chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

FYI... did my taxes last night.  Remember they bumped the deadline to July 15 due to the Rona.  I almost forgot.

Having a kid in college helps...

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, smr-nj said:

No one is challenging those statements? 

Not only is no one challenging the statements on Obama-Biden stopping COVID testing, the new test of loyalty to Trump will be the parroting of this same absurd lie in interviews and social media. If you repeat his allegations, you will be deemed sufficiently loyal ... at least for today.

I believe Trump was trying to infer that there maybe was a worse outbreak of the thing that killed.... TWO people... but Obama-Biden stopped the testing so that we didn't know about it.  Probably something he saw on twitter or some idiot whispered in his ear at Mar A Lago... "many people are saying...."

16 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Basically, people are stupid. They are so stupid, our government needs to protect them from themselves. Examples....you must wear a seatbelt. Don't drive drunk. Wear a mask. Why are any of these so difficult? Why do people have to beech and moan about their civil rights? Why is it so freaking hard for these people to understand? 

I hate to say things like this, but I think all the regulation is actually bad for humans overall when considering a long term outlook on evolution.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

FYI... did my taxes last night.  Remember they bumped the deadline to July 15 due to the Rona.  I almost forgot.

I guarantee if you are getting a refund you will get yours before I get mine.  I e filed 3/13/20.

15 hours ago, Melody said:

Good way to keep bugs from flying into your mouth or up your nose.

This is going to sound stupid, but hey, whatever.  When I bicycle, I wear sunglasses even if it is cloudy to keep bugs out of my eyes, and I stick a piece of gum in my mouth, which keeps my mouth closed, which keeps bugs out of my mouth.

Now on the serious side, I have noticed a random person here and there wearing a mask while bicycling on the bike paths that I use, but I would guess it is easily in the single digit percentages.

3 hours ago, pfife said:

The only way it makes sense to me is if they can set up a totally different data reporting shop quickly, which I think they could.

Seems like a job for nerds though, not soldiers.

Yeah, that's the part that makes no sense.  Trump just wants to say "National Guard" because he thinks it makes him sound tough.  

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

I haven't watched the news in a couple of days.  Has the delayed deadline been mentioned?

16 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I hate to say things like this, but I think all the regulation is actually bad for humans overall when considering a long term outlook on evolution.

Obama What GIF

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Casimir said:

This is going to sound stupid, but hey, whatever.  When I bicycle, I wear sunglasses even if it is cloudy to keep bugs out of my eyes,

yellow lenses for cloudy/rainy days. Depending where you ride stones are the bigger worry. Seriously, I don't like to see anyone ride a bike on a two lane without their eyes protected. 

Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

yellow lenses for cloudy/rainy days.

Nah.  Its just the only pair of sunglasses that I have had for, gosh, over 20 years?  I know I had them when I played softball.  Just some cheap pair that has lasted forever and ever and ever.

Why do we refer to one unit of sunglasses as a pair of sunglasses?  The American language is so dumb.

This tracks anecdotally with my (heavy on young parents and school employee) FB feed

3 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Why do we refer to one unit of sunglasses as a pair of sunglasses?

Pairadox.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

This tracks anecdotally with my (heavy on young parents and school employee) FB feed

Ditto.  

30 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Pairadox.

And why are pants plural.  2 legs, I suppose, but then, why is the word shirt singular when it has 2 arms.

I can just see Andy Rooney with this.

36 minutes ago, apabruce said:

And why are pants plural.  2 legs, I suppose, but then, why is the word shirt singular when it has 2 arms.

I can just see Andy Rooney with this.

Now that was a pair of eyebrows.

Somebody on my facebook feed predicts the COVID vaccine will cause infertility problems. I call him on it and get piled on for not allowing him to have an opinion.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

From the scope of a parent in one district and a spouse of a teacher in another district (who is currently in a building meeting to try to figure out how to go forward)..... everyone is still trying to figure out what to do.  Transportation, masks, schedules, class changes, hallway procedures, lunches, online vs in school plans, classroom layout, etc, etc....

I think we can all agree that kids do need the socialization aspect of traditional school.  But what is the best way to try to accomplish it while the country keeps kicking itself in the nuts with its response to something as simple as wearing a mask and socially distance?

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Obama What GIF

I get what JBK is saying...

It would be better for our evolution if all the idiots all offed themselves over their own stupidity...

The problem is all of the collateral damage. Too many other people suffer, innocents, up to and including death, based on other peoples stupidity: drunk driving, gun violence, refusing to wear masks...

Didn't you guys pick that up?

Just now, Casimir said:

From the scope of a parent in one district and a spouse of a teacher in another district (who is currently in a building meeting to try to figure out how to go forward)..... everyone is still trying to figure out what to do.  Transportation, masks, schedules, class changes, hallway procedures, lunches, online vs in school plans, classroom layout, etc, etc....

I think we can all agree that kids do need the socialization aspect of traditional school.  But what is the best way to try to accomplish it while the country keeps kicking itself in the nuts with its response to something as simple as wearing a mask and socially distance?

Like most parents my 2 main concerns during all of this is the safety of my kids and the education they will/are getting.  My wife and I both work full time so it is difficult to do the homeschooling thing, but we have been doing the best we can with it.

I do not need school for them as a babysitter like most people are complaining those who want to send their kids in as claiming...I do want them to get good education.  That was before COVID and it still stands now.  

This is the whole issue to me.  It sucks because if I want them to get a better standard of actual learning they will most likely get that in school with the professionals who know how to educate children.  If I do send them to school am I putting their lives in danger?

We are most likely going to try and figure out how to do the home schooling because their health is the most important thing, but education is not that far behind that.  Trying to find the best options to fill both needs is what everyone is trying to do.

It is not easy at all trying to home school kids and work full time.  We are going to try and figure out a way to make it work, we may have a little more flexibility because of the financial choices we have made in the past.  If we did not have that ability I could see how this would be an even bigger problem to navigate for young parents.

2 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I get what JBK is saying...

It would be better for our evolution if all the idiots all offed themselves over their own stupidity...

The problem is all of the collateral damage. Too many other people suffer, innocents, up to and including death, based on other peoples stupidity: drunk driving, gun violence, refusing to wear masks...

Didn't you guys pick that up?

I thought I explained it pretty well.  You basically got my thoughts on it.  Long term thinking is not something a lot of people take into account when forming opinions.

18 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Somebody on my facebook feed predicts the COVID vaccine will cause infertility problems. I call him on it and get piled on for not allowing him to have an opinion.

I was arguing with a guy from HS who was flouting the Hydroxylwhatever drug and I pointed out the numerous studies downplaying it... he came back with "i talked to a doctor friend of mine..."

I said a half dozen studies from the top medical groups in the world vs a guy from high school who talked to a doctor friend is the perfect summation of facebook dialgue.

18 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

nice cancel culture on your facebook 

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

This is going to sound stupid, but hey, whatever.  When I bicycle, I wear sunglasses even if it is cloudy to keep bugs out of my eyes, and I stick a piece of gum in my mouth, which keeps my mouth closed, which keeps bugs out of my mouth.

Now on the serious side, I have noticed a random person here and there wearing a mask while bicycling on the bike paths that I use, but I would guess it is easily in the single digit percentages.

You can pick up clear plastic safety glasses at places like Menards for under two bucks, which I wear when bicycling at night, because sunglasses makes it too hard to see in the dark.

image.thumb.png.3017dd06ebd7ffffef95c753e860dc09.png