chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

1 hour ago, tigerbomb13 said:

Oh. My. God. Show some ******* leadership for once! You said the same thing in March! 

What?! Sticking your fingers in your ears and singing "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA isn't leadership?

Who knew?

US with 50K new cases today.

Washtenaw county had bottomed out at 14 cases the week of 6/6. Up to 60 this week.

not particularly well organized but otherwise excellent summary of autopsy findings on CV-19 deaths in WaPo.

Short version: Platelet generating cells (megakaryocytes) showing up all over the body where they shouldn't be  - this induces micro-clotting which is probably the driver for the various organ failures seen. The organs are found with high levels of micro-clotting: lungs, liver, kidneys. 

Neurological damage appears consistent with oxygen deprivation from compromised lung function and micro strokes associated with micro clotting.

Conclusions: get people on oxygen sooner, even those without apparent serious symptoms; use blood thinners on hospitalized patients.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/07/01/coronavirus-autopsies-findings/

Its just gonna go away on its own soon

Beaumont says they came up with a saliva test in 45 min that’s cheap and accurate.  Could be a big step

Something just stinks about all of this. 51k new cases in the US today. We NEVER REACHED 40k in the first wave. And yes, a lot of people stopped wearing masks and social distancing. But a lot of them still are.

Back in march we were doing none of that. Concerts, sporting events, ect. And we still didn't hit 40k. And the daily deaths continues to decrease. It just doesn't add up. What am I missing? 

edit: I want to say its an inside job, an attempt to kill Trumps re-election attempt. If that's the case, disregard. Nothing to see here. As you were. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, chasfh said:

So, a sudden shift just in the last week, maybe two:

For a couple of months the compliance of mask wearing in Chicago grocery stores had been pert near 100%. Maybe a straggling jackass customer here and there, but otherwise, pretty universal.

Went to a couple of stores today, Mariano's. First one, I counted eight employees who wore their mask either under their nose or on only their chin, and one other employee working the aisles wearing no mask at all. Two of the shirkers, with their mask on the chin, were leaning over a counter talking maybe two feet from one another. I don't think they were related and live together.

Went to the second Mariano's to get an item the first one was out of, and there were maybe five mask shirkers just within the beeline path I walked in and out of the store.

That's a leading indicator: Illinois is going to get slammed too, and probably soon.

which marianos?

the one i go to on lawrence and ravenswood is pretty good.  i dont see anyone there without a mask.  the little grocery store near my house wont let you in without a mask.

now, the park across the street from me is chock full of people playing volleyball and kids in the playground (which is supposed to be closed but never was and is always full of unmasked kids) without any masks.

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

Something just stinks about all of this. 51k new cases in the US today. We NEVER REACHED 40k in the first wave. And yes, a lot of people stopped wearing masks and social distancing. But a lot of them still are.

Back in march we were doing none of that. Concerts, sporting events, ect. And we still didn't hit 40k. And the daily deaths continues to decrease. It just doesn't add up. What am I missing? 

edit: I want to say its an inside job, an attempt to kill Trumps re-election attempt. If that's the case, disregard. Nothing to see here. As you were. 

well, a couple of things.

1) There is evidence that the version of the virus going around now may be more infectious.

2) don't forget, it was *really* bad in the places it hit first, infections rates we are seeing now are still lower than what hit NYC and even Det.

3) the lockdowns worked to check the spread but didn't wait to push the background down low enough. In places that it hit hard, discipline was better because people took it more seriously and there was better public support, the background rate in some places was much lower when people started moving around more again. - NY, NJ, MA and MI and a few others show this outbreak was not inevitable. Even here we are seeing case loads nearly doubling but it was from such a low level it *should * be possible to contain it, though if the public here gets stupid it will still blow up here again despite having gotten it under control once.

4) the good new is so far - because it's spreading in younger people, the results have not been nearly as catastrophic as the first pass's incubation in nursing homes. But if this round breaks back into older populations the death toll will almost certainly get worse.

5) they are learning some treatment tricks: Blood thinners and steroids are probably saving lives that might have been lost in March.

6 hours ago, Yoda said:

Testing availability has expanded considerably in that time.

2 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Testing availability has expanded considerably in that time.

Yeah, that is a big factor. And we are seeing it in the data regarding the ages of the people testing positive. Testing was so limited at first, that you had to be close to hospitalization or high risk (like old people) to qualify to even get a test. Young people just with exposure to confirmed Covid cases or manageable symptoms were being turned away from testing and being told “you probably have it, but a positive/negative test isn’t going to change your treatment, so you aren’t getting a test.”

Now, any workplace that has an employee test positive ends up testing every employee.

What percentage of actual positive cases were being captured by positive test numbers in March/April? Could we say as low as 10%? What percentage of positive cases are being caught now? More than 50%? 

At any rate, if I wanted to get a test I could go online a book a slot at the CVS around the corner and do a self administered drive-through test with nothing more than a statement that I was in contact with someone who has it. 

Scott Gottlieb says he thinks we might still only be getting 1 in 10 positives due to asymptomatic people.... which would mean we're hitting 500,000 a day actually.

For example my sister in law in Dallas is positive.  The only reason she got tested was because she found out her niece was positive and they had a big family gathering... she works with cancer patients.  And she found out 'by accident' about her niece.  Without that she never would have gotten tested and it's been over 2 weeks and she has no symptoms.

The people in the south and the west weren't really affected by what hit us in March and April so they never developed or bought into teh good habits.  Now we're seeing how infectious it is.  

10 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Trump?

Would be nice but I'm not buying those possibilities whatsoever.

8 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Scott Gottlieb says he thinks we might still only be getting 1 in 10 positives due to asymptomatic people.... which would mean we're hitting 500,000 a day actually.

For example my sister in law in Dallas is positive.  The only reason she got tested was because she found out her niece was positive and they had a big family gathering... she works with cancer patients.  And she found out 'by accident' about her niece.  Without that she never would have gotten tested and it's been over 2 weeks and she has no symptoms.

The people in the south and the west weren't really affected by what hit us in March and April so they never developed or bought into teh good habits.  Now we're seeing how infectious it is.  

This is pretty much totally right except we only shut down here to hurt Trump so nice try

Saw some good news on the vaccine front yesterday.... no breakthroughs but rather the candidates are mostly doing what they expected so far.  Still the usual caveats obviously.... one of them caused a fever and sleep disruption.  But no steps backwards.

4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Saw some good news on the vaccine front yesterday.... no breakthroughs but rather the candidates are mostly doing what they expected so far.  Still the usual caveats obviously.... one of them caused a fever and sleep disruption.  But no steps backwards.

Shingles vaccine does that.  We were told the second dose wouldn’t be as bad.  It was.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I follow clinical trials VERY closely because of my boys and for the trial to already be in phase 3 is remarkable.  It actually gives me more hope to know they COULD get through the phases quicker if the money is behind it.