chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

I am glad I don't live in the sounds.  They seem to be a few decades behind everybody else.  They probably hate expanded playoffs in baseball, but that might be the only good thing.  That and the weather.  

I am glad my daughter's school offered a digital start.  I was very concerned.  

Posted on a friend’s Facebook page. The best part about this sign is that it screens out the ***holes. 

8AD52651-777F-41E0-9BDD-D7722BAA2C4D.thumb.jpeg.a032a69f235432b125aa3ee23eca8ab2.jpeg

I saw a dude yesterday enter a gas station.... with no mask on (required in the state of michigan).... and also no shoes on.  It was the double shot of anti tyranny.

https://www.wcax.com/2020/08/03/dr-fauci-on-children-returning-to-school-masks-vaccine/

Of course, kids will likely be back in school by then. Fauci says the decision to reopen or close schools will depend on the circumstances on the ground.

"I think to say every child has to go back to school is not really realizing the fact that we have such a diversity of viral activity. There may some sections of the country where the viral activity is so low you don't have to do anything different, you can just send the children back to school," Fauci said.

The webinar comes as schools across the region are planning their reopening protocols. Speaking broadly, Fauci says he supports kids going back to school for two main reasons.

"A, the detrimental effects on children who are kept out of school, psychological and otherwise, and B, the downstream unintended ripple effects that go beyond the children and go to the parents who may need to interrupt their work," he said.

chicago public schools current plan:

hybrid plan: in person two days a week in a smaller pod, one day a week of a five hour remote class, two days a week of remote self learning with no teacher and no remote class.

or you can opt out and choose 100% home learning, which means you get the 5 hour class one day a week and then youre on your own four days a week.

for all grades k-10.  11-12 is 100% at home learning.

we all think the union will strike rather than go back to schools and they'll go back to 100% remote learning like last year, which will mean 2 hours of remote class a day and thats it.  not sure why the teachers cant teach remotely for 5 hours a day.  not sure why the school district hasnt come up with a remote learning plan when everyone knows it is unlikely that we'll be back in the classroom.

welcome to the **** show of chicago.

What type of pay cuts and layoffs are teachers looking at if kids don't go back to school?

I almost typed that out without laughing.  

11 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Dr. Fauci just said that schools and colleges should open.  I understand the arguments about K12, but colleges are a huge mistake.  Colleges will be a horror show.  

K12 based on regional situation makes sense.

But, yes, colleges where you are bringing kids in from around different areas of the country/world?  Oh, boy.....

8 hours ago, Oblong said:

Schools are opening already in the south. We will see how they go.  

Indiana opened last week.  One of the local private high schools opened yesterday.

7 hours ago, Buddha said:

hybrid plan: in person two days a week in a smaller pod, one day a week of a five hour remote class, two days a week of remote self learning with no teacher and no remote class.

or you can opt out and choose 100% home learning, which means you get the 5 hour class one day a week and then youre on your own four days a week.

we all think the union will strike rather than go back to schools and they'll go back to 100% remote learning like last year, which will mean 2 hours of remote class a day and thats it.  not sure why the teachers cant teach remotely for 5 hours a day.  not sure why the school district hasnt come up with a remote learning plan when everyone knows it is unlikely that we'll be back in the classroom.

My wife would notice kids drifting off after a while.  And then you've got home situations where other kids are around and not plugged into a zoom and that's a distraction.

Her district has planned that if it goes 100% remote, teachers still report to the school building.  I don't know how other districts are approaching that.

Where would we be now if we had the adequate leadership in charge back in January/February?

My wife and I are still up into the air.   I want to send and she want to stay (which of course means we are currently leaning towards staying).

We’ve been wondering that much like sports, what happens if there’s an outbreak not in our district but at another school somewhere in the area?  Will all the other school districts follow suit and shut down or do they ignore it go on as normal life.    At the moment, our district plan is in person or virtual and you have to pick one.  You are locked into to virtual until January and can’t switch back.   No talk on what happens if you elect to send and aren’t comfortable or the situation above arises and you want to switch to virtual at a later date.   We may be stuck and have to teach her on our own in that situation.   

8 hours ago, Buddha said:

I can’t understand how this is the best they can do.  

Did they solicit / receive parental input?  

I’m sure a school district as large and varied as Chicago’s has got to be a challenge, but this “plan” sounds so lacking in its depth /preparation/ and follow up, it’s disturbing. It’s not a plan.... it’s throwing hands up in the air. 

Fail. Giant fail. 

I honestly don’t understand how they’re getting away with that, if it’s as you described.

