chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

My commute, during normalities is 14 minutes from door to desk.  Now it’s a trip downstairs.  

Cases down a bit to 343 in today’s Michigan report, but I also wonder if it being the day after a holiday affects that total. Today was also the first day that zero deaths were recorded since mid-March. 

Co-worker on Facebook had a nice little party. In one pic I counted 19 people, adults and children, standing shoulder to shoulder with no masks for the pic.

I remember my 2 hour Chicago commutes, from Lombard and later Naperville/Aurora downtown. It didn’t matter if I drove or took the train still two hours. When I did traffic, we had a nickname for where I-88/290/and 294 all came together. We called it the Hillside Strangler. 

The phrase never made it on the air.

10 minutes ago, Oblong said:

My commute, during normalities is 14 minutes from door to desk.  Now it’s a trip downstairs.  

I don't even have to go downstairs.  My office is in the room adjacent to my bedroom.  

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

The only other explanation I can imagine is that people have become dramatically worse human beings this year

I'd go with this

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

I think this Fourth of July was the worst one since I've moved here. I could swear there were twice as much fireworks as in previous years, and while they used to peter out after 10pm, they were still going strong around midnight when I turned in.

Plus, we have new, young neighbors next door. They had a party, which was fine for a while because I didn't hear much music and I didn't hear them talk much from inside my house.

At least until two in the morning, when I woke up to the sound of them tossing firecrackers. Couldn't get back to sleep, so I went downstairs and watched a movie and some Korean baseball. I was there until almost 5am. The entire time, I heard loud talking, raucous laughing (scream laughing even), and the occasional firecracker and even M80. Only after dawn started breaking did they begin to shut down the party.

What does this have to do with coronavirus? I believe people were acting out more than usual, louder than usual, later than usual, because they're still chafing until the months-long pressure to quarantine. The only other explanation I can imagine is that people have become dramatically worse human beings this year versus last year, independent of COVID.

I was invited to a fairly large family gathering last night.  I declined.  I saw the photos.  There were no masks or social distancing.  Most of these people can't stand Trump and were previously concerned about the virus.  It seems they are just tired of staying home.   My niece is getting married in September.  Poor planning.  

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

I think this Fourth of July was the worst one since I've moved here. I could swear there were twice as much fireworks as in previous years, and while they used to peter out after 10pm, they were still going strong around midnight when I turned in.

Plus, we have new, young neighbors next door. They had a party, which was fine for a while because I didn't hear much music and I didn't hear them talk much from inside my house.

At least until two in the morning, when I woke up to the sound of them tossing firecrackers. Couldn't get back to sleep, so I went downstairs and watched a movie and some Korean baseball. I was there until almost 5am. The entire time, I heard loud talking, raucous laughing (scream laughing even), and the occasional firecracker and even M80. Only after dawn started breaking did they begin to shut down the party.

What does this have to do with coronavirus? I believe people were acting out more than usual, louder than usual, later than usual, because they're still chafing until the months-long pressure to quarantine. The only other explanation I can imagine is that people have become dramatically worse human beings this year versus last year, independent of COVID.

I would be out there early in the AM running a lawnmower, stereo, leaf blower and anything else noisy. Inconsiderate people tick me off. Did you even think of calling the cops on them?

2 hours ago, tigerbomb13 said:

Cases down a bit to 343 in today’s Michigan report, but I also wonder if it being the day after a holiday affects that total. Today was also the first day that zero deaths were recorded since mid-March. 

Give it a couple of weeks. I predict the state locking down again. Our hospitals can only handle so many patients. Mandatory masks!!

Michigan hospitals have something like 8% of the number of patients hospitalized with COVID as they had 3 months ago.

I can easily see adjustments to the re-opening to the lockdown plan based on the increase of positive tests last week.  But any change(s) to the plan isn't because MI hospitals are likely to be at risk of being unable to handle patients in the next two weeks to a month.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Michigan hospitals have something like 8% of the number of patients hospitalized with COVID as they had 3 months ago.

I can easily see adjustments to the re-opening to the lockdown plan based on the increase of positive tests last week.  But any change(s) to the plan isn't because MI hospitals are likely to be at risk of being unable to handle patients in the next two weeks to a month.

Yeah, we'll see how it's going in Michigan in a couple of weeks. Other states have hospitals that are just about full now. We need a nationwide mandatory mask wearing law in all indoor stores.

I still think MI is in good shape.  Our increases are from our very low points after being locked down for awhile so it’s kind of an unrealistic baseline to measure from.   I was a little worried they’d be higher by now to be honest based on what I’ve seen and heard.   

I’m content with letting the red states be our guinea pigs now.  We did our part in March and April and sacrificed to allow further education on treatment.  

13 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I still think MI is in good shape.  Our increases are from our very low points after being locked down for awhile so it’s kind of an unrealistic baseline to measure from.   I was a little worried they’d be higher by now to be honest based on what I’ve seen and heard.   

I’m content with letting the red states be our guinea pigs now.  We did our part in March and April and sacrificed to allow further education on treatment.  

I am just hoping the low fatalities we continue to see are not all just because it's younger people becoming infected but that at least some part is because treatment methodology is improving patient survival. Given that in bad cases it can take 4-6wks or sometimes even more for this to run its course I guess we still are not going to know that for awhile.

13 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I am just hoping the low fatalities we continue to see are not all just because it's younger people becoming infected but that at least some part is because treatment methodology is improving patient survival. Given that in bad cases it can take 4-6wks or sometimes even more for this to run its course I guess we still are not going to know that for awhile.

I've seen several reports of Italian doctors saying the virus strain is getting weaker. Maybe we have that same strain?

https://dailytimes.com.pk/630385/coronavirus-is-weakening-could-disappear-on-its-own-italian-doctor/

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, we'll see how it's going in Michigan in a couple of weeks. Other states have hospitals that are just about full now. We need a nationwide mandatory mask wearing law in all indoor stores.

I doubt in a few weeks that hospitals in MI will be packed after a near 4 month run where we steadily declined for 3/12 months and have held steady the last 2 weeks.  I don't think MI is going to have a 2 week run up like what happened mid March.  It seems unlikely.

That is all I am saying.

I'm at the bar right now, well it's a restaurant with a bar. They have half their inside seating closed but have more outside seating now. They have been trying to keep everyone 6 feet away. I was here Wednesday and you didn't need a mask but tonight they asked you to wear a mask when you weren't seated at your table. I dont have a problem with this a lot of places dont care and are packed with people. I feel bad for the places that are trying. I'm at Ironwood grill in Plymouth if you were curious.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I doubt in a few weeks that hospitals in MI will be packed after a near 4 month run where we steadily declined for 3/12 months and have held steady the last 2 weeks.  I don't think MI is going to have a 2 week run up like what happened mid March.  It seems unlikely.

That is all I am saying.

Yeah, it would be great if we don't have a crush of hospitalizations in Michigan.. And it would be great for the rest of the country to get their act together. I wanna see sports and we'll never have them at the rate we're going now. And I guess a winter vacation may be out this year? We would have to book in the next few weeks and I'm not sure if planes will be safe. Heck, we're not even allowed in some countries.

People still calling into C-Span bumping their gums about "herd immunity" 

more like I heard stupidity chief

18 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I would be out there early in the AM running a lawnmower, stereo, leaf blower and anything else noisy. Inconsiderate people tick me off. Did you even think of calling the cops on them?

its chicago.  the cops were busy trying to stop the rioting in the loop and the murders in the neighborhoods.  

worst fourth of july weekend for violence since the early 90s.

22 hours ago, Casimir said:

I have a 45 minute commute through rural NW Ohio.  I'll take the scanning back and forth for wildlife scurrying about over SD to LA or even US-23 (which probably isn't too bad) any day of the week.

But walking two blocks to work in southern California?  Yeah, that'd be a damn nice commute.

id rather walk from san diego to LA for work than live in rural Ohio.

to each their own.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

id rather walk from san diego to LA for work than live in rural Ohio.

to each their own.

Charming folks doing the farming in NW Ohio. They have been fighting restrictions on their use of phosphate tooth and nail for years that have been trying really hard to kill the people of Toledo by creating toxic algae in Lake Erie that poison the municipal water supply. I mean it's one thing to think some environmentalists are too extreme, it's another to fight change when what you are doing is shutting down the water supply to a quarter million people.

• Thanks 1