread it and didn’t want him in the ASG.  I don’t know about the dentist thing but there was still  a lot of concern. 

5 minutes ago, Melody said:

Um, bet they are still wearing masks and gloves and heat sterilizing instruments.  Which they were not in the early 80s.  Geez.  And if your dentist or medical provider is not, you need to find a new one.

I do not get the problem you people have with understanding disease transmission and being aware of whether our medical providers are fully compliant with guidelines.   

when I see my doctor, the first thing she does is go to the sink and wash. And the nurse who does the triage does the same thing. I think they're so used to it, they don't even realize they're doing it. And this was before covid.

8 hours ago, Melody said:

I don't think I or Kacie responses had to do with a lack of awareness - or a lack of caring - of whether our medical providers are fully compliant with guidelines.

It had to do with how you framed / parsed how you became cautious, nothing more.

• Thanks 1

On a positive note.  ND was back in person classes yesterday after 2 weeks online.  Daily cases keep decreasing.  Last 5 days: 17,10, 3, 12, 2 from a peak of 102, 89, 82  Aug 17-19.  The peak was all traced back to 2 off campus parties the weekend before school started.  

Another major positive, of the 591 positive results since back at school, 410 are recovered and 0 hospitalizations.  They isolated every positive for 10 days and quarantined every close contact until they had  2 negative tests -first taken at 4 days, 2nd at 6 or 7 days from contact.  They have been using apartments, hotels, etc.  They are continually  increasing the surveillance testing - my son was tested once last week, and are starting Saliva testing I believe this week in which case they will be testing everyone much more in order to isolate positives quicker.

From it being a question if they were going to be able to stay on campus a couple weeks ago, I'm getting pretty confident they will be able to finish off the semester.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

On a positive note.  ND was back in person classes yesterday after 2 weeks online.  Daily cases keep decreasing.  Last 5 days: 17,10, 3, 12, 2 from a peak of 102, 89, 82  Aug 17-19.  The peak was all traced back to 2 off campus parties the weekend before school started.  

Another major positive, of the 591 positive results since back at school, 410 are recovered and 0 hospitalizations.  They isolated every positive for 10 days and quarantined every close contact until they had  2 negative tests -first taken at 4 days, 2nd at 6 or 7 days from contact.  They have been using apartments, hotels, etc.  They are continually  increasing the surveillance testing - my son was tested once last week, and are starting Saliva testing I believe this week in which case they will be testing everyone much more in order to isolate positives quicker.

From it being a question if they were going to be able to stay on campus a couple weeks ago, I'm getting pretty confident they will be able to finish off the semester.

That's really good news. And it shows how critical testing is in helping slow down the spread. I wish our leaders would have started extensive testing back in March. We may have been in a better position by now.

There's been some interesting pretzel logic on social media regarding the upcoming CV19 vax.  Originally if one refused to be injected with a fast tracked CV19, that individual was more or less put into the "anti-vax" category.  Now that Trump has put his weight behind the fast tracked CV19 vax and having it released before Election Day, those would categorize people with legitimate concerns as "anti-vaxxers" are now saying they won't get vax'd because of Trump.  To me it's yet another example of how the national obsession with Trump is keeping people from thinking and analyzing with an independent and rational mindset.  It's both a fascinating and disappointing observation.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

There's been some interesting pretzel logic on social media regarding the upcoming CV19 vax.  Originally if one refused to be injected with a fast tracked CV19, that individual was more or less put into the "anti-vax" category.  Now that Trump has put his weight behind the fast tracked CV19 vax and having it released before Election Day, those would categorize people with legitimate concerns as "anti-vaxxers" are now saying they won't get vax'd because of Trump.  To me it's yet another example of how the national obsession with Trump is keeping people from thinking and analyzing with an independent and rational mindset.  It's both a fascinating and disappointing observation.

Questioning a man like Donald Trump's motives is entirely rational.  To not do that would be irrational.  

It's only pretzel logic to people wishing to be contrarian in an attempt to defend the president.

There's going to be enough skepticism around this without him jumping in trying to push it through for the sole motive of electoral benefit  rather than a health benefit.  His history on this pandemic is quite clear that it's all been about how it affects him personally not us. 

There's no pretzel logic.

• Like 8

My position on a vaccine is pretty simple: I would rather it be safe than rushed. And in order for the candidate to have credibility, it will have to have the blessing of people who know what they are talking about (ie. Fauci and his contemporaries). And, at this point in time, both Fauci and Stephen Hahn have been far more cautious in making predictions about the rollout of a vaccine than the CDC guidance.