22 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

We’ve been wondering that much like sports, what happens if there’s an outbreak not in our district but at another school somewhere in the area?  Will all the other school districts follow suit and shut down or do they ignore it go on as normal life.    At the moment, our district plan is in person or virtual and you have to pick one.  You are locked into to virtual until January and can’t switch back.   No talk on what happens if you elect to send and aren’t comfortable or the situation above arises and you want to switch to virtual at a later date.   We may be stuck and have to teach her on our own in that situation.   

Or you have an outbreak at one school a few days after a football game?  How does the opponent deal with it?  Or neighboring districts?  Just cases increase in general within the county/region/state?

My wife's district pulls from two counties, one which has been on the naughty list (40% of the kids), the other which has just recorded its first COVID related death (60% of the kids).  They are following the guidelines of the county from which the majority of the kids are coming from.

Generally, the schools in this county follow similar school calendars and protocols.  But this pandemic kind of brings to light the one size doesn't fit all issues.  As well as the fact that within a district, there are building issues which make following district wide guidelines impossible.

The online lock in through the first semester approach sounds similar to things around here as well.  Now, if you opt in to the hybrid option and later decide to go online, that is allowable.

Where would we be now if we had the adequate leadership in charge back in January/February?

44 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

I can’t understand how this is the best they can do.  

Did they solicit / receive parental input?  

I’m sure a school district as large and varied as Chicago’s has got to be a challenge, but this “plan” sounds so lacking in its depth /preparation/ and follow up, it’s disturbing. It’s not a plan.... it’s throwing hands up in the air. 

Fail. Giant fail. 

I honestly don’t understand how they’re getting away with that, if it’s as you described.

they had all summer to come up with a plan and the best they can do is: "you do it".

My son's high school is supposed to start back next week, and I am very concerned that this is what the hallways will still look like.

6 minutes ago, Buddha said:

they had all summer to come up with a plan and the best they can do is: "you do it".

I’ll admit that I don’t know what New Jersey’s larger cities such as Newark or Paterson are doing, but I know locally it’s a much more defined plan  - whether parents are opting to keep their children home 100% or to do the hybrid part time in school and part time at home. In either case the teachers are absolutely going to be teaching a good five hours a day at least. I have no idea if our bigger cities are doing any better than Chicago, but I think I would’ve heard if it was as lacking as your description sounds.  

I’m going to hope that when your child is starting this fall that it will be more thought out, and more challenging/engaging than her spring semester was.  Or maybe some outreach with your PTO might have brainstormed and come up with supplemental ideas. 🤞🏼  Not fair to all these kids. 

I KNOW schools can do remote learning successfully, and even if someone wanted to give schools a “pass” of sorts for the suddenness of last spring (I don’t), they’ve now had months to learn from other systems with better ideas. 

2 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

My son's high school is supposed to start back next week, and I am very concerned that this is what the hallways will still look like.

WT holy h*ll !!

Why would you have all the kids in the hallway at once?

I’m sorry, that is just ridiculously asinine. If I were a parent seeing this, my kid would be home that afternoon, and not going back. 

How stupid. 

5 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

The "October surprise" will be all the schools that have to shut down after mass outbreaks.

4 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

WT holy h*ll !!

Why would you have all the kids in the hallway at once?

I’m sorry, that is just ridiculously asinine. If I were a parent seeing this, my kid would be home that afternoon, and not going back. 

How stupid. 

I think the key word in that tweet is "Georgia".

• Like 1

I have to say one of my favorite parts about these interviews is Swans face. I just love that he can’t keep that “you are as dumb as a brick” look off of his face. 

• Thanks 1

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/lancaster-5th-grade-teacher-bitmoji-classroom/287-c7a45e29-ba04-4276-b179-605e4910b769?fbclid=IwAR3JLmUGQ8ebVoVbEKuPLZxBTF9jAsqBSeJKLfCl5Ab9rlhdxOAfGEK_ySc

Kind of cool.  This teacher put the time in to learn new technology and get her virtual classroom set up to be useful and interesting to the kids.  Watch the video.  It briefly gives an overview of the actual classroom.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Melody said:

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/lancaster-5th-grade-teacher-bitmoji-classroom/287-c7a45e29-ba04-4276-b179-605e4910b769?fbclid=IwAR3JLmUGQ8ebVoVbEKuPLZxBTF9jAsqBSeJKLfCl5Ab9rlhdxOAfGEK_ySc

Kind of cool.  This teacher put the time in to learn new technology and get her virtual classroom set up to be useful and interesting to the kids.  Watch the video.  It briefly gives an overview of the actual classroom.

👏👏👏👏👏

YES!  This is how you can do this. Kudos to her and her school district for putting in the time, money, and enthusiasm.