chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

6 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

there is an article in the Lancet that points out that the populations where the virus is most virulent seem to correspond to populations most at risk for Vit D deficiency. And of course, who drinks the most vitamin D fortified milk? They also note that the effect may be small and hard to tease out of other factors, but since it's pretty harmless to take a multivitamin if you don't drink much milk, the Lancet writers recommend you do.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(20)30268-0/fulltext

My dr. has had me on a vitamin D supplement for years. I guess the vitamin D from foods isn't the same as from the sun?

Vitamin D is involved in calcium absorption, immune function, and protecting bone, muscle, and heart health. It occurs naturally in food and can also be produced by your body when your skin is exposed to sunlight.

Yet, aside from fatty fish, there are few foods rich in vitamin D. What's more, most people don't get enough sun exposure to produce adequate vitamin D.

Thus, deficiency is very common. In fact, it's estimated that about 1 billion people worldwide don't get enough of this vitamin (1Trusted Source).

Supplements are very common, and both vitamin D2 and vitamin D3 can be taken in supplement form. Vitamin D3 is produced in response to sun exposure and is found in animal products, whereas vitamin D2 occurs in plants.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-d-side-effects#1

3 hours ago, smr-nj said:

Sturgis this weekend.

Talk about your super spreader. I feel bad for the regular residents of the town.

Regular residents are probably all in on it. People probably don't live in or move to Sturgis, South Dakota unless (a) they like the annual biker rally, or (b) they're a red hat.

image.png.7d3b218dc71a192d91ac983e3a6f04b1.png

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Regular residents are probably all in on it. People probably don't live in or move to Sturgis, South Dakota unless (a) they like the annual biker rally, or (b) they're a red hat.

image.png.7d3b218dc71a192d91ac983e3a6f04b1.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/08/06/motorcycle-rally-coronavirus/?outputType=amp

Not exactly.... there are concerns from regular residents.

Reducing people's feelings on COVID down exclusively to the 2016 Election Map seems a bit simplistic 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

Saw that on the news last night.  I think we are going to get to 300k deaths by October based on that alone.

I think the White House released the 300,000-by-December estimate so that when it's only 250,000 by October, they can point to what a fantastic job they're doing. "See? It's not 300,000. We're awesome"

Of course, if it's exceeding 300,000 in October which, at 2K+ deaths a day and rising it very well may, they'll just ratchet up the estimate to 500,000 in December and say "See? Only 350,000 deaths. We're doing great. And hey, news flash: everybody dies. It is what it is."

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/08/06/motorcycle-rally-coronavirus/?outputType=amp

Not exactly.... there are concerns from regular residents.

Reducing people's feelings on COVID down exclusively to the 2016 Election Map seems a bit simplistic 

Yes, two people do have concerns, one of whom remained anonymous because she feared backlash from the community.

Governor Noem ain't one of them, though. "We hope people come,” Noem said of the motorcycle rally. “Our economy benefits when people come and visit us." As governor after governor — Democrat and Republican — turned to stay-at-home orders earlier this year, Noem denounced “herd mentality” and said such a move was not right for her rural state: “South Dakota is not New York City,” she said.

It sure ain't.

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yes, two people do have concerns, one of whom remained anonymous because she feared backlash from the community.

Governor Noem ain't one of them, though. "We hope people come,” Noem said of the motorcycle rally. “Our economy benefits when people come and visit us." As governor after governor — Democrat and Republican — turned to stay-at-home orders earlier this year, Noem denounced “herd mentality” and said such a move was not right for her rural state: “South Dakota is not New York City,” she said.

It sure ain't.

You said "the residents were in on it"

Perhaps some don't care, but I'm guessing that a lot more do.

Just because an area voted for Trump in 2016 doesn't mean people don't give a **** about Corona

I've been to South Dakota. Won't ever be going back. Once you move about 30 miles from the Minnesota state line, it's one of the most desolate places I have ever been to. Cannot imagine how that state would handle an outbreak. You're hundreds of miles from any hospital that could probably handle COVID cases. 

17 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I've been to South Dakota. Won't ever be going back. Once you move about 30 miles from the Minnesota state line, it's one of the most desolate places I have ever been to. Cannot imagine how that state would handle an outbreak. You're hundreds of miles from any hospital that could probably handle COVID cases. 

The governor is in the running for the Sarah Palin award for hot/dumb politician.

Noted that she spells her first name without superfluous vowels like a sorority girl.

6 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

The governor is in the running for the Sarah Palin award for hot/dumb politician.

Noted that she spells her first name without superfluous vowels like a sorority girl.

I could see her running in 2024. She doesn't have the mama bear appeal yet. Pretty much every governor is probably running in 2024. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I remember seeing the Mitchell Corn Palace passing through there...

Is it weird that I find it kind of neat?

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I stopped at the corn palace. There was a campground near Mitchell I stayed at before heading to Mt Rushmore. Also stopped at Wall Drug. That about covered everything there is between Sioux Falls and Rapid City. 

24 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I stopped at the corn palace. There was a campground near Mitchell I stayed at before heading to Mt Rushmore. Also stopped at Wall Drug. That about covered everything there is between Sioux Falls and Rapid City. 

You mean you passed up the car museum in Murdo?

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I could see her running in 2024. She doesn't have the mama bear appeal yet. Pretty much every governor is probably running in 2024. 

They will all have to step over the corpse of Tucker Carlson to get that nomination. 

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

You said "the residents were in on it"

Perhaps some don't care, but I'm guessing that a lot more do.

Just because an area voted for Trump in 2016 doesn't mean people don't give a **** about Corona

Technically correct, except I would bet a lot more don’t care than do, because why care about a hoax?

Best Trump interview i've ever seen, all covid related.

2 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

I bet that she dots the i's with little hearts.

• Haha 2

Just got back from trump country after a “vacation.” It was anxiety inducing. This country blows. 

That said, I did delete the Fox News app from all of the rokus at the rental. So it was a little bit productive. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wonder which is tackier Wall Drug or South of the Boarder

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I've been to the Dakota Dome.

Heck, I got to walk on the field of the Dakota Dome after a South Dakota football game.

16 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

That doesn't seem legal.

Doesn’t seem so, but probably not the point....

....But just think of the fabulous campaign ad the signing of that executive order will make! 🙂

6 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Doesn’t seem so, but probably not the point....

....But just think of the fabulous campaign ad the signing of that executive order will make! 🙂

Pretty transparent.  Isn't it?