chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

3 minutes ago, Oblong said:

If we had a real President we'd be in so much better shape right now.... but we wouldn't realize it.  We'd just think "This is America, this is how it's always supposed to be, and no  credit would have been given, because you don't give special credit for doing your job.  WHo knows how many times in history something catastrophic was avoided because some unknown person in an administration did their job and processes worked and the public never knew about it?

Imagine a world where in January our government sent top people into China to get a head start on research and what was happening?  IMagine a world where competent people got the message that we needed to develop a good test and make as many as possible  Imagine world where in early February the President goes on national TV and puts a mask on and tells everyone they should start wearing masks in public to help prevent the spread.  The President shows charts and pictures showing how the virus spreads and how wearing a mask will severely cut down the transmission.  They could explain exponential growth.  

Remember when the GOP lost their **** over 2 Ebola deaths?  It'd be like that.

Just now, mtutiger said:

this given how often we the problem is reduced down to an assumption that the population will not respond or accept restrictions;

The problem in American is not unwillingness to do, it is unwillingness to believe. If you don't see the right question you will be left trying to solve the wrong problem.

• Like 1

There's a huge vacuum and that void gets filled in with internet memes and "things you heard".

Reading a facebook thread yesterday where a Trumpie Vet friend posted a pic of the POTUS with the mask, basically saying "There, you see it.  wear the mask."  He's a trumpie but very pro mask, just retired from the marines, doing contract work for DoD... reading the thread a lady, who looks normal by the way, still thinks it's a conspiracy. This is a church goer, from her profile page.  She asks "Why do they have to do the comprehensive swab?  Why can't they just do a cheek swab?  Beacuse they want your DNA!"  Then she goes on about biblical end times and cashless society being a mark of the beast, etc.    This is what a significant portion of our population firmly believe... This is all part of God's master plan and he's using Trump to fulfill it.  It's damn scary.

13 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Fat head? I think he may take that as a compliment after some of the things he's been called.

Meanwhile, a neighbor called Whitmer the C word for the mask mandate. Even if I agreed with him (which I don't) I wouldn't call her that. This coronavirus should be a memory of the past by now. Trump totally screwed it up by his inactions. And we all knew it was coming, just like a hurricane. We had weeks to prepare but he was too busy golfing and fund raising instead of preparing the best he could. And a real leader would have been seen in public for months wearing a mask, properly. I told my neighbor, go ahead, don't wear a mask. But don't come crying to me when the entire state gets shut down again. Friggin' idiots.

"Conscientious" is the only accurate c-word I can think of for this situation

4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The problem in American is not unwillingness to do, it is unwillingness to believe. If you don't see the right question you will be left trying to solve the wrong problem.

And it is the responsibility of leaders at all levels to counteract that.

Suffice it to say, they haven't done very well, especially at the national level.

I'll admit that when I go into my local gas station to get a beverage and snacks for my son for our daily ride I don't wear a mask.  I'm in and out in less than a minute, the guys are behind the big plexiglas, etc.   Thursday they put a sign up because of the new mandate so I wear mine in now to respect them.....

Typical guy in front of me bitching about the rule... "What about my personal ******* freedom dude...."

That sentence is all it.... it gets repeated 10,000 times a day by dudes just like him.... had his pack of chew, his monster drink, and sausage stick and he was ready to go... got into his truck and he was ready to rock and roll.... pretty sure some Oakley's were on the front seat.

There was a guy in Meijer without a mask. I got outside and see a beat up Ford F150 with a big decal of Trump urinating on Whitmer. I knew right then and there this was the unmasked guy's truck. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

There's a huge vacuum and that void gets filled in with internet memes and "things you heard".

Reading a facebook thread yesterday where a Trumpie Vet friend posted a pic of the POTUS with the mask, basically saying "There, you see it.  wear the mask."  He's a trumpie but very pro mask, just retired from the marines, doing contract work for DoD... reading the thread a lady, who looks normal by the way, still thinks it's a conspiracy. This is a church goer, from her profile page.  She asks "Why do they have to do the comprehensive swab?  Why can't they just do a cheek swab?  Beacuse they want your DNA!"  Then she goes on about biblical end times and cashless society being a mark of the beast, etc.    This is what a significant portion of our population firmly believe... This is all part of God's master plan and he's using Trump to fulfill it.  It's damn scary.

