chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

When you are wrong in a very public, very embarrassing manner, the correct thing to do is double down on your wrongness.

Correcting yourself is what weak people do.

I see a lot of conservatives complaining that everyone is leaving CA and moving to TX and AZ and other red states and turning them blue... like that’s something that’s unfair.  Maybe this is their way of making TX unpleasant. 

As if anyone's primary, secondary or tertiary reason to move would be to vote in a new state. People move for various reasons, voting in a new state isn't anywhere near the top ten reasons to do so.

I am also old enough to remember conservative commentators ridiculing democrats for predominantly living in cities and diluting their votes.

5 hours ago, Yoda said:

Interesting study. They're claiming the new strain (G614) is "3 to 9 times more infectious" than the older strain (D614) due to the fact that it's more likely to target the upper-respiratory area (nose, sinus, throat) than the lungs. That makes it spread faster.

They also found that it isn't any more dangerous. That makes sense as attacking the lungs is what killed most people early on.

That might explain why the death numbers still aren't rising. If this continues to be the case, this virus got a whole lot less scary. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/health/coronavirus-mutation-spread-study/index.html

I also have to  think that the understanding that blood clotting is what drives organ failure has been important.  It's not a new drug discovery and doesn't kill the virus directly, so the use of anticoagulants hasn't generated headlines but may be saving many lives. It's also not going to get 'trialed' because it's a treatment that is unethical to withhold so we are not going to see  much in the way of papers with comparative numbers about it to drive reporting.

The collection of unremarkable incremental steps often flies under the radar of the big breakthroughs but they can still be significant.

46 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I see a lot of conservatives complaining that everyone is leaving CA and moving to TX and AZ and other red states and turning them blue... like that’s something that’s unfair.  Maybe this is their way of making TX unpleasant. 

I'd guess that most of the bellyaching is from those who cheered on Governor Goodhair when he went on his job-poaching junkets to California and Illinois and New York back in the early 2010s...

49 minutes ago, Oblong said:

It's almost as bad as all of the people in Trump's administration who use Florida addresses to vote but don't actually stay in Florida. 

51 minutes ago, Oblong said:

People leave CA because they can't afford to stay there. The state's economic success drives a *market* for high income employment, which in turn drives the housing *market* to high prices.  Odd thing for Conservatives to be complaining about.

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'd guess that most of the bellyaching is from those who cheered on Governor Goodhair when he went on his job-poaching junkets to California and Illinois and New York back in the early 2010s...

Someone forgot to tell him that they would also be voting...

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

huh, Stan told us to do exactly that, and we did and now they bish.   Typical

my favorite part of that Oblong is the complete and total lack of introspection about their appeal to voters.   I wonder if they've considered less crappy policies and less dip****s on the ballot hmmmm

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

that's true, but overselling is also something that undercuts credibility. When someone else proves some overqualified number is false, it provides people the excuse to disregard everything they hear an 'expert' say.  This case isn't a hill I would die on but it's one of those "it's the principle of the thing" things. :wink:

Just put approximate ( ~ ) in front of all the %'s. They're close enough after testing on this to be understandable and not lead to a loss of credibility.

4 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Just put approximate ( ~ ) in front of all the %'s. They're close enough after testing on this to be understandable and not lead to a loss of credibility.

sure - that would be a better way to have done it. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

As if anyone's primary, secondary or tertiary reason to move would be to vote in a new state. People move for various reasons, voting in a new state isn't anywhere near the top ten reasons to do so ...

I don't know.

I'm thinking of retiring (from a "safe" Dem state, NJ) to a swing state where my vote counts more (PA, NC, Florida at the top of my list ...). It's definitely in my top 5 reasons...

Although after Trump is gone maybe that drops back out of my top 10...? But right now? Definitely high on my list.

Definitely.

I would love to go back to a GOP debate in February 2016 and tell all the guys on stage, outside of Jeb and Kasich “you all are going to become Trumps *****”. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish other senators would address Rubio and Cruz formally on the senate floor as Little Marco and Lying Ted and see how much they whine about it. 

460 new Michigan cases. Down from the 543 we had yesterday, but still higher than earlier in the week. 

12 minutes ago, tigerbomb13 said:

460 new Michigan cases. Down from the 543 we had yesterday, but still higher than earlier in the week. 

Deeply concerning that our cases are going down.  

According to the latest guidance from the Federal government’s highest authority, cases should be rapidly increasing based on the fact that we are testing much more than any other country.    I hope Whitmer can get this decrease under control before it becomes a problem.   

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Deeply concerning that our cases are going down.  

According to the latest guidance from the Federal government’s highest authority, cases should be rapidly increasing based on the fact that we are testing much more than any other country.    I hope Whitmer can get this decrease under control before it becomes a problem.   

“Slooooow the testing dowwwwwn!”