chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

https://amp.democratandchronicle.com/amp/3263469001?__twitter_impression=true

federal judge blocks ny rules restricting church attendance.

A federal judge eased Gov. Andrew Cuomo's coronavirus-fueled restrictions on religious institutions Friday, lifting a capacity cap on services as churches, mosques, temples and similar facilities.

U.S. District Judge Gary Sharpe issued a preliminary injunction Friday blocking New York from enforcing its prior cap, which limited religious institutions to 25% of their capacity in Phase 2 of the state's reopening process and 33% in Phase 4.

Instead, religious facilities will face the same 50% indoor capacity limit that restaurants and businesses currently face in New York.

He also pointed to comments from Cuomo and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio that seemed to encourage people to participate in the mass protests that followed the death of George Floyd.

Those actions displayed "preferential treatment" of protests and graduation ceremonies that were not applied equally to religious services, Sharpe noted."

Cant make one rule for people you like and another rule for religious people you dont like.  first amendment violation.

24 minutes ago, chasfh said:

1B593A4C-D52A-498A-B974-44732F417763.thumb.jpeg.08b0711777fbc488a8857394b677157d.jpeg

I mean, I don’t disagree that this **** is ****** up and that there are too many guns and people should wear masks, but I can’t say I’m loving the logical progression of this meme. 

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

https://amp.democratandchronicle.com/amp/3263469001?__twitter_impression=true

federal judge blocks ny rules restricting church attendance.

A federal judge eased Gov. Andrew Cuomo's coronavirus-fueled restrictions on religious institutions Friday, lifting a capacity cap on services as churches, mosques, temples and similar facilities.

U.S. District Judge Gary Sharpe issued a preliminary injunction Friday blocking New York from enforcing its prior cap, which limited religious institutions to 25% of their capacity in Phase 2 of the state's reopening process and 33% in Phase 4.

Instead, religious facilities will face the same 50% indoor capacity limit that restaurants and businesses currently face in New York.

He also pointed to comments from Cuomo and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio that seemed to encourage people to participate in the mass protests that followed the death of George Floyd.

Those actions displayed "preferential treatment" of protests and graduation ceremonies that were not applied equally to religious services, Sharpe noted."

Cant make one rule for people you like and another rule for religious people you dont like.  first amendment violation.

A correct decision by the judge here. Easy response is cutting everything back to 25%, which they should do anyway. 

22 hours ago, Buddha said:

chicago crime - and all crime - is fascinating to me.

but i should put it in other threads and stop rambling.

back to the subject at hand:  here's wrigleyville last weekend:

https://cwbchicago.com/2020/06/cops-chill-as-pride-partiers-overtake-halsted-street-til-4-a-m.html

were a nation of morons and this will not go away until there is a vaccine.  and then it still wont go away because we are morons.

It might not even go away when there's a vaccine either because there's still a huge group of people in this country who are anti vax because you know "personal freedoms", "my body, my choice". Isn't "The Land of the Free" wonderful?

Essentially, we'll just have to wait for the virus "to go away" like The Spanish Flu and some others do, or continue to live with it until the end of time if it never goes away like some other strains don't. Isn't "The New Normal" wonderful?

10 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I mean, I don’t disagree that this **** is ****** up and that there are too many guns and people should wear masks, but I can’t say I’m loving the logical progression of this meme. 

I think it works fine.

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think it works fine.

I would assume so. You posted it after all. 

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think it works fine.

everything connects to everything else doesn't it? You'd almost think life was some kind of continuum.

25 minutes ago, tigerbomb13 said:

That actually makes a bit of sense. I wouldn't want an expert foot doctor performing heart surgery on me. Just like I wouldn't want an infectious disease expert telling me what's best for the economy. Rand Paul is an idiot but explaining this statement properly would have it make sense. 

373 new cases today.....

I'm still not worried because the increase we saw last week has been flat since... I was concerned we'd find ourselves growing exponentially.  We're still below a daily average when we opened up.

I'm surprised we haven't heard more from the auto plants that have opened.  We had a few isolate incidents but no outbreaks (knock on wood). 

When a case like what happened at Harper's leading to 100 is big news... that's a good thing for us.  It shows how good we have it relative to the south and the west.

Cases by month for MI..... and the March figures only start on March 10... from March 10-18 we had 326 cases, then things got serious.... the fact MI is below that partial/poorly tested month for June is a positive.

Mar 7613
Apr 33764
May 16018
Jun 6473

It just feels like looking at case counts and even positive test percentage is only going to be useful from June onward. The early spike was always due to the rampant spread that was happening before any restrictions were out in place and people had any idea on how to combat this. 

I think at this point I’m starting to like raw case count as a measure. Positive test percentage probably tells us less because as more tests become available more people that probably don’t have it are still going to be motivated to get tests. So you could have real spread but percent positive decline if people are anxiously getting testing “just to know.”

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

It just feels like looking at case counts and even positive test percentage is only going to be useful from June onward. The early spike was always due to the rampant spread that was happening before any restrictions were out in place and people had any idea on how to combat this. 

I think at this point I’m starting to like raw case count as a measure. Positive test percentage probably tells us less because as more tests become available more people that probably don’t have it are still going to be motivated to get tests. So you could have real spread but percent positive decline if people are anxiously getting testing “just to know.”

A lot of businesses here are shutting down to sanitize and requiring all employees to be tested negative before they reopen if they have a single positive.  

100% masked at the Sam’s Club today.  First time I have seen that.  But some wearing the vented masks, and others with it below their nose.  I was just picking up a prescription refill so was in and out quick and didn’t have to touch anything I didn’t bring in with me except the bag with the refill in it.

8 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Insanity 

So is his comment supposed to be a positive or a negative towards mask wearers?  

And only female Muslims wear a hijab. Some of them.  It’s not required.  It’s as cultural as it is religious