chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

Just now, Shelton said:

I don’t know. Just trying to paraphrase a couple of things I read over the past few days. I think it was still the conclusion that for the most part, if you don’t become symptomatic, you are not spreading it that much during the time you are actually contagious. So I think that would apply to people that don’t develop fever or other symptoms. I think it was also the case that the fever can come and go undetected at the beginning. 

There are obviously going to be exceptions, but there is apparently a very clear progression of symptoms that begins with fever and moves to dry cough and loss of taste/smell, and then to the digestive issues. 

But a lot of the “he tested positive and had a cough but didn’t have a fever” type accounts are instances where the fever came and went before going in for the test.

that anecdotally fits in with my sister in law's experience.  It all started after a family gathering when they were told "Oh yeah... (the 9 year old) probably has it, she wasn't tested but she was around people who did get it".  So SIL immediately tries to get tested, that comes back positive, and everyone else that was there got tested... no positives.  Even her husband didn't test positive.  Her only symptom was loss of smell and a minor cough, which she isn't sure was covid related anyway.  Could have been a false positive too.  She said if it wasn't for being told about it she never would have needed to get tested and never would have thought she had it.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

People who contract the virus but do not display the first symptom of fever, are they contagious?

From what I have read the consensus is yes - but. Yes that the person has a viral load and is capable of shedding it, BUT because they have no symptoms, they are less likely to be engaging in spreading behaviors like coughing than a symptomatic individual. Of course all subject to change pending the next study release....:cry:

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

From what I have read the consensus is yes - but. Yes that the person has a viral load and is capable of shedding it, BUT because they have no symptoms, they are less likely to be engaging in spreading behaviors like coughing than a symptomatic individual. Of course all subject to change pending the next study release....:cry:

OTOH they might be more likely to live as normal which, especially if they're of the red hat persuasion, they may talk close to people and hang out inside public spaces without masks and not have any idea they might be spreading (if they even care).

477 new cases today... lowest for a Tuesday since July 7, if that means anything.  

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

477 new cases today... lowest for a Tuesday since July 7, if that means anything.  

I'm feeling pretty, pretty, pretty good about the last few days.

Hoping there isn't a backlog of tests.

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Not good..... something like a 15% positivity rate.

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

Cases in Washtenaw are dropping fast this week.

Statewide hospitalizations should start to drop in a week or two. There still holding pretty steady at about 640.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Not good..... something like a 15% positivity rate.

This is because the second batch of tests were from the contact tracing recipients, right?

13 minutes ago, Shelton said:

MSU has switched to online only. Good for them. 

Schlissel sent out an e-mail to faculty and staff today. No change in plans.

One of the universities here said that they were planning to test all on campus students and faculty something like weekly.  Darned if I can remember which one.    Presently supervising the grill so I will try to find it later.  That is going to be expensive!

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Schlissel sent out an e-mail to faculty and staff today. No change in plans.

I was gonna ask. Figured you would be in the loop. I give it a week. 

Just now, Melody said:

One of the universities here said that they were planning to test all on campus students and faculty something like weekly.  Darned if I can remember which one.    Presently supervising the grill so I will try to find it later.  That is going to be expensive!

And wholly ineffective. Why even bother. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Melody said:

This is one of the big reasons that the Pac12 canceled football.    They had a plan to test players and staff weekly but they quickly realized that this would be near impossible in California.   Access to tests are still at such a premium they were unable to find a consistent partner that could test and get results back in a timely manner.   There were also questions if weekly tests would even be enough to keep the virus at bay.   This along with myocarditis concerns caused them to cancel.  

Lawrence Tech plans on having in person classes lots of student have already moved in. Classes start the 24th. I dont think they will go online only you have yo give housing refunds and that's where the money is.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

This is because the second batch of tests were from the contact tracing recipients, right?

I believe that's right 

My in-laws traveled to Mexico yesterday for a family funeral.  It's in a suburb or Monterrey.

No one is wearing masks.  The funeral was indoors and no one (besides my in-laws) were wearing masks.  No one in town is wearing masks and life is going on normally with no one obeying any restrictions.

So when we all complain - rightly - about Americans being stupid, let's understand that it's not just Americans.

a.jpgThis doesn’t look promising 

https://www.whmi.com/news/article/howell-students-crowd-hallway-first-day-back-to-school

By Jon King / jking@whmi.com

A literal picture has emerged from the first day of in-person instruction at Howell High School with no indication of social distancing.

Today marks the earliest start date in Howell Public School’s history, despite the requests of many teachers and a proposal from the Howell teacher's union to delay the school year until after Labor Day out of concern for the COVID-19 pandemic, which has taken the lives of approximately 172,000 American men, women and children, over 6,600 of them Michigan residents. While virus levels have remained low in Livingston County, teachers and others expressed concern leading up to the start of school that allowing students to return to classrooms presented a danger of spreading the virus. Others said it was important that students get back into classrooms and they felt all reasonable safety precautions were being taken. However, a picture sent to WHMI from inside the high school this morning shows more than a hundred students congregating in the school’s entryway before classes began. While most are wearing masks, at least one student can be seen with no mask on and another with a mask below their nose. And in no way is the traditional six feet of social distancing being observed as students stand in groups speaking directly at each other, just inches apart. 

Kristi Craig is President of the Howell Education Association, which represents the district's teachers. She told WHMI that the MI Return To School Roadmap guided the district's plans and was prioritized over teacher and staff input. She said it didn't require social distancing, but only made it 'highly recommended' - "So school districts made plans and they didn't necessarily utilize all of the 'highly recommended' or 'strongly recommended' items and social distancing is one of them and we know from science that is another really important step in virus mitigation. So teachers, who desperately wanted to be back with students under the most safe conditions, preferred to have social distancing as part of our plan. So it doesn't surprise me that you received a picture like that or that there's students not wearing masks because that plan doesn't require the strongest of recommendations unfortunately."

Just last week, the heads of Livingston County’s Teacher Education Associations issued a joint statement that said districts were not enacting the strongest safeguards set by the governor’s roadmap and staff and students returning to in-person learning would be at an increased risk for contracting COVID-19. The statement was signed by the heads of the Howell, Fowlerville, Brighton, Hartland, and Pinckney education associations; along with the Livingston County 8-D Coordinating Council Chair and 2 members of the MEA Board of Directors. 

In reaction to the picture, HPS Public Relations Director Tom Gould sent the following response: "We are aware of a photo circulating that shows students not following social distancing and safety protocols at Howell High School. As our students and staff adjust to the new school year and new safety measures, we expected there to be bumps along the way. That is why we adjusted our schedule for the first week of school to allow for three half days. The shorter days will allow students to become comfortable with and understand the new expectations. Additionally, our staff will spend the afternoon reviewing our plans and making any adjustments needed to ensure that we are providing the safest environment possible for both students and staff. As stated, we knew there would be some bumps as we transitioned to in-person learning, however as the CDC recognizes, schools play a critical role in supporting students not only academically, but with social and emotional supports, and supporting families with nutritional needs. We have worked closely with the Livingston County Health Department throughout our planning process and the positive rate for Livingston County remains at the low level."

2 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

This doesn’t look promising 

https://www.whmi.com/news/article/howell-students-crowd-hallway-first-day-back-to-school

A literal picture has emerged from the first day of in-person instruction at Howell High School with no indication of social distancing.

Here is the literal picture.

Howell Students Crowd Hallway On First Day Back To School

I do see a lot of masks, though.

• Like 1