Jump to content

chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Melody said:

One of the women I unfollowed today posted those statistics and she has an autoimmune disease!  (Lupus)  She has good days and bad days, on a bunch of medications to manage her disease.  But stable and unlikely to die from the disease itself.  She is my age.

Lupus patients are getting hammered by this in not only this way, but hydroxychorocline (or however you spell it) is indicated for it's use, and there have been new hardship for Lupus patients in receiving the medication. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If she has had issues getting her meds, she hasn’t mentioned it.   But that may be a point.  Maybe if she is on hydroxychloroquine for her lupus she thinks she is protected?  I didn’t choose to engage her on the topic, just unfollowed her.  At least temporarily.   I just do not understand the opposition to wearing a mask.  I mean, we wear pants in public. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Melody said:

If she has had issues getting her meds, she hasn’t mentioned it.   But that may be a point.  Maybe if she is on hydroxychloroquine for her lupus she thinks she is protected?  I didn’t choose to engage her on the topic, just unfollowed her.  At least temporarily.   I just do not understand the opposition to wearing a mask.  I mean, we wear pants in public. 

I think that is the point they're making.  I've heard that before too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pfife said:

Lupus patients are getting hammered by this in not only this way, but hydroxychorocline (or however you spell it) is indicated for it's use, and there have been new hardship for Lupus patients in receiving the medication. 

A girl I know roughly my age has posted about how her Lupus is made worse by the HCQ shortage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recent MI hot spots: Isabella County (CMU?), Muskegon County (GVSU?), and Luce County (outbreak in the prison). Of the big counties, Macomb has the worst incidence at 12/100K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First time traveling somewhere out of the northeast since COVID started....I've been pleasantly surprised by the seriousness of people where I'm at in Texas. Masks consistently worn, no whining, solid protocols in place most places, etc 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Microline133 said:

First time traveling somewhere out of the northeast since COVID started....I've been pleasantly surprised by the seriousness of people where I'm at in Texas. Masks consistently worn, no whining, solid protocols in place most places, etc 

Urban/Suburban Texas or Rural Texas?

It can make a difference 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot to update you all... wife’s test was negative. She got results after 3 days.  Doctor called her. I don’t know if that is standard but our place has testing available each day for their patients.  One of the docs does them in the parking lot.  So many per day.  Maybe he did that because he knew her from work... I don’t know.  
 

her friend that tested positive is still kind of clueless on this. I can see why we still have problems.  He’s not a bad guy. Not stupid. Not a denier.  Just lives his life.  He tested negative and wanted to run with them Saturday. They said they were still nervous and he said “I feel fine”. Argh.  That’s not the point.  But he doesn’t know better.  That’s most people sadly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Urban/Suburban Texas or Rural Texas?

It can make a difference 

Very county-based here. It's mandatory in my county, but the two that border to the south, it isn't and it shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Recent MI hot spots: Isabella County (CMU?), Muskegon County (GVSU?), and Luce County (outbreak in the prison). Of the big counties, Macomb has the worst incidence at 12/100K.

I have been seeing increases in cases at CMU in recent mlive articles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Urban/Suburban Texas or Rural Texas?

It can make a difference 

Urban/Suburban; I'm in Denton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Oblong said:

Forgot to update you all... wife’s test was negative. She got results after 3 days.  Doctor called her. I don’t know if that is standard but our place has testing available each day for their patients.  One of the docs does them in the parking lot.  So many per day.  Maybe he did that because he knew her from work... I don’t know.  
 

her friend that tested positive is still kind of clueless on this. I can see why we still have problems.  He’s not a bad guy. Not stupid. Not a denier.  Just lives his life.  He tested negative and wanted to run with them Saturday. They said they were still nervous and he said “I feel fine”. Argh.  That’s not the point.  But he doesn’t know better.  That’s most people sadly. 

I read up to 40% of cases may be asymptomatic. Possible super spreaders. And people just don't know the basics about wearing masks either. Wearing them incorrectly or constantly touching their face to adjust them. Ughhhh

But great news about your wife's negative test. It has to be a bit of relief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Dentist today. 50-50 chance I get infected.