I have a friend who insists that Covid-19 is man-made and is doing exactly what it was intended to do.  George Soros is involved.  Several of his friends agree with him.  These are not stupid people.  You can have intelligent conversations with them  on other other topics, but they get crazy when it comes to politics.    

My favorite is that it's Bill Gates because.... he wants more money..?

The richest man in the world who is giving away his billions concocted a death virus in order to wipe out people and somehow... make money off it it.

The human species has a deep innate need to understand 'reasons' why the life situation it finds himself in is what it is.  Its life is an effect, thus there must be a cause, and any belief system regarding that cause that brings psychological comfort and self - justification to the believer is going to be a powerful draw. Meanwhile the recent, rational part of our brain is a relatively recent graft onto an earlier form of consciousness with which it maintains only uneasy alliance.

I ask them how is he going to make money if there will be fewer people alive to buy his stuff, but it doesn't register.  

17 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The human species has a deep innate need to understand 'reasons' why the life situation it finds himself in is what it is.  Its life is an effect, thus there must be a cause, and any belief system regarding that cause that brings psychological comfort and self - justification to the believer is going to be a powerful draw. Meanwhile the recent, rational part of our brain is a relatively recent graft onto an earlier form of consciousness with which it maintains only uneasy alliance.

A big piece of the appeal of religion.

• Thanks 1

Gave blood and have found out I tested negative for COVID anitbodies.

I am not currently part of the herd immunity solution.

I have family members, college educated, that insist that "the media" has blown this entire covid 19 out of proportion to make Trump look bad and get democrats back in power. The media has been grossly exaggerating the infected and death numbers, and really this is very similar to a normal flu season aside from the affects on the elderly. And the correct course would be to isolate them and the rest of the economy go back to normal. 

I point out that far higher numbers of people from all age groups are passing away from this? And no it's the media trying to scare us, it's all normal. Don't believe the numbers "they" give you. They deny hospitals are at capacity in hot spots as well. You can show them video and and they still don't believe it.

Some of these Trumpers are like a cult, you can give them absolute proof and they still deny it.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

they appear to be having problems staffing in A^2. The SO and I have had appts cancelled twice since March.

9 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

I have family members, college educated, that insist that "the media" has blown this entire covid 19 out of proportion to make Trump look bad and get democrats back in power. The media has been grossly exaggerating the infected and death numbers, and really this is very similar to a normal flu season aside from the affects on the elderly. And the correct course would be to isolate them and the rest of the economy go back to normal. 

I point out that far higher numbers of people from all age groups are passing away from this? And no it's the media trying to scare us, it's all normal. Don't believe the numbers "they" give you. They deny hospitals are at capacity in hot spots as well. You can show them video and and they still don't believe it.

Some of these Trumpers are like a cult, you can give them absolute proof and they still deny it.

I had an awesome similar exchange on twitter with a self-certified epidemiologist, here's paraphrased:

epidemiologist:   COVID is like the flu

Me:  Many more people have died from covid than the flu in a shorter amount of time

epidemiologist:  How do you know?  The CDC doesn't even measure flu deaths

THAT'S A DOUBLE WOW CHIEF

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

they appear to be having problems staffing in A^2. The SO and I have had appts cancelled twice since March.

I had to go to Bloomfield hills donation center, which is the 3rd closest to me, and they only had one open time slot.

The nurse was explaining that they can only take a fraction of the donors that they used to because of social distancing rules, so they are both at capacity and low on blood.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Same for my wife & I.

I need to give blood during this working from home stuff.... I clicked a link and the nearest facility was far away and the time window wasn't compatible... my company is very good for comp time for stuff like that.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

My favorite is that it's Bill Gates because.... he wants more money..?

The richest man in the world who is giving away his billions concocted a death virus in order to wipe out people and somehow... make money off it it.

Specifically giving away his billions to help eradicate disease, which make it even richer.

26 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

FWIW, Joe West the major league umpire went to college, which probably says more about college than it does about Joe West.