chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

LOL. But you guys must have already done more beer than betting not to notice the same card coming up more than once on the table!

34 minutes ago, Oblong said:

amazing pot

• Haha 1

So we told kids not to hang out together, not to go to the beach and to socially isolate all summer. Now our president is telling them to all get together and go to school. OK.

11 hours ago, Oblong said:

Once before a poker night I stopped to get beer. I called my friend and asked if they wanted me to get anything.  He said “pick up some cards. Mine are old”.  

we sit down and start dealing.  First game is 7 card. Everyone is staying in and betting high.  6 of us.  It’s an amazing pot.  We all show our cards... turns out I didn’t pay attention and bought a pinochle deck. We all had high straights. 

But you can get 2 euchre decks out of one pinochle deck.

The racial breakdown matches up with the Q-Poll on Texas that I referenced a while ago.

Is there any kind of a legit argument for a payroll tax cut as part of the COVID relief bills?  I'll give POTUS a benefit of the doubt in case I haven't thought of a good reason.... it's not people who are working that need help.  It's the people who aren't working.  What is giving me an extra few bucks going to do for them?  You already gave me $2700 I didn't need.  ****... double my payroll tax until a vaccine.... I don't care.   

55 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Wow.

Glad they caught it

17 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I'm the same. I wish i would have gotten credit for all the books I read. My whole family played pinochle, and as the youngest, eventually taught me to play. I could barely hold the cards.

So you are the one😉

There must be some Western Pa blood in the family line. You’ve never lived until you’ve played 12 handed pinochle 

Is it really that bad going out to a bar or restaurant. I've been going to this place here and there and having a beer at the bar. 

4 minutes ago, TigerFan1984 said:

Is it really that bad going out to a bar or restaurant. I've been going to this place here and there and having a beer at the bar. 

It mostly depends on the establishment for me.

I feel safe at most places.  But there have been some where I walked out about 10 seconds after walking in.  Employees not wearing masks, no social distancing the tables, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Is there any kind of a legit argument for a payroll tax cut as part of the COVID relief bills?  I'll give POTUS a benefit of the doubt in case I haven't thought of a good reason.... it's not people who are working that need help.  It's the people who aren't working.  What is giving me an extra few bucks going to do for them?  You already gave me $2700 I didn't need.  ****... double my payroll tax until a vaccine.... I don't care.   

We ended up gifting most of ours to our youngest daughter.  She bought her first home and there were things she needed for it, e.g. a refrigerator and a washer and dryer.    She had some money saved for these, but her closing was a bit more than anticipated and we wanted to help her settle in faster without adding to her debt.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, smr-nj said:

Reading this jarred an old memory for me. My brother is 8 years younger than I am, so when he was in kindergarten, I’d have been about 13, old enough for my mother to have more “grown up” conversations with me. I remember she was amused because my brother’s teacher (who was a nun) shared with her the “unusual” skill my brother showed - that he could pretty much instantly add multiple number combinations... up to “21”. If the number exceeded that, he’d say “busted”. 

We all played blackjack with him. 😁. He was very good at it.   

I'm still chuckling over this story this afternoon.  LOL  

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

It mostly depends on the establishment for me.

I feel safe at most places.  But there have been some where I walked out about 10 seconds after walking in.  Employees not wearing masks, no social distancing the tables, etc.

I’d be more concerned about the HVAC and air quality in general.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’d be more concerned about the HVAC and air quality in general.

Seconded. I've only gotten takeout at restaurants since this all started, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I could do outdoor dining on a restaurant patio, but it doesn't mean that much to me I guess.

That wouldn't make my top 50 list of things to be concerned about.  Unless you're in a building with some HVAC system from the 60s.  

21 minutes ago, tigerbomb13 said:

You've gotta be kidding me.

3 hours ago, Oblong said:

It's to gut social security. He wants to take away people's health care, empty the social security fund and kill as many Americans as he can. If you don't believe me, watch him.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Oblong said:

Why payroll tax cuts specifically?  

My opinion is b/c that's what funds Social Security and Medicare.   So it's a cut to them under disguise.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

It's to gut social security. He wants to take away people's health care, empty the social security fund and kill as many Americans as he can. If you don't believe me, watch him.

Yes, you beat me to it.   I think it's a dastardly cut to social security & medicare.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

A payroll tax cut does help business a bit as well.

But at what cost? The employees and employers both pay into the SS fund. I'm sure the workers would save a few dollars a week and the employers would save much more. Only millions of seniors would starve and go without meds. No problem for Trump, Russia already promised to support him and his disgusting family. 

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

A payroll tax cut does help business a bit as well.

would you say above/beyond any other type of tax cut, or is it that basically any cut will lower your liability?