chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

12 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Here’s an odd story.

Riteaid Pharmacies are doing Covid testing in about 5 NJ locations....One that happens to be in my town. Evidently, a woman who got a Covid testing through that drive-through facility, after it was done and she was still driving in her car, she passed out, fainted.  She hit a curb, careened across the way through a parking lot of a business, and then over some logs and into an outdoor dining area of a local restaurant. God must’ve been with all of us yesterday, because we had a “tropical storm“, so that there was no outdoor dining at this restaurant that day. Otherwise she would’ve mowed into about a few tables. ( who knows how many people)

Evidently, she was OK ,and refused any treatment (a family member picked her up because her car wasn’t drive-able).

Still waiting for the local rumors to find out whether she passed out because of the actual test with the swab way up there in the nasal cavity, or whether she was sick perhaps with Covid and that’s why she passed out. Nobody knows

Likely low blood sugar. Any sort of injury or even just getting scared can kick in your endorphins, causing you to pass out if your blood sugar is low. Guessing it was just a minute or two after the the test? Pretty rare that a swab would cause that, it's usually a shot or something. But it can happen. 

I remember that once happened to Will Rhymes after getting hit by a pitch. Jogged to first and then suddenly collapsed. Probably the same reason. 

3 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Likely low blood sugar. Any sort of injury or even just getting scared can kick in your endorphins, causing you to pass out if your blood sugar is low. Guessing it was just a minute or two after the the test? Pretty rare that a swab would cause that, it's usually a shot or something. But it can happen. 

I remember that once happened to Will Rhymes after getting hit by a pitch. Jogged to first and then suddenly collapsed. Probably the same reason. 

Yes, had to be just a couple minutes after. 

Glad she was ok, but man, could have been a real tragedy

Had to make sure it matched his jacket. But I'll take that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

We aren’t going back this year. That’s official. I went in last week to clear out some of my stuff and Wednesday go in to get everything.   They are redesigning everything to fit a new environment.  They were halfway into making it “open” which everyone hated and obviously that’s not going to work now.  Have no idea what building I will even be in.  

Hearing rumors we aren't going back this year either but haven't heard anything about making it less open.    My desk was within 6 ft of 2 people the entire day.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Same with my org.  Just spent a ton of money a year ago to make the office open.

Oops.

We moved offices to a smaller office and went open.   Open is less sq ft, so it will be a challenge to social distance when the space allotment was for an open office design 

We aren't going back either.  Research can just as easily be done at home, but teaching is another story.  Online teaching is not same as in-person teaching.  

working from home is fine for now.... but it's not sustainable.  You miss a lot of creativity.  People don't pay attention in meetings.  Everyone's multi tasking.  You don't get the spontaneity  of 8 people in a room shooting the **** and an idea forms and you run with it.  At least in a large org like mine that's how I see it... everybody's saying the right things for now to be polite.

My friend is a pediatrician and she told me today she read in one of her journals that the fitness tracking apps have recorded a 30% decrease in steps... I believe that.  I get more stairs in now as my office is downstairs and I'm always coming up and down checking on my son, a few times an hour..... but step wise it's sad.

4 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Cousin specified that a second wave involves a reintroduction. Since it never went away, you may get a second peak, but it is the same wave.

So is the idea that it goes away completely, then comes back?

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

It's about time...

If he suddenly makes this his new look, I think he could benefit. If his base sees him wearing this, they might fall in line because they think he looks cool and they want to look cool like that, too. That may slow the spread versus what's expected now, and if that happens he'll get the credit, and opponents would have to give the devil his due.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If he suddenly makes this his new look, I think he could benefit. If his base sees him wearing this, they might fall in line because they think he looks cool and they want to look cool like that, too. That may slow the spread versus what's expected now, and if that happens he'll get the credit, and opponents would have to give the devil his due.

Of course, it also helps him to be flanked by military people.

15 minutes ago, tigerbomb13 said:

Over 15,000 new cases in Florida

Staggering...

Be careful of those Florida numbers. A big backlog, a lot of negative cases were announced today too.

Pull the mask up over your nose you fat-head.

I think his fears about the appearance of the mask were unfounded.  He doesn't look any more stupid with the mask on than he does without it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Be careful of those Florida numbers. A big backlog, a lot of negative cases were announced today too.

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I know.

I live here, and have been immersed in the numbers for four months now.

Just be careful of reporting only positive cases, when 80K+ negative tests were also reported today. Today's 15K number is high, but relative to previous days with higher percent positive, today's high number was largely a result of a backlog being unleashed.

83K negatives today... Previous high I could find was 52K. Lowest percent positive in the state since June 25.

26 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I know.

I live here, and have been immersed in the numbers for four months now.

Just be careful of reporting only positive cases, when 80K+ negative tests were also reported today. Today's 15K number is high, but relative to previous days with higher percent positive, today's high number was largely a result of a backlog being unleashed.

83K negatives today... Previous high I could find was 52K. Lowest percent positive in the state since June 25.

My bad for getting fooled by fake news.  You should go to Disney World or a crowded beach bar to celebrate the great job Florida is doing of containing the virus.   You guys are also lucky to have a leader like Ron DeSantis pressing all the right buttons and keeping everyone safe.   

• Like 1