Not everything is a referendum on Trump, Euph.

• Thanks 1

I will see what my doctor has to say.  We've never been ones to rush onto the bandwagon with new vaccines or treatments.  But most of the newer ones have not been for something contagious so it wasn't a real problem to avoid being infected while waiting to see how it all fell in the long term.  If the new vaccine is safe, we'll probably go for it and continue most of our disease avoidance practices (masking, sanitation, avoiding crowds) to account for unknown effectiveness and duration of protection.  We've done everything but the masking for years, during flu season especially, so not a big deal for us.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Melody said:

I will see what my doctor has to say.  We've never been ones to rush onto the bandwagon with new vaccines or treatments.  But most of the newer ones have not been for something contagious so it wasn't a real problem to avoid being infected while waiting to see how it all fell in the long term.  If the new vaccine is safe, we'll probably go for it and continue most of our disease avoidance practices (masking, sanitation, avoiding crowds) to account for unknown effectiveness and duration of protection.  We've done everything but the masking for years, during flu season especially, so not a big deal for us.

Basically where we are at as well....

My wife wants to hug her grandparents again.... if there is a vaccine candidate that can be vouched for safety by medical professionals and we can get it, we'll be getting it. Whether it's in November or February or whenever.

We've been dealing with this for over 6 months so waiting another month or so for more testing and analysis by real experts (those that do this for a living) and not ones with political motives is a no brainer for me.  I want to get back to normal as soon as possible.

And to play devil's advocate.... many of the same people who don't trust the science and think the CDC/WHO/NIH are all phonies and believe stupid **** like only 9,000 people died of covid anad that vaccines are plots by Bill Gates to microchip us and the pandemic was meant to go cashless-mark of the beast, demon sperm, etc..... they'll run right out and get a shot if Donnie Boy tells it's ok....  So take those pretzels and dunk them into some nice warm cheese and wash it down with some fine whine.

2 hours ago, Euphdude said:

People won't get vaccinated if Trump says there is a vaccine and the medical and scientific community does not fully back it.  

Someone is an anti-vaxer if the vaccine has the full backing of the scientific and medical community, but people still refuse to take it even after it is proven to work.  

11 minutes ago, Oblong said:

We've been dealing with this for over 6 months so waiting another month or so for more testing and analysis by real experts (those that do this for a living) and not ones with political motives is a no brainer for me.  I want to get back to normal as soon as possible.

And to play devil's advocate.... many of the same people who don't trust the science and think the CDC/WHO/NIH are all phonies and believe stupid **** like only 9,000 people died of covid anad that vaccines are plots by Bill Gates to microchip us and the pandemic was meant to go cashless-mark of the beast, demon sperm, etc..... they'll run right out and get a shot if Donnie Boy tells it's ok....  So take those pretzels and dunk them into some nice warm cheese and wash it down with some fine whine.

More likely many of them will turn on Trump as a RINO.  Those anti vaxxers and anti maskers are a pretty hardcore bunch.

2 hours ago, Euphdude said:

The only irrational one here is you. Donald Trump claimed this disease was a hoax, would go away like a miracle when the weather got warm, contradicts his own public health agencies, publicly attacks one of the leading experts in infectious diseases, takes the advice of a pillow salesman and witch doctor who believes in demon sperm instead, pushed hydroxychloroquine despite no evidence it was effective, claims the US wouldn't have high case numbers if they didn't test so many people, doesn't understand per capita, wants a vaccine on his timeline that benefits him politically, and this is the guy you want overseeing a vaccine? Seriously? The most rational decision I have ever made is not accepting a vaccine from this administration that has peddled unproven cures and thought this was a hoax just 6 months ago. 

Umich is working with a pharma company on a phase 3 trial and taking volunteers applications right now. 2/3 of the people get the vaccine and 1/3 get the placebo. The trial lasts two years. 

I guess that’s not surprising, because they way to test its effectiveness requires some of the placebo people to actually get sick. I doubt anyone is going to start attending large indoor gatherings immediately to test it out. They need people to end up getting while going about their life. Maybe there are people out there that aren’t scared of getting the virus and are willing to continue putting themselves and others at risk that will enter this trial. 

I’m sure they take into consideration your expected level of exposure when selecting candidates. 

I’d rather just wait for an actual vaccine that works than roll the dice on whether I get the placebo.