chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

now we get the real constitutional crisis. Is the establishment going to stop at least some things that actually need to happen (well except for the tax holiday) because they have to happen via a different route?

and it all goes back to McConnell's disloyalty to his country. If he called up the House bill he could pass something close enough to get to conference with some the Dems and the non wacko repub votes. But he cares more about the integrity of his caucus than of the institutions of representative government.

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Pretty transparent.  Isn't it?  

You betcha.

32 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

That doesn't seem legal.

Putting it mildly

So, if collection actually stops but money is still owed... we are all still on the hook, right?

Just now, mtutiger said:

So, if collection actually stops but money is still owed... we are all still on the hook, right?

the correct move is to impeach him again and have the Senate vote him out this time and since that still won't happen this is going to be a cluster****

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

the correct move is to impeach him again and have the Senate vote him out this time and since that still won't happen this is going to be a cluster****

I question whether any of this will come to pass. A lot of his EOs are all bark and no bite.

But if I were the Dems, I'd go *hard* on Medicare and SS after the Payroll Tax Cut.

In other words, I have to pay it back.

Thanks Trump. Hope the headlines were worth it. 

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm not following how this payroll tax deferment does any good? 

Could be why neither House in Congress is interested in passing it.

7 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Could be why neither House in Congress is interested in passing it.

And he came right out and lied when he said "everyone" wanted it. It makes you wonder what else he was lying about? The dems demands? Biden being more left than Bernie? And then he walked off when he was called out on his lies.

35 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm not following how this payroll tax deferment does any good? 

Trump takes the money you owe the government and lets you hold on to it but legally you still owe it.. then holds that over congress’s head and when you have to pay it back he blames them for it.  

“I tried to help you. Your only shot at not having to ‘pay an extra $2000’ at tax time is to vote for me.  Joe will tax you “ 

that is precisely how the ************ will frame it and his idiot followers will believe it.  He’s now going to make it look like money you legally owe will the fault or Joe Biden. People are too dumb to understand.  “Trump gave us a tax cut and Biden wants it back”.  

and the so called fiscal conservatives will fold like the weak intellectual creatures they are 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Trump takes the money you owe the government and lets you hold on to it but legally you still owe it.. then holds that over congress’s head and when you have to pay it back he blames them for it.  

“I tried to help you. Your only shot at not having to ‘pay an extra $2000’ at tax time is to vote for me.  Joe will tax you “ 

that is precisely how the ************ will frame it and his idiot followers will believe it.  He’s now going to make it look like money you legally owe will the fault or Joe Biden. People are too dumb to understand.  “Trump gave us a tax cut and Biden wants it back”.  

and the so called fiscal conservatives will fold like the weak intellectual creatures they are 

Yup.

So the Liar In Chief just fibbed about the tax holiday. 

But he and the Trumpublicans are coming after social security and Medicare. They hate their base.

Every day that GOP congressmen and Senators don’t call him on this nonsense is another deserved shovel-ful of dirt on their collective graves come November.  

Every last one of them need to be voted out, and tossed on the garbage heap that was the Republican Party.

Let’s stop referring to just the nonsense and hate that spews from Trumps mouth, and recognize/realize that he couldn’t exist if they didn’t allow and encourage him.

• Thanks 4

Huh, I guess I was wrong and it is legal.

Trump Authorizes Extending Special Unemployment Benefit at $400 a Week

The tax deferral is legal under a tax code section that gives the administration the authority to pause tax deadlines after a presidential disaster declaration. The government used the same law to delay the April 15 tax-filing deadline to July.

Still creates a problem for business.  We now have to spend time, and probably money, figuring out if we can ignore this and continue to withhold that money so we aren't hit with a big lump sump payment at the first of the year.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

But if I were the Dems, I'd go *hard* on Medicare and SS after the Payroll Tax Cut.

Yup

Thread.

I hope there is some explanation for the spike in Texas' sudden spike in positivity rate

wow, just wow.. Excerpts from a corporate mea culpa

In my prior life as an insurance executive, it was my job to deceive Americans about their health care. I misled people to protect profits. In fact, one of my major objectives, as a corporate propagandist, was to do my part to “enhance shareholder value.” That work contributed directly to a climate in which fewer people are insured, which has shaped our nation’s struggle against the coronavirus, a condition that we can fight only if everyone is willing and able to get medical treatment. Had spokesmen like me not been paid to obscure important truths about the differences between the U.S. and Canadian health-care systems, tens of thousands of Americans who have died during the pandemic might still be alive......

...... On a task force for the industry’s biggest trade association, America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP), we talked about how we might make health-care systems in Canada, France, Britain and even Cuba look just as bad as ours....

.....Nevertheless, I spent much of that year as an industry spokesman, my last after 20 years in the business, spreading AHIP’s “information” to journalists and lawmakers to create the impression that our health-care system was far superior to Canada’s, which we wanted people to believe was on the verge of collapse. The campaign worked. Stories began to appear in the press that cast the Canadian system in a negative light. And when Democrats began writing what would become the Affordable Care Act in early 2009, they gave no serious consideration to a publicly financed system like Canada’s. We succeeded so wildly at defining that idea as radical that Sen. Max Baucus (D-Mont.), then chair of the Senate Finance Committee, had single-payer supporters ejected from a hearing.......

....Today, the respective responses of Canada and the United States to the coronavirus pandemic prove just how false the ideas I helped spread were. There are more than three times as many coronavirus infections per capita in the United States, and the mortality rate is twice the rate in Canada. And although we now test more people per capita, our northern neighbor had much earlier successes with testing, which helped make a difference throughout the pandemic.....

....Of the many regrets I have about what I once did for a living, one of the biggest is slandering Canada’s health-care system. If the United States had undertaken a different kind of reform in 2009 (or anytime since), one that didn’t rely on private insurance companies that have every incentive to limit what they pay for, we’d be a healthier country today. Living without insurance dramatically increases your chances of dying unnecessarily. Over the past 13 years, tens of thousands of Americans have probably died prematurely because, unlike our neighbors to the north, they either had no coverage or were so inadequately insured that they couldn’t afford the care they needed. I live with that horror, and my role in it, every day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/08/06/health-insurance-canada-lie/?arc404=true

41 minutes ago, Oblong said:

If he wants to make those cuts permanent if he is victorius on 3 Nov, he should explain how he intends to keep SS/Medicare solvent.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

If he wants to make those cuts permanent if he is victorius on 3 Nov, he should explain how he intends to keep SS/Medicare solvent.

He has no idea and doesn't care.  It just sounds good to talk about tax cuts.  

12 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

The governor is in the running for the Sarah Palin award for hot/dumb politician.

Noted that she spells her first name without superfluous vowels like a sorority girl.