Same here for me and my kids.  My daughter is petrified to go.  Good news with that is I guess if they did go back to in person school at some point soon, I know she'd take it seriously.  Bad news is I feel horrible that she's scared to go out in public.  (note - never have had any issues with her/dentist, all concerns were related to getting sick.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife went back to the office today for the first time since March. There are only a few people not working remotely so it’s not a big worry. Since we have plans of permanently being out of the apartment by mid September, the WiFi is going back to Comcast this morning. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree.  Since various precautions became mandatory compliance has been much higher, at least in the places I go.   Sam’s Club and Albertsons both have uniformed, off duty police officers at the door.  
 

We ate at a hamburger restaurant in Arlington last week.  Super compliant, staff and guests.  I saw one waitress remind a guy about his mask when he got up from the table to go to the bathroom or something.  He was pretty cheerful and apologetic and went back to get it without complaint.   I guess folks are getting used to them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Same here for me and my kids.  My daughter is petrified to go.  Good news with that is I guess if they did go back to in person school at some point soon, I know she'd take it seriously.  Bad news is I feel horrible that she's scared to go out in public.  (note - never have had any issues with her/dentist, all concerns were related to getting sick.)

FWIW, my stepsister is a dental hygienist and has worked through most of the pandemic.  So far no issues at their practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Oblong said:

Forgot to update you all... wife’s test was negative. She got results after 3 days.  Doctor called her. I don’t know if that is standard but our place has testing available each day for their patients.  One of the docs does them in the parking lot.  So many per day.  Maybe he did that because he knew her from work... I don’t know.  
 

her friend that tested positive is still kind of clueless on this. I can see why we still have problems.  He’s not a bad guy. Not stupid. Not a denier.  Just lives his life.  He tested negative and wanted to run with them Saturday. They said they were still nervous and he said “I feel fine”. Argh.  That’s not the point.  But he doesn’t know better.  That’s most people sadly. 

How long has it been since his positive test? Weren’t we talking about how if it’s been 10 days since a positive test and a person has no symptoms that they aren’t contagious anymore? I thought it was something like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

How long has it been since his positive test? Weren’t we talking about how if it’s been 10 days since a positive test and a person has no symptoms that they aren’t contagious anymore? I thought it was something like that. 

It was almost 2 weeks... my wife would prefer two negative tests in a row... but they let him tag along anyway and made him stay behind them.  Being super cautious.  The third person in the group is training for a marathon, a virtual one, and it's in 2 weeks, so they don't want to mess that up.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Melody said:

FWIW, my stepsister is a dental hygienist and has worked through most of the pandemic.  So far no issues at their practice.

I'm confident at this point that our Dentist will take all possible precautions.  I'm not worried at all, just didn't expect my daughter to balk when I told her, especially for the reasons why.  Just glad that we must be doing something right at home if she knows it's a legitimate concern, but also have that grandpa mentality "back in my day, we worried about going to the dentist because our parents didn't know better than let us have pop all the time and we had to deal with cavities....and we liked it!"  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ewsieg said:

I'm confident at this point that our Dentist will take all possible precautions.  I'm not worried at all, just didn't expect my daughter to balk when I told her, especially for the reasons why.  Just glad that we must be doing something right at home if she knows it's a legitimate concern, but also have that grandpa mentality "back in my day, we worried about going to the dentist because our parents didn't know better than let us have pop all the time and we had to deal with cavities....and we liked it!"  

Oh, I have been cautious about dentists since the AIDS crisis started in the 80s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Oblong said:

It was almost 2 weeks... my wife would prefer two negative tests in a row... but they let him tag along anyway and made him stay behind them.  Being super cautious.  The third person in the group is training for a marathon, a virtual one, and it's in 2 weeks, so they don't want to mess that up.  

 

Yeah, I don’t fault them for wanting to be extra cautious. I guess I just don’t agree that his reaction or recent behavior is an example of someone who doesn’t get it.  That’s not to say he does in fact get it; he probably doesn’t. But if people only re-entered society two weeks after their positive test and following a negative test with no symptoms, we’ll be just fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Dentist today. 50-50 chance I get infected.

I went about a month ago and it was fine.

Key is I got the first appointment and they made you sign a pledge that you were not bringing COVID in holding you liable somehow if you lie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...