chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

By the way I didn’t create the American Girl thing. I wish I could take credit for it but I just found it on a friends Facebook page yesterday.

On 7/3/2020 at 8:12 AM, Oblong said:

I see a lot of conservatives complaining that everyone is leaving CA and moving to TX and AZ and other red states and turning them blue... like that’s something that’s unfair.  Maybe this is their way of making TX unpleasant. 

people move to texas from california because texas has jobs.  

because texas has cheap land and no state income tax and a friendly supreme court.

as an aside, people i know who live in texas complain about all those californians moving there and changing things.  "you moved here because its cheaper and more business friendly and you immediately want us to become more like the place you left!"

coloradoans say similar things.

the basic truth is that no one likes people from california.  something we can all get behind.

4 minutes ago, Buddha said:

as an aside, people i know who live in texas complain about all those californians moving there and changing things.  "you moved here because its cheaper and more business friendly and you immediately want us to become more like the place you left!"

coloradoans say similar things.

the basic truth is that no one likes people from california.  something we can all get behind.

Their economy also benefits from people moving there.  It's the same type of argument, I hear about Massachusetts people moving to New Hampshire.  

Just now, tiger337 said:

Their economy also benefits from people moving there.  It's the same type of argument, I hear about Massachusetts people moving to New Hampshire.  

or rhode island....or maine...

nobody likes massholes.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

or rhode island....or maine...

nobody likes massholes.

We can't help it if people are jealous.  

Or people simply moving out in the boonies “to get away from it all” then complain when others do the same.  As PJ ORourke said about overpopulation hysterics... “there’s just enough of me but too many of you”

34 minutes ago, Buddha said:

because texas has cheap land and no state income tax and a friendly supreme court.

Only part of the story. Texas also has commodities (ie. Massive O+G Reserves) that other states do not.

My job has more to do with this than the Texas Supreme Court does.

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Only part of the story. Texas also has commodities (ie. Massive O+G Reserves) that other states do not.

My job has more to do with this than the Texas Supreme Court does.

well yes, it would require more than one sentence to describe all of the economic benefits that moving a business from california to texas entails.

i imagine more businesses move from cali to texas for the favorable business climate and lower tax rates than because of the proximity to the permian basin.

Just now, Buddha said:

well yes, it would require more than one sentence to describe all of the economic benefits that moving a business from california to texas entails.

i imagine more businesses move from cali to texas for the favorable business climate and lower tax rates than because of the proximity to the permian basin.

The favorable business climate and lower tax rates are made possible in large part by the state sitting on top of vast amounts of natural resources that other states do not have.

10 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The favorable business climate and lower tax rates are made possible in large part by the state sitting on top of vast amounts of natural resources that other states do not have.

im not so sure thats completely true.

other states have similar policies and do not sit on barrels of oil, like florida or georgia or even indiana.

although im sure it helps.

29 minutes ago, Buddha said:

im not so sure thats completely true.

other states have similar policies and do not sit on barrels of oil, like florida or georgia or even indiana.

although im sure it helps.

I said "in large part" for a reason... it's not the only factor, but O+G is a pretty big factor in the quality of life delivered here versus overall tax burden.

Without it, the amount of revenue Texas' government would take in would be significantly lower and, absent new sources of revenue, would result in a lower quality of life here.

• Thanks 1

As an aside, I've spent time in a number of states over the years (fortunate to have as many internships as I did in college)...

This is the only state I've lived in where people are generally unhappy when the price of gas at the pump falls.

3 hours ago, pfife said:

honestly for me, it might be "independant thinker"

yup, that was perfect.  

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

curiously enough, CA and TX have generated almost exactly the same number of jobs from 1/1/2010 up through this March - 2.7 million each.

It would be more interesting to know the average salary of those jobs. Well you'd have to dig deeper than that, salaries would almost certainly be higher on ave in CA, the comparison would have to be adjusted for COL.

22 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

curiously enough, CA and TX have generated almost exactly the same number of jobs from 1/1/2010 up through this March - 2.7 million each.

It would be more interesting to know the average salary of those jobs. Well you'd have to dig deeper than that, salaries would almost certainly be higher on ave in CA, the comparison would have to be adjusted for COL.

one would hope the salary in california would be larger considering the state takes so much of it.

20 minutes ago, Buddha said:

one would hope the salary in california would be larger considering the state takes so much of it.

Is it how much California takes, or is it how much the real estate market takes?

Granted, I'm not familiar with taxation in California, but I do know that my 1800 sqft house in the DFW Suburbs (appraised in the low 200s) would sell for orders of magnitude higher in, say, Brea or La Habra or Fullerton.

EDIT: Doing a cursory search of comps on Zillow, it appears a similar house in OC would come with a much lower property tax rate.

The ideal year round climate is probably the biggest draw for people to move to Southern California.    It doesn’t take that long to realize that this along with quality Mexican food and surfing are really the only things that are better than anywhere else.   

The traffic is horrendous. The cost of housing and what you get for it is terrible.  Taxes are ridiculous.  The public schools are bad.  Most of the people aren’t super friendly, which is actually for the best since many are super douchey.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The ideal year round climate is probably the biggest draw for people to move to Southern California.    It doesn’t take that long to realize that this along with quality Mexican food and surfing are really the only things that are better than anywhere else.   

The traffic is horrendous. The cost of housing and what you get for it is terrible.  Taxes are ridiculous.  The public schools are bad.  Most of the people aren’t super friendly, which is actually for the best since many are super douchey.  

Thanks for info. I spent six months in Westchester when I was in college but, luckily, it was company housing... never had to think about costs beyond gas or groceries really 

I've wondered for a long time how people can afford homes in SoCal. The prices are beyond ridiculous 

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Is it how much California takes, or is it how much the real estate market takes?

Granted, I'm not familiar with taxation in California, but I do know that my 1800 sqft house in the DFW Suburbs (appraised in the low 200s) would sell for orders of magnitude higher in, say, Brea or La Habra or Fullerton.

EDIT: Doing a cursory search of comps on Zillow, it appears a similar house in OC would come with a much lower property tax rate.

There are no actual houses in the low $200’s anywhere in SoCal.  Honestly, you are hard pressed to find anything in the low $400’s.   Possibly some 1br apartments that have been converted to condos could be found in sketchy areas between $350-$400k.   What you get for $600k in LA/OC is probably equal to $200 or $250k in most other places.  

20 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’ve been to LA a few times, and I have always been struck by how cold people seem. It must be in the regional DNA.

19 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

There are no actual houses in the low $200’s anywhere in SoCal.  Honestly, you are hard pressed to find anything in the low $400’s.   Possibly some 1br apartments that have been converted to condos could be found in sketchy areas between $350-$400k.   What you get for $600k in LA/OC is probably equal to $200 or $250k in most other places.  

Right. Sounds about what I would have expected.

Debating tax levels makes for a better political debate, but I suspect the difference in cost of housing is probably a big driver in Californians moving to (invading?) states like Texas, Nevada, Montana, etc as well. And that changes in tax policy may not fix that discrepancy 

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’ve been to LA a few times, and I have always been struck by how cold people seem. It must be in the regional DNA.

LA attracts huge amounts of self absorbed people from all over who relocate thinking they are going to be the next big thing.      In a way, LA is doing a favor to the rest of the country by taking away some of their more annoying dbags.  

• Like